Michael Irvin: Get Dak's extension done now!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Michael Irvin explains why the Cowboys need to get an extension done with Dak Prescott right now

When it comes to contract extensions for quarterbacks, it's been a busy offseason in the NFL.

Over the past three months, we've seen Russell Wilson, Ben Roethlisberger and Carson Wentzall land lucrative extensions that will pay them between $32 million (Wentz) and $35 million per season (Wilson). With those three deals done, all eyes are now on Dallas, where the Cowboys are trying to hammer out an extension with Dak Prescott.

With Prescott and the Cowboys currently at a stalemate in negotiations, it's not clear when a deal is actually going to get done.

During an interview with 105.3 The Fan in Dallas on Friday, Irvin had some advice for the Cowboys: Get Dak's extension done now.

"Every minute you wait, it's costing money," Irvin said during the interview. "This is an asset that's trending in the right direction. You got to pay him this money."

Irvin's definitely right; every minute the Cowboys wait is potentially costing them millions. As former NFL agent Joel Corry pointed out this week, the Cowboys might have been able to get Prescott to sign a deal worth under $30 million per yearif they had been able work out an extension before the Wentz deal, but after watching Wentz get an extension worth $32 million per year, that's likely the minimum Prescott will be gunning for.

Basically, the Cowboys cost themselves millions by not getting a deal done before the Eagles, something that Irvin also pointed out.

"Dak's agents aren't gonna let you come in under Carson Wentz," Irvin said. "If they don't pay Dak, we can all pack it up and go home. It's over. How are you going to get anything out of the other guys if they're seeing that you aren't taking care of the top guy? Why should I give you all I got? You got to be smart about this, and this is a no-brainer."

The Cowboys could cost themselves even more money if they let Jared Goff sign an extension before Prescott. If Goff were to land $33 million per year, Prescott's camp could aim to top that.

As for Irvin, another reason he wants to see a deal get done is because he doesn't want to see the Cowboys turn into one of those teams that doesn't really have a franchise quarterback.

"There's no doubt in my mind Dak is the right guy," Irvin said in a separate interview on Wednesday, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "Look at these teams: I mean, people stop it. Look at these damn teams. Dolphins, Jaguars: They've been looking for a quarterback for almost 15-20 years. This ain't easy to find. It's not easy to find and you don't let one walk out the door if you got one."

"When you have the heart and soul and leader of your team at the quarterback position, I don't know why we're talking about his money," Irvin said. "That's worth $15-20 million, by itself, a year. Now you got to pay him to play football also. I mean, let's be real here. It shouldn't even be a discussion when we talk about it, and the amount of wins this man has had, and the way he's won football games. It shouldn't even be a discussion. It really shouldn't."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...n-extension-done-with-dak-prescott-right-now/

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
source.gif

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't do it now, when the cost just got bumped up. Dak and his representatives are surely looking for more money now, and why wouldn't they? What risk are they or their client under at this point in the year? Answer? None. But let's see how injury risk on their part affects willingness to negotiate?

This article doesn't take into account that Dak's agents may have been the ones who chose to wait. You can't sign a player that's unwilling to sign unless you're just giving them whatever dollars they're asking for, or more.

But if you've gone this far, let it play out longer, to when player and agent have to assume a measure of risk of injury, and then see if they still wait to play that waiting game. If so, I've got this year at $2 million and two more franchise tag years that will total three years and less than $65 million which is far better than any "$34 million" extension today will give me.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
You don't do it now, when the cost just got bumped up. Dak and his representatives are surely looking for more money now, and why wouldn't they? What risk are they or their client under at this point in the year? Answer? None. But let's see how injury risk on their part affects willingness to negotiate?

This article doesn't take into account that Dak's agents may have been the ones who chose to wait. You can't sign a player that's unwilling to sign unless you're just giving them whatever dollars they're asking for, or more.

But if you've gone this far, let it play out longer, to when player and agent have to assume a measure of risk of injury, and then see if they still wait to play that waiting game. If so, I've got this year at $2 million and two more franchise tag years that will total three years and less than $65 million which is far better than any "$34 million" extension today will give me.
What do you think is gonna happen when Mahomes blows the cap after next season? If Dak puts in another season similar to last year then were gonna have to bump it up substantially

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What do you think is gonna happen when Mahomes blows the cap after next season?

Why do you assume that's going to happen? The Chiefs have Mahomes under contract for three more years. But some fans want to simply assume that they'll bend over backwards to make him the highest paid quarterback in league history? Why? What incentive would the Chiefs or anyone have to do that?

If Dak puts in another season similar to last year then were gonna have to bump it up substantially

Elaborate on "substantial"? It seems like you're under several false assumptions here.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Or Dak could decide to sit out, then the Cowboys would be truly screwed. Lost season this year and very likely the next 2 as well. No guarantee you will find as good as a replacement the next 2 drafts, plus you definitely will lose a lot of key veterans by then.

If I were Dak, I would sit out and wait. With the league's hardest schedule in tow, Cowboys are very likely capable of starting the season 0-4 for the month of September. I guarantee that will force Jerry to pay Dak his money.

:popcorn:

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
The Cowboys could cost themselves even more money if they let Jared Goff sign an extension before Prescott. If Goff were to land $33 million per year, Prescott's camp could aim to top that.
People pretend that the Eagles cost the Cowboys money as if the Cowboys alone are resposnible for making a contract with Dak.

If you're Dak's camp wouldn't you have waited for Wentz to get done as you have a credible argument for more $$$?

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Why do you assume that's going to happen? The Chiefs have Mahomes under contract for three more years. But some fans want to simply assume that they'll bend over backwards to make him the highest paid quarterback in league history? Why? What incentive would the Chiefs or anyone have to do that?

Elaborate on "substantial"? It seems like you're under several false assumptions here.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Sunday that the Chiefs are expected to extend Mahomes' rookie contract after the 2019 season and that the deal could break league records.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Everyone assumes waiting is costing us money. Unless Dak has a terrible season, in which case waiting will save us money.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
People pretend that the Eagles cost the Cowboys money as if the Cowboys alone are resposnible for making a contract with Dak.

If you're Dak's camp wouldn't you have waited for Wentz to get done as you have a credible argument for more $$$?
Not necessarily. Wentz was a Top 3 overall pick, so the Eagles had his rookie contract in place through the end of 2020. The Eagles didn't need to extend Wentz right now, much less pay him $32 mil/season after knowing Wentz is injury-prone and has yet to play in a playoff game.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Sunday that the Chiefs are expected to extend Mahomes' rookie contract after the 2019 season and that the deal could break league records.
Lol. You'd better hurry and anté up, Jerry. Dak's cost is getting bigger and bigger by the day.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or Dak could decide to sit out, then the Cowboys would be truly screwed. Lost season this year and very likely the next 2 as well. No guarantee you will find as good as a replacement the next 2 drafts, plus you definitely will lose a lot of key veterans by then.

And then his contract tolls over to the next year and he still gets nowhere. Name me the last quarterback that sat things out with money like this involved. He'll do no such thing.

If I were Dak, I would sit out and wait. With the league's hardest schedule in tow, Cowboys are very likely capable of starting the season 0-4 for the month of September. I guarantee that will force Jerry to pay Dak his money.

:popcorn:

I guarantee that he would hurt nobody but himself. In fact, I'd love to see him even try it. It would be career suicide and will never happen. The idea is preposterous.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Would you happen to have a copy of that report? Because I'll believe any such thing when I see it. The Chiefs would be fools to give up two years after this one of reasonable salaries to "break league records".

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
And then his contract tolls over to the next year and he still gets nowhere. Name me the last quarterback that sat things out with money like this involved. He'll do no such thing.

I guarantee that he would hurt nobody but himself. In fact, I'd love to see him even try it. It would be career suicide and will never happen. The idea is preposterous.
Preposterous is you suggesting Jerry not give Dak his due extension right now. No way in Hell will Dak play for only $2 mil this last rookie contractual season and risk injury which would cost Dak his due big pay for the future.

If Jerry doesn't sign him before the season starts, I expect Dak to pull an Emmitt Smith.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Preposterous is you suggesting Jerry not give Dak his due extension right now. No way in Hell will Dak play for only $2 mil this last rookie contractual season and risk injury which would cost Dak his due big pay for the future.

If Dak and his agent won't accept a new deal, then that's exactly what they'd have to do. It's their choice. Work out a contract extension or play under the current terms. Those are the options.

If Jerry doesn't sign him before the season starts, I expect Dak to pull an Emmitt Smith.

Like I said, let him try, and screw himself. I have zero fear of that happening, absolutely none.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

If the team is already 0-4 then go ahead and let him sit. He'll be under that same contract next season and no closer to free agency. Both parties lose in that scenario.

I don't see Dak sitting out this season. If a deal isn't done and the Cowboys franchise him next year, he may refuse to sign it and we're playing the D Law game again.