Merriman debut lackluster.

morasp

Reaction score
Just watched the bolts and rams pre-season game. Merriman played in the second half. He had one tackle for a loss on a running play whrere the pulling rookie offensive lineman for the Rams didn't get over quick enough on a trap block. He had another play where he got past a block and got a hurry on the the QB. Other than that he didn't do much and seemed to get blocked out of the play when they ran to his side.

Trag3344

Benched
Reaction score
sounds like demarcus ware to me, but he didnt even get a qb pressure or a tackle for loss lol..

Trag3344

Benched
Reaction score
derrick johnson is definitely gonna be the best linebacker out of this draft.

morasp

Reaction score
Trag3344 said:
sounds like demarcus ware to me, but he didnt even get a qb pressure or a tackle for loss lol..

Actually he had two pressures against the Cardinals starters.

Reaction score
Its funny...whenever I think Of Merriman, I think of the Heath Miller draft highlights where Miller absolutely OWNED Merriman

Trag3344

Benched
Reaction score
i must of blinked cause he was looking pretty invisible on the field to me but our first team d made the cardinals offense look like they were the colts.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Trag3344 said:

Really? As I understand it, he had zero [0] stats in his debut. That's definitely less than merriman or ware.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Trag3344 said:
umm did you watch that game last night? he was everywhere.

No. I was driving elsewhere. And if I understand it correctly, this is Merriman's first game, and last week was Ware's as well. On the other hand, last night was DJ's second.

Correct me if I am wrong....

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Trag3344 said:

unless they changed the latest box score, Derrick Johnson in two preseason games has zero tackles, zero assists, zero pressures, zero sacks, zero ndada zilch anything

David

Trag3344

Benched
Reaction score
yea he done plenty last night they must not of updated the stats, he ran right over arrington and almost sacked the qb and had a few tackles in just the few minutes i watched.

jimmy40

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
unless they changed the latest box score, Derrick Johnson in two preseason games has zero tackles, zero assists, zero pressures, zero sacks, zero ndada zilch anything

David
Maybe they don't want to show other teams what he can do in the preseason. :D

Tristan

Reaction score
I watched the KC game and felt that DJ was true to his pre draft scouting reports. When he did get in on a tackle he came with authority, but more often then not I watched him get blocked out of the play. I was specifically watching him and most plays he was just lost in the shuffle of blockers, at least thats how I saw it. I think all three will be good players, but when it comes to flat out rushing the QB Ware is simply superior, especially his closing burst, no comparison IMO. From what I've seen Burnett could be everybit as good as DJ as a true OLB, which is what DJ is. Merriman played OK to me, I saw great hustle and energy, but he seemed to always be flying in there after the tackle to celebrate with the guy who actually made the tackle, his energy and strength is evident though. Again I think they will all be very good players, I still feel that Ware was the best choice. I think Merriman has similar ability, but lacks the character and work ethic. I think DJ just does not campare to these two as a pas rush LB/DE.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Tristan said:
I watched the KC game and felt that DJ was true to his pre draft scouting reports. When he did get in on a tackle he came with authority, but more often then not I watched him get blocked out of the play. I was specifically watching him and most plays he was just lost in the shuffle of blockers, at least thats how I saw it. I think all three will be good players, but when it comes to flat out rushing the QB Ware is simply superior, especially his closing burst, no comparison IMO. From what I've seen Burnett could be everybit as good as DJ as a true OLB, which is what DJ is. Merriman played OK to me, I saw great hustle and energy, but he seemed to always be flying in there after the tackle to celebrate with the guy who actually made the tackle, his energy and strength is evident though. Again I think they will all be very good players, I still feel that Ware was the best choice. I think Merriman has similar ability, but lacks the character and work ethic. I think DJ just does not campare to these two as a pas rush LB/DE.
Who's comparing DJ to a defensive end? Isn't he playing strongside linebacker for KC?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Tristan said:

Have they improved DJ's tackle technique? It was a concern of mine.

Also - I don't know why they are playing him strong side, unless it is because they want Bell to rush from weak. I would prefer DJ on the weakside, where he can haunt the QB in coverage....

jimmy40

Reaction score
Tristan said:
Ware may end up being the best OLB in history but he showed absolutely nothing in the first preseason game to warrant any praise.

Trag3344

Benched
Reaction score
ware - did ok at troy state, didn't put up terrel suggs #'s. went from a 2nd round pick somehow to #11 overall in a matter of a couple weeks, thats scary to me. what has the guy really proven? he played scrubs schools and barely dominated and was shut out against good schools.

merriman - did ok at maryland, not a real tough school. workout warrior whose stock rose almost as much as wares the last few weeks before the draft.

derrick johnson - broke records at texas, a top football program. was dominating against good schools for years and was pretty much guaranteed a 1st round pick all along. combine numbers weren't going to drop him like the others would have if their numbers sucked.

yea i'll take dj any day of the week over the other two.

morasp

Reaction score
Cheap Shot Artist said:
Its funny...whenever I think Of Merriman, I think of the Heath Miller draft highlights where Miller absolutely OWNED Merriman

They were doing that to him today also.

morasp

Reaction score
Trag3344 said:
i must of blinked cause he was looking pretty invisible on the field to me but our first team d made the cardinals offense look like they were the colts.

One of the pressures was easy to miss because it was the touchdown to Fitzgerald. They turned him loose and he used a bull rush and than shed the blocker and was on Warner very quickly but he was half a step too late.