News: Michael Gallup Talks Contract

817Gill

Reaction score
"Obviously, I'd love to stay here," he said. "I'd love to be in Dallas. I love the community, love the city, love the fans, so it's up in the air, but I want to be right here. So we'll see."

Interesting to hear him discuss it, my feeling is he’ll be open to a team friendly deal but some team will blow us out of the water. As a 3rd round pick he’s going to have to take that money.

Link to full article:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...dak-prescott-contract-status-beyond-2021/amp/

Jipper

Reaction score
"Obviously, I'd love to stay here," he said. "I'd love to be in Dallas. I love the community, love the city, love the fans, so it's up in the air, but I want to be right here. So we'll see."

Interesting to hear him discuss it, my feeling is he’ll be open to a team friendly deal but some team will blow us out of the water. As a 3rd round pick he’s going to have to take that money.

Link to full article:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...dak-prescott-contract-status-beyond-2021/amp/

while i appreciate the optimism on a "team friendly" deal...i think its all bs...players, esp in dallas, are rarely willing to leave money on the table esp on their second contract. Hes probably gone unforutnatly

Qcard

Reaction score
while i appreciate the optimism on a "team friendly" deal...i think its all bs...players, esp in dallas, are rarely willing to leave money on the table esp on their second contract. Hes probably gone unforutnatly
I agree.....Stephen Jones COO will have FREE reign after Dak's deal. Stephen will penny pinch and eventually blame failure on Dak's contract

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Yep, have to agree here. Gallup is just saying all the right things as he should. These guys wait for 4 years so they can get paid. He will be going to the highest bidder. I dont think we can even be in the ballpark. Drafting Lamb sealed the deal for Gallup or Cooper. One has to go.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why would anyone expect him not to get the max for his services? He's certainly given that on the field.

The question is his involvement in the offense this season. Do they feature Lamb more and try and showcase Fehoko because they know they're going to lose Gallup?

Is there a situation where they end up with Lamb/Gallup at 1/2 or Cooper/Gallup and trade the odd guy out?

If I am McC and Moore, I'd want to find out if Lamb can be a more consistent 1WR than Cooper. Cooper has had this invisible man thing since he got in the league.

The real question is how does Gallup view himself? Does he see himself as a #1 and want #1 money, who could blame him? He's been a great pick.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The question is his involvement in the offense this season. Do they feature Lamb more and try and showcase Fehoko because they know they're going to lose Gallup?

What? Dude is in a contract year and will want to showcase himself to the max. Why would we throw an unseasoned rookie to the wolves when we'd have a guy wanting to produce extra hard? You ride that horse for all its worth if you can. Why would you handicap your offense?

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
lol this is all just talk he will perform at his max this season and will want to be paid the maximum amount he can get regardless of where it is they all do and they all say these things after this season he will be playing for another team its that simple

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What? Dude is in a contract year and will want to showcase himself to the max. Why would we throw an unseasoned rookie to the wolves when we'd have a guy wanting to produce extra hard? You ride that horse for all its worth if you can. Why would you handicap your offense?
I don't know if it is handicapping the offense.

There's two ways to look at it. The Demarco Murray way and run his legs off or see what you've got behind at 4-6 for future options. What good is showcasing Gallup to the max except to get him a bigger deal? Unless they're going to try and trade him before the deadline. They will have 8 or 9 weeks to showcase him for another team before the trade deadline. And we know, starting WR's will fall.

Unseasoned rookie WR's get thrown to the wolves every season.

nobody

Reaction score
Why would anyone expect him not to get the max for his services? He's certainly given that on the field.

Is there a situation where they end up with Lamb/Gallup at 1/2 or Cooper/Gallup and trade the odd guy out?

If I am McC and Moore, I'd want to find out if Lamb can be a more consistent 1WR than Cooper. Cooper has had this invisible man thing since he got in the league.

The real question is how does Gallup view himself? Does he see himself as a #1 and want #1 money, who could blame him? He's been a great pick.

He's a solid number two receiver. He is not a number one given that he did not produce number one numbers when Cooper was out. So he should be paid as a number two.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Link to full article:

Curtis Samuel I would imagine is the comp, so would have to see what the Skins payed and structured that contract.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Wait, weren't you saying they should do the exact opposite with Schultz

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Yep, have to agree here. Gallup is just saying all the right things as he should. These guys wait for 4 years so they can get paid. He will be going to the highest bidder. I dont think we can even be in the ballpark. Drafting Lamb sealed the deal for Gallup or Cooper. One has to go.
Is it just me or what? But I'd rather we keep our homegrown players. So I'd rather trade Cooper and re-sign Gallup.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I don't know if it is handicapping the offense.

There's two ways to look at it. The Demarco Murray way and run his legs off or see what you've got behind at 4-6 for future options. What good is showcasing Gallup to the max except to get him a bigger deal? Unless they're going to try and trade him before the deadline. They will have 8 or 9 weeks to showcase him for another team before the trade deadline. And we know, starting WR's will fall.

Unseasoned rookie WR's get thrown to the wolves every season.

Gallup knows the offense and knows Dak. Having a QB trust you is essential. There's no guarantee Fehoko will gain a foothold in either realm. If Gallup breaks out, it could tip scales towards keeping him versus Cooper. That's unlikely but why not give yourself every option imaginable on a guy with built-in motivation for the season? This is all moot because Fehoko won't be showcased no matter what. You don't talk potential 3 1,000 yard receivers (all of whom have chemistry with the QB) and then risk it with some kid unless one goes down to injury. Even then, they aren't relying on Fehoko to shoulder any load and might step up Jarwin targets.

Remember, this is a team that didn't want to showcase kids at positions even when we all knew they weren't going to do anything if they somehow got into the playoffs last season. But do it when we have a healthy, motivated Gallup out there? Not a chance.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Is it just me or what? But I'd rather we keep our homegrown players. So I'd rather trade Cooper and re-sign Gallup.
Yes, I agree.

If we could find a trading partner before the trade deadline for Amari Cooper, the Cowboys could get Cooper's $20 million/year contract off of their shoulders, thus be able to resign and keep the younger, more durable and very productive Michael Gallup.

Our WR Corp would then look like:

WR1: CeeDee
WR2: Gallup
WR3: Wilson
WR4: Brown
WR5: Fehoko
WR6: Vasher

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Wait, weren't you saying they should do the exact opposite with Schultz

Nope. I was saying that's how you could look at it the way the cards would fall because Jarwin is the superior talent. You put the better guy out there but in Schultz' case, he's in a contract year and if you want to retain him it does reduce his asking price if the front office does want to move forward with him instead of Jarwin due to Jarwin being unreliable for injuries or just flat out wanting to get cheaper at the position and being happy with that level of production.

Last edited: