Metallica or Megadeth?

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
Big fans of both, I don't care for anything post Justice as far as metal goes but there are a few songs from Black and Load I like.....

triplets_93

Reaction score
Metallica at Gershwin Prize Tribute to Elton John - Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Metallica

Dave is a talented song writer / composer but his vocals held the band back big time. If he would have put his ego aside and hired a lead singer, they would be way more popular.
Dave was clearly a better singer than Hetfield who couldn't even sing properly till the black album. Dave was also light years better shredding than Hammett.

Lars was crap at the drums. I can't get passed his obviously weak left foot when it came to his clumsy blast beat attempts.

That said, I like more Metallica songs from their first four albums than I do from Megadeth's catalog, but Megadeth's best songs are better than anything Metallica has ever put out.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The Black album is one of the greatest albums of all time IMO. It's a masterpiece.
I gotta disagree with this. It was big let down for metal heads. It was a sell out album. Their first four albums are far superior.

John813

Reaction score
Metallica for me. Hetfield > Mustane for vocals to me is the factor.

Took me a while to get used to their newer stuff, and when I mean newer I referring to their 90's early 2000s albums. Haven't listened to any of their stuff from the past 10-15 years
Some albums were just bad, but Load was an album that took me a few listens to not love it but at the same time respect their slight change in sound. Until it Sleeps, Hero of the Day and even Mama Said I enjoy, even if they are different than their 80's peak.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I gotta disagree with this. It was big let down for metal heads. It was a sell out album. Their first four albums are far superior.
I never really bought into the whole "sell out" angle from fans when it comes to music. Artists are meant to change and evolve. To experiment and get out of their comfort zone. If they didn't, fans would still complain that everything they do sounds the same. The Black Album may have sounded different than their previous work, but it doesn't take away from it's brilliance. It's a damn good album from start to finish.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Contrary to my username. Gotta give the nod to Metallica.

That being said Rust In Peace is my favorite album released by either band.

This is my opinion.

Everything made by Metallica through the Black album is killer. Yes, I even like the black album. But RTL, MOP and AJFA are all near perfect records.

But Rust in Peace is just on another level. Thrash metal doesn’t get any better. Holy Wars, Take no Prisoners, Five Magics, Tornado of Souls… it’s a 10/10 album.

Mustaine + Friedman was a perfect duo that came up with incredible riff after incredible riff.

triplets_93

Reaction score
I never really bought into the whole "sell out" angle from fans when it comes to music. Artists are meant to change and evolve. To experiment and get out of their comfort zone. If they didn't, fans would still complain that everything they do sounds the same. The Black Album may have sounded different than their previous work, but it doesn't take away from it's brilliance. It's a damn good album from start to finish.
It's the Best "Sellout" Album I have ever heard.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Metallica

Dave is a talented song writer / composer but his vocals held the band back big time. If he would have put his ego aside and hired a lead singer, they would be way more popular.
I agree. The affectations he uses work well for Peace Sells, Sweating Bullets, Angry Again, and Symphony of Destruction , but it gets old.