Michael Irvin: Teams may try to exploit the Cowboys with Tight Ends

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Nothing suprising here, but I thought some of it was interesting.

Michael Irvin is discussing the emergence of teams like New Orleans and if they are a threat to the Cowboys.

During this conversation, he stated that Vernon Davis was open more than a few times during the 49ers game. To continue, he states that you better believe other teams we play will see that and try their best to exploit it.

He admitted that alot of teams don't have a Vernon Davis but he said good Quarterbacks will find a way to exploit this matchup.

I personally think this was a thinly veiled shot at the Safeties of the Cowboys.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2442463 said:

Michael Irvin is discussing the emergence of teams like New Orleans and if they are a threat to the Cowboys.

During this conversation, he stated that Vernon Davis was open more than a few times during the 49ers game. To continue, he states that you better believe other teams we play will see that and try their best to exploit it.

He admitted that alot of teams don't have a Vernon Davis but he said good Quarterbacks will find a way to exploit this matchup.

I personally think this was a thinly veiled shot at the Safeties of the Cowboys.

I think Davis much like many talented TE do create somewhat of a mis-match with LB and Safeties. I think there are some other TE that we will face that will present a big challenge to the defense as well.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
Carlson of Seattle looked good and likely their most dangerous weapon. I wouldn't mind Henry on him.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
If/when the Cowboys get healthy at CB, Henry should get a lot of reps at FS. It's the only thing that looks like it will help, and the only chance to sure this up a little. We simply don't have any talent at safety to put out there otherwise.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I do not believe they have had to worry about the TEs with their WRs running free as they have been. Watching Isaac Bruce look like the next coming was a bit disconcerting.

If we tighten up on the WRs, you will probably see this happening, no question.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
There's no doubt that we're vulnerable with Bradie James and Keith Davis out there in coverage.

Really, it's amazing teams haven't been able to exploit Keith Davis more often. You have to credit the defensive scheme a little bit for that, because we know from several years of experience that Davis isn't very good. But somehow it hasn't been a major problem yet.

superpunk

Reaction score
Shot at safeties or a shot at the inability of our LBs to get depth.

Am I the only person alive who thinks that Anthony Henry has been just as bad or worse at safety than he is at CB? I keep seeing the pleading for him to get on the field at safety, and he has - he's just been terrible at it.

aikemirv

Reaction score
superpunk;2442497 said:
Shot at safeties or a shot at the inability of our LBs to get depth.

Am I the only person alive who thinks that Anthony Henry has been just as bad or worse at safety than he is at CB? I keep seeing the pleading for him to get on the field at safety, and he has - he's just been terrible at it.

When, outside of the Cleveland game when he had Winslow have you seen him play Safety? He has been the starting CB on that side every game that he has been out there.

superpunk

Reaction score
aikemirv;2442500 said:
When, outside of the Cleveland game when he had Winslow have you seen him play Safety? He has been the starting CB on that side every game that he has been out there.
I think he played some safety at the end of the SF game. I think he played some last season too, in our dime. Results have ranged from inconclusive to bad.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My biggest concern all year has been the middle of the field. For some reason, we leave the middle of the field open half the time on passing downs. There have been a lot of times that I've been very happy we're playing against pocket quarterbacks because there have been many times where the qb could have run for 10-15 yards.

Regarding tight-ends, I actually think we do a good job against them overall. I am more concerned with running backs, fullbacks, etc. coming out of the backfield uncovered and occasionally having quarterbacks take off running.

We always seem to pressure from the outside. Just one game I would like to see us use a delayed up-the-middle blitz from a single linebacker. We rushed more up the middle against the 49ers, but it was mainly immediate blitzes and I think we need to show the other teams that the pressure can come from anywhere, not just the outside, and at any time.

-Reality

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Reality;2442556 said:
My biggest concern all year has been the middle of the field. For some reason, we leave the middle of the field open half the time on passing downs. There have been a lot of times that I've been very happy we're playing against pocket quarterbacks because there have been many times where the qb could have run for 10-15 yards.

Regarding tight-ends, I actually think we do a good job against them overall. I am more concerned with running backs, fullbacks, etc. coming out of the backfield uncovered and occasionally having quarterbacks take off running.

We always seem to pressure from the outside. Just one game I would like to see us use a delayed up-the-middle blitz from a single linebacker. We rushed more up the middle against the 49ers, but it was mainly immediate blitzes and I think we need to show the other teams that the pressure can come from anywhere, not just the outside, and at any time.

-Reality

We do give up the middle at times and QBs have taken off in designed plays lately.

And you're right on with our vunerability against RBs and FBs out of the backfield. Bradie has a hard time covering that esp out in the flats. He doesn't get deep enough either. I wonder why Thomas doesn't get more opportunities. I think it's more on the LBs to cover underneath and the flats. But the safeties on this team are weaker than the rest of the D.

pgreptom

Reaction score
superpunk;2442505 said:
I think he played some safety at the end of the SF game. I think he played some last season too, in our dime. Results have ranged from inconclusive to bad.

I DEFINITELY don't remember seeing him out there at the end of the SF game. Especially considering Jenkins went to the lockerroom for an injury.. that left us with Newman, Henry, and Scandrick.

How are you basing his performance at FS off one game vs. Cleveland? I think we've only had healthy corners for one game outside of Cleveland, and Henry still played CB(This was 2 games ago.)

superpunk

Reaction score
pgreptom;2442570 said:
I DEFINITELY don't remember seeing him out there at the end of the SF game. Especially considering Jenkins went to the lockerroom for an injury.. that left us with Newman, Henry, and Scandrick.

How are you basing his performance at FS off one game vs. Cleveland? I think we've only had healthy corners for one game outside of Cleveland, and Henry still played CB(This was 2 games ago.)
Here are our options.

We can go off the times we've seen him at safety, no matter how rare that is, and say hey - he hasn't played that well at safety when given the opportunity.

Or, we can just assume that he'd be great at it.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Offenses may try to exploit defenses with tight ends. That is true across the whole NFL and just about every team is vulnerable to an offense with a good tight end.

zeromaster

Reaction score
The emergence of New Orleans? Because they beat down Green Bay last night?

They were supposed to have emerged a couple of years ago when Payton took over the HC job. Better late than never I guess...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I'm w/ superpunk regarding Henry to FS

although I'm basing it on his tackling, dude misses too many tackles to play safety, he won't have anyone behind him to help finish up plays, because at safety he would be the last line of defense

Big D

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2442492 said:
There's no doubt that we're vulnerable with Bradie James and Keith Davis out there in coverage.

Really, it's amazing teams haven't been able to exploit Keith Davis more often. You have to credit the defensive scheme a little bit for that, because we know from several years of experience that Davis isn't very good. But somehow it hasn't been a major problem yet.

Yes and consistent pressure on the qb without it any safety/linebacker combo in the league will get exposed just ask Roy W. It's really too bad that Roy got hurt because with the pass rush we're seeing this year he would've been back in a big way.

joseephuss;2442587 said:
Offenses may try to exploit defenses with tight ends. That is true across the whole NFL and just about every team is vulnerable to an offense with a good tight end.

:hammer:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2442463 said:

He wouldn't take a shot at the cowboys safeties for no reason. I'm sure everything he mentioned - whether a shot or not - was laced in truth.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2442694 said:
I'm w/ superpunk regarding Henry to FS

although I'm basing it on his tackling, dude misses too many tackles to play safety, he won't have anyone behind him to help finish up plays, because at safety he would be the last line of defense

I've been against this for a long while.

But given that we've got what looks to be 3 other good CBs (not counting Adam Jones) and that Henry has been mediocre this year, I'm on board (for a look at least)

But really this is all about who stays next year. Is it Henry or Roy Williams? Both are at points in their career where they are cutable (doesn't really hurt our cap to get rid of them). If Henry moves to FS, I can't see us keeping Roy as a part time player.