Michael Irvin: Teams may try to exploit the Cowboys with Tight Ends

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2443720 said:
I've been against this for a long while.

But given that we've got what looks to be 3 other good CBs (not counting Adam Jones) and that Henry has been mediocre this year, I'm on board (for a look at least)

But really this is all about who stays next year. Is it Henry or Roy Williams? Both are at points in their career where they are cutable (doesn't really hurt our cap to get rid of them). If Henry moves to FS, I can't see us keeping Roy as a part time player.

Isn't Henry's contract up after this season anyway?

Nevermind, he has one year left after this season.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
superpunk;2442497 said:
Shot at safeties or a shot at the inability of our LBs to get depth.

Am I the only person alive who thinks that Anthony Henry has been just as bad or worse at safety than he is at CB? I keep seeing the pleading for him to get on the field at safety, and he has - he's just been terrible at it.

I agree and actually said the same thing last week when I heard Pacman was coming back and another poster had a list of 14 or 15 guys on D that probably wouldn't be back next year. Henry didn't look to bad this game though.

He's always hobbled, that's his problem. I do believe if we're going to play him put him over there at FS and slide Hamlin over to SS. IF we're going to play Henry, which we will.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Going by a lot of the pictures my wife took at the game, Watkins spends a lot of the time staring at the ground. That would explain some struggles in the secondary. If he kept his head up he might improve his game.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
superpunk;2442497 said:
Shot at safeties or a shot at the inability of our LBs to get depth.

Am I the only person alive who thinks that Anthony Henry has been just as bad or worse at safety than he is at CB? I keep seeing the pleading for him to get on the field at safety, and he has - he's just been terrible at it.

You make a good point, and what also bothers me is putting Henry on a tight end increases his risk of injury. He is somewhat fragile.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2442492 said:
There's no doubt that we're vulnerable with Bradie James and Keith Davis out there in coverage.

Really, it's amazing teams haven't been able to exploit Keith Davis more often. You have to credit the defensive scheme a little bit for that, because we know from several years of experience that Davis isn't very good. But somehow it hasn't been a major problem yet.

Davis has had a few good plays, and you're right...the defensive scheme has done a fair job of covering up this weakness. Kinda reminds of me of when we had Larry Brown out on the field. He was the weak link in the secondary, but had some flashes of great play. The Cowboys did their best to disquise that weakness back in those years.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Well we'd need to know what the average Joe TE are doing on game days when people play Dallas. I believe it's some what misleading to assume because VD, who causes major match up problems for any defense cause of his size and speed, was open that it means that anyone in the league, with just any old TE, will be able to try and exploit that.

I'd like to know what others have done. I mean Cooley isn't a terrible TE, or anything, and he didn't light us up. Winslow is a pretty good TE and after a good first possession didn't much at all against Dallas.

So I'm not sure that I get where he's going with this other than to say that a freak of a TE, speed wise, was able to run open some in the secondary. That doesn't exactly translate to something that everyone out there is going to be able to exploit.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2444066 said:
Well we'd need to know what the average Joe TE are doing on game days when people play Dallas. I believe it's some what misleading to assume because VD, who causes major match up problems for any defense cause of his size and speed, was open that it means that anyone in the league, with just any old TE, will be able to try and exploit that.

I'd like to know what others have done. I mean Cooley isn't a terrible TE, or anything, and he didn't light us up. Winslow is a pretty good TE and after a good first possession didn't much at all against Dallas.

So I'm not sure that I get where he's going with this other than to say that a freak of a TE, speed wise, was able to run open some in the secondary. That doesn't exactly translate to something that everyone out there is going to be able to exploit.

I agree. Going up aginst a talented TE is a mis-match for most teams. For instance most LB or safety will not win a matchup with Witten. Jason is not the only talented TE in the NFL

dallas_112678

Reaction score
superpunk;2442581 said:
Here are our options.

We can go off the times we've seen him at safety, no matter how rare that is, and say hey - he hasn't played that well at safety when given the opportunity.

Or, we can just assume that he'd be great at it.

Or somewhat like the first one, we can say hey - he hasnt played that well when given the few opportunities but Keith Davis cannot cover a TE if his life depended on it which weve seen the past few years and watkins gets trucked by a qb. So would you want to take a chance and hope he gets the hang of it or stick with the people you know cant do it? I would throw him out there and hope to god he can do it.