Micah Parsons and a ho-hum draft

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Smith doesnt have the instincts that Parsons has. Never has

Parsons in college wasn’t really an instincts guy either.

Just a great athlete trying to play linebacker.

He’s still that at the pro level but getting better every week.

His best natural instincts are shown when he’s on the edge rushing QBs.

Brax

Reaction score
I am really amazed that so many of us.... well, let's be honest... me... were kind of mediocre on the Parsons pick. He fit the category of "solid draft pick" "sensible draft pick" "high floor kind of guy" You know, kind of like... we'll its our duty to fill the LB spot... so let's find a guy.

He was removed from football for one year, which cast his intensity of the game in doubt.
He was a linebacker, which Dallas has a philosophy against picking high or investing much money at the position.

So many things made Parsons seem like a routine pick... other positions of need were unfilled because other teams grabbed the players that had the flash.

And all of that was so wrong... You look at the Falcons game, where he blows up a double team, getting one pancake block on a guard, and nearly sending the other OL guy to the ground, and makes the TFL on the running back.

He uses his 4.3 speed to embarass the right tackle and explode on the quarterback. Ya remember those sports science episodes? I'd bet his mass and velocity combination is near the top... 240 lbs at 4.39 speed? Vicious... lets be honest, there was a bit of luck in drafting Parsons, especially since we traded down to get him. His redraft would be top 5, easy, and some teams might look at him as a #1 overall in a few years.

So glad that he's a Dallas Cowboy.
I thought he was a great pick, the problem I have is like so many DC picks it was blind luck like so many others and not who they wanted.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I loved the pick at the time but I did not honestly think he was going to be this good, this fast....he literally showed us what elite talent at the LB position looks like....been a long time since I've seen that.
Would you compare Parsons to Ray Lewis? Or should I say the Cowboys found the next Ray Lewis?

I’m not saying he will have Ray’s on-field resume when it’s all said and done, but Micah’s size and speed, and abilities remind me of a young Ray Lewis who took the NFL by storm in a very short time. I see a lot of that in Micah.

If I do get another jersey, I’m thinking #11.

dckid

Reaction score
I am really amazed that so many of us.... well, let's be honest... me... were kind of mediocre on the Parsons pick. He fit the category of "solid draft pick" "sensible draft pick" "high floor kind of guy" You know, kind of like... we'll its our duty to fill the LB spot... so let's find a guy.

He was removed from football for one year, which cast his intensity of the game in doubt.
He was a linebacker, which Dallas has a philosophy against picking high or investing much money at the position.

So many things made Parsons seem like a routine pick... other positions of need were unfilled because other teams grabbed the players that had the flash.

And all of that was so wrong... You look at the Falcons game, where he blows up a double team, getting one pancake block on a guard, and nearly sending the other OL guy to the ground, and makes the TFL on the running back.

He uses his 4.3 speed to embarass the right tackle and explode on the quarterback. Ya remember those sports science episodes? I'd bet his mass and velocity combination is near the top... 240 lbs at 4.39 speed? Vicious... lets be honest, there was a bit of luck in drafting Parsons, especially since we traded down to get him. His redraft would be top 5, easy, and some teams might look at him as a #1 overall in a few years.

Gotta got be the FO credit. They didn’t over think it. Yes they would have taken Surtain if he was there but I am glad we got Parsons. This is how Emmit fell to Jimmy. There is always luck involved in every draft. It’s just that the hardest working guys get the luckiest.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Biggest score out of Parsons is that we didn't get just a LB, we got a quality pass rush DE. Isn't he the best pass rusher of the draft? If teams had known how well he could rush, there's no way he makes it out of the Top Ten, maybe Top Five. Certainly gets picked before the CBs.

conner01

Reaction score
Many of us said he was a great pick
Many of us is rarely an accurate description
Most who opposed the pick did so because of the position and not the player
Some wanted slater who looks like a good player
Some wanted a CB because the need was there

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I forgot we traded down and still got him. Amazing!
His name wasn't a sexy name to the pundits, so he semi sort of went unnoticed, especially by our own fans. But I went back to the draft (here at the Zone) and there were a select few who wanted him from day 1. Props to those individuals.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I can't think of LT busting through a double team of 2 offensive lineman, pancaking one of them, then causing a TFL like that. Do you recall it ever happening?
LT was an absolute monster. Top 5 player in the history of the NFL. If Parsons does things LT has not ever done...we will win a couple of Super Bowls during his career.

kskboys

Reaction score
Biggest score out of Parsons is that we didn't get just a LB, we got a quality pass rush DE. Isn't he the best pass rusher of the draft? If teams had known how well he could rush, there's no way he makes it out of the Top Ten, maybe Top Five. Certainly gets picked before the CBs.
It was known.