CFZ Micah Parsons - Michael Irvin Comparison

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I believe one of the main reasons I find Michael Irvin to be my favorite Cowboy has to do with his desire to win. Lots of players have desire, but Irvin took it to the Nth degree.

His first year he wrecked his knee during the 9ers game. He lived in a suburb of Dallas about 6.5 miles away from Valley Ranch. He would ride his bicycle to work every day, then work out, then ride home all during the off season. Jerry has stated watching him get back from that injury was inspirational for everyone in the franchise.

Players would tell him to relax and just cash his paycheck. Michael ain't built like that. When Jimmy showed up, Michael gave him a list of the players who were just getting a paycheck. Michael wanted to win and those guys needed to go somewhere else.

During practice, Irvin would come out and challenge the defensive backs. "Who's going to make a play today?" He was vocal and on their rears from taking the practice field until they left. He held them accountable. But this was not just the average DBs that were on the team. He did this to Deion Sanders when he got here. And from things I have read, he worked Sanders over in practice every day.

Darren Woodson has stated that Michael would grab one of the third string QB's and run routes after practice, honing his skills. Woody has said over and over that Michael would run routes until he threw up. Not just one time but daily.

It is my contention Irvin was the vocal leader Aikman and Smith were not. Troy would get onto the offensive line, but I have never heard anything about him talking ish to the defense in practice. Irvin saddled up that team - I understand the team had talent - and motivated them to greatness. Irvin was 100% all the time for this team.

I see Parsons as something similar. This past off-season he took boxing lessons to improve his ability to block the hands of the defender as he mauls that guy. He is outspoken and challenges his defense to be better. He went out and joined offensive linemen from another team to practice and learn techniques. He is always working on his game and to get better. He wants to be the best, on the best defense, that wins championships.

And the team see this, and we are seeing the younger defenders respond.

I have seen fans here comment on Micah being vocal, as if he needs to shut up and just play. And I ask, why?

Perhaps these two players are not identical, but with Parsons being an asst. coach for Quinn on the field, and in the locker room and weight room, it is my feeling he could be this next generations Irvin as the bell cow for this team. The motivational player, perhaps in the style of Ray Lewis.

Off the field is another story, but then Michael Irvin was 100% there as well.

Just my opinion.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
I believe one of the main reasons I find Michael Irvin to be my favorite Cowboy has to do with his desire to win. Lots of players have desire, but Irvin took it to the Nth degree.

His first year he wrecked his knee during the 9ers game. He lived in a suburb of Dallas about 6.5 miles away from Valley Ranch. He would ride his bicycle to work every day, then work out, then ride home all during the off season. Jerry has stated watching him get back from that injury was inspirational for everyone in the franchise.

Players would tell him to relax and just cash his paycheck. Michael ain't built like that. When Jimmy showed up, Michael gave him a list of the players who were just getting a paycheck. Michael wanted to win and those guys needed to go somewhere else.

During practice, Irvin would come out and challenge the defensive backs. "Who's going to make a play today?" He was vocal and on their rears from taking the practice field until they left. He held them accountable. But this was not just the average DBs that were on the team. He did this to Deion Sanders when he got here. And from things I have read, he worked Sanders over in practice every day.

Darren Woodson has stated that Michael would grab one of the third string QB's and run routes after practice, honing his skills. Woody has said over and over that Michael would run routes until he threw up. Not just one time but daily.

It is my contention Irvin was the vocal leader Aikman and Smith were not. Troy would get onto the offensive line, but I have never heard anything about him talking ish to the defense in practice. Irvin saddled up that team - I understand the team had talent - and motivated them to greatness. Irvin was 100% all the time for this team.

I see Parsons as something similar. This past off-season he took boxing lessons to improve his ability to block the hands of the defender as he mauls that guy. He is outspoken and challenges his defense to be better. He went out and joined offensive linemen from another team to practice and learn techniques. He is always working on his game and to get better. He wants to be the best, on the best defense, that wins championships.

I have seen fans here comment on Micah being vocal, as if he needs to shut up and just play. And I ask, why?

Perhaps these two players are not identical, but with Parsons being an asst. coach for Quinn on the field, and in the locker room and weight room, it is my feeling he could be this next generations Irvin as the bell cow for this team. The motivational player, perhaps in the style of Ray Lewis.

Just my opinion.
ctice

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score

Just my opinion.
Mike is my favorite COWBOY too. IMO, he was the heart and soul of that great team. When Joe Buck compared Dez (who I love too) to Mike, Troy quickly corrected him. Saying he was a team player and would be the first to congratulate his teammate on a big play or a TD, even if he wasn't on the field. I remember that.

Mike worked Prime-Time in that NFC Championship too. Ugh. That defensive pass interference non-call. :mad: I'm STILL angry about that.

Mike has more emotion than any player I've ever seen. He still has it too. That emotion can get you in trouble though. But as someone who has it, and knows others who don't, I wouldn't change a thing.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Mike is my favorite COWBOY too. IMO, he was the heart and soul of that great team. When Joe Buck compared Dez (who I love too) to Mike, Troy quickly corrected him. Saying he was a team player and would be the first to congratulate his teammate on a big play or a TD, even if he wasn't on the field. I remember that.

Mike worked Prime-Time in that NFC Championship too. Ugh. That defensive pass interference non-call. :mad: I'm STILL angry about that.

Mike has more emotion than any player I've ever seen. He still has it too. That emotion can get you in trouble though. But as someone who has it, and knows others who don't, I wouldn't change a thing.
An arm bar is pass interference. Even if it's a non-call by a ref who should have been doing his job.

I think what irks me most about that is Steve Young got a ring that season. I am with you. I am still angry.

Love to see Dallas down by three after that nightmare first half and 6 minutes plus left on the clock. I believe the Cowboys would have come back and won that game.

lukemartin79

Reaction score

Just my opinion.
I remember Aikman saying many years ago that Irvin was the first guy to show up for practice and the last to leave. Jimmy Johnson said Irvin was like that in college too. I remember him being the biggest cheerleader on the sidelines too when the defense was on the field. He didn't just go sit on the bench and wait until it was time for the offense to go back out. He was up there cheering on his defense. I don't believe Ive ever watched anyone who hated to lose and wanted to win more than the Playmaker. He was a mess personally,away from the field, but seemed to be a fantastic teammate.

plasticman

Reaction score
I agree, you've got to have that guy.

You need the guy that understands why they are playing the game, what is really important. To Irvins credit, sometimes he didn't get the big numbers in a game but he was always there blocking hard for the other guys. He just wanted to win and he wanted to be a difference maker.

That is Parsons in a nutshell. He won't get credit for a whole lot of sacks he created by absorbing the attention and letting someone else prosper as a result. He is focused on being the best.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Just my opinion.
Does Michah have a bike?

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
as usual we probably agree on way more things that we disagree on.
I know who you're frustrated with. I am too at times. You pick and choose your battles. Nothing wrong with that. The difference is you don't CONSTANTLY whine about him all the time like one member here does. It gets tiresome. His favorite team isn't even our COWBOYS. That's what irks me.

Cheers, brother. GO COWBOYS!

rags747

Reaction score
Irvin was definitely the Life Blood of those 90’s teams, no doubt about it.

bsbellomy

Reaction score

Just my opinion.
Seeing how Sanders has succeeded as a coach I'm not sure how Mike hasn't been. Seems like he would be a great motivator.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Just my opinion.
Nothing wrong with Micah being boisterous and team driven, always wanting to get better and motivate the team to do the same. My only issue is the few times he criticizes veterans due to their pay or criticizes the team for coming up short when he at times comes up short as well. There is a time and place for everything.