Merriman...

bobtheflob

Reaction score
Got burned by the Jets tight end for a 40+ yard catch that lead to a TD

Ware may have been out of position on a few runs but he's never given up a huge gain.

Gordon

Reaction score
You can't expect him to cover Chris Baker. He's basically a DE trying to cover a TE.. it's a mismatch. I put that on the Chargers D Coordinator before I put it on Merriman.

I don't know why everyone's so obsessed with seeing Merriman do bad. He's gonna be avery good player and he's shown that, especially last week. We got ourselves a very good player too, so who cares?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hmm, I recall BP called Ware out for screwing up coverage on a few plays that led to scores early in the year.

and why is it that we want Merriman to do poorly?

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
abersonc said:
and why is it that we want Merriman to do poorly?
Because he hates the Cowboys now and everyone thinks he is a scumbag. It'll be another 4 years of so before we should play his team again unless we meet in the SB so I really don't care what the scumbag does.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Gordon said:
You can't expect him to cover Chris Baker. He's basically a DE trying to cover a TE.. it's a mismatch. I put that on the Chargers D Coordinator before I put it on Merriman.

?

how come you (and others) dont spin it that way when our SS is asked to cover other teams top WR's in space and gives up an occassional play?

:rolleyes:

David

Gordon

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
how come you (and others) dont spin it that way when our SS is asked to cover other teams top WR's in space and gives up an occassional play?

David

Find a post where I bashed Roy Williams and I'll answer that..

wileedog

Reaction score
Gordon said:

I don't know why everyone's so obsessed with seeing Merriman do bad. He's gonna be avery good player and he's shown that, especially last week. We got ourselves a very good player too, so who cares?

Merriman basically watched Baker run right by him. Can't really fault the Coordinator for that.

BUt I agree with the 2nd part of your post.

Hoods

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:

David

Owned. Exactly.

Plus whoever said he's basically a DE trying to cover a TE gets a laugh out loud from me. Merriman was a tweener in college. He has more experience then Ware does. Ware only played DE in college, unlike Merriman.

Gordon

Reaction score
Hoods said:
Owned. Exactly.

Plus whoever said he's basically a DE trying to cover a TE gets a laugh out loud from me. Merriman was a tweener in college. He has more experience then Ware does. Ware only played DE in college, unlike Merriman.

He's 272 pounds. For comparison purposes, he's 8 pounds lighter than Greg Ellis. Experience goes out the window when you flat out don't have the speed to keep up with the guy.

Also, if I was owned, you can join in on the search for a post where I bashed Roy. Get back at me when you find it, thanks..

wileedog

Reaction score
Gordon said:
He's 272 pounds. For comparison purposes, he's 8 pounds lighter than Greg Ellis. Experience goes out the window when you flat out don't have the speed to keep up with the guy.

He caught him from behind after the catch, so there goes that theory.

Merriman was clearly looking for help on the inside that wasn't there. Rookie mistake, thats all.

Gordon

Reaction score
wileedog said:
He caught him from behind after the catch, so there goes that theory.

Merriman was clearly looking for help on the inside that wasn't there. Rookie mistake, thats all.

Yeah, because receivers are NEVER slowed up when making a catch..

Steve Smith was caught from behind after burning Fred Smoot last week too. And no, he didn't have an angle on him, it was straight down the sideline.

Hoods

Reaction score
Gordon said:

Absolutely 100% wrong. I'm assuming you didn't watch the game. Merriman let Baker turn inside where there was no help at all. It was awful coverage that experience (or not) should cover. Don't even tell me about a "lack of speed"... After Baker caught the ball and had a good 3-5 yard head start, Merriman chased him down from behind to prevent a TD. Speed was not the issue. The pass was caught with a good lead in stride.

Gordon said:
Also, if I was owned, you can join in on the search for a post where I bashed Roy. Get back at me when you find it, thanks..

The point being others try so hard to be anti-biased that they becoming biased themselves (against the 'Boys). People will talk up another team's player and try to cover up for him in order to be "realistic", however, they'll be damned if they used the same argument with one of our players (in fear of being a "homer"). I could care less if you bash Roy or not. I was responding to the comment and those people in general. If you're not one of them, good for you.

As if I'd search through your posts anyway. :rolleyes:

wileedog

Reaction score
Gordon said:
Yeah, because receivers are NEVER slowed up when making a catch..

Steve Smith was caught from behind after burning Fred Smoot last week too. And no, he didn't have an angle on him, it was straight down the sideline.

Merriman was still facing the towards the LOS looking at Breese when Baker ran by him.

He turned and chased down Baker, ball or no ball. I don't think speed was the issue here. He wasn't running with Baker to begin with.

LBers cover TEs all the time. Just usually better.

DBoys

Reaction score
I will bet money the guys showing Merriman love are the ones that wanted to draft him. I will tell you this Merriman can rush the passer but outside of that he is nowhere close to Ware.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Because he hates the Cowboys now

Since when should guys on other teams love the Cowboys. You should be upset if someone doesn't pick you in the draft -- every spot you drop loses you some money. We took another guy who plays the same position instead of him. Why shouldn't he use that as motivation?

DBoys

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Since when should guys on other teams love the Cowboys. You should be upset if someone doesn't pick you in the draft -- every spot you drop loses you some money. We took another guy who plays the same position instead of him. Why shouldn't he use that as motivation?

Since when do the Cowboys have to draft Merriman? And why shouldn't the Cowboy's as a whole (fans included) use Merriman's comments as motivation against SD? Merrimans started the media on the whole Merriman vs Ware debate and the Cowboys took care of business and won the game. Cowboys fans are defending their team for a guy (Ware) with a lot of character. Anybody knows Merriman is a punk thug and I seriously doubt he will have any logevity in the league with his attitude.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
DBoys said:
Since when do the Cowboys have to draft Merriman? And why shouldn't the Cowboy's as a whole (fans included) use Merriman's comments as motivation against SD? Merrimans started the media on the whole Merriman vs Ware debate and the Cowboys took care of business and won the game. Cowboys fans are defending their team for a guy (Ware) with a lot of character. Anybody knows Merriman is a punk thug and I seriously doubt he will have any logevity in the league with his attitude.

Umm, that game was like 2 months ago.

Oh yeah -- the bum just got another sack.

DBoys

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Umm, that game was like 2 months ago.

Oh yeah -- the bum just got another sack.

So the comments were after the draft and before the game. Did you read my post I said he was a good pass rusher.

Wood

Reaction score
they are both most likely gonna be pretty good players. Why do we have to go thru this every week?