News: Michael Downs suffering from brain condition

Hardline

Reaction score
Rice University legend Trevor Cobb organizes benefit for former Owl Michael Downs

https://abc13.com/michael-downs-ben...2k2SAHlpICwnVenFDSifNCSpN4UvDCYBTQO-KBTYksXMw

58ff8f5128aa28024a0f750fbf38e269.jpg

Hypotenoose

Reaction score
Very sad to hear. Downs and Walls were quite the pair as UDFAs in the secondary. Much like Jayron Kearse, Downs was a tall safety himself at 6'3".
Had no idea he was that tall. Of course, when he played everyone looked like a giant to me.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Funny story - I have a friend here in Houston named Otis Mack who played DB for Rice when Downs was there. Once, when they were playing UT and Earl Campbell, Downs jumped on Earl’s back, but Earl wasn’t going down. Piggy-back ride for 10 yards and Otis is yelling “jump off, jump off”. He didn’t want that play to be on the Jumbotron the next year. LoL , too late! ;)

Get well Michael!

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh man, that dude was a player who doesn't get the recognition he deserves b/c he played during an era when the cowboys were transitioning from the 70's glitz and glam to hard times. He was a great hitter.

The young fans probably can't comprehend an era when anything short of the super bowl was a bad year.

Flamma

Reaction score
I remember him well. Downs I think was with Fellows, Thurman, and Walls. I couldn't tell you who played S or CB, other than Walls was a corner. For some reason I always remember them, but not the players that were at that position 5-10 years ago.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember him well. Downs I think was with Fellows, Thurman, and Walls. I couldn't tell you who played S or CB, other than Walls was a corner. For some reason I always remember them, but not the players that were at that position 5-10 years ago.

Thurman's Thieves was their nickname.

Sorry to hear this about Michael Downs. I really liked him.