Micheal Huff= Quinton Jammer

neosapien23

Reaction score
Does anyone remember when Jammer was one pick away from the Cowboys? I was extremely ticked off when San Diego grabbed him. Thinking back on it, I am extremely glad they did. Jammer is not a bust, but he has never lived up to his 5th overall draft status. I think Huff will be the same. Like Jammer he was a tweener between CB and safety. If a team drafts Huff extremely high expecting him to become a shut down corner, they will be extremely disappointed.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Best to keep him at safety, even with his speed.

PacoReloaded

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Does anyone remember when Jammer was one pick away from the Cowboys? I was extremely ticked off when San Diego grabbed him. Thinking back on it, I am extremely glad they did. Jammer is not a bust, but he has never lived up to his 5th overall draft status. I think Huff will be the same. Like Jammer he was a tweener between CB and safety. If a team drafts Huff extremely high expecting him to become a shut down corner, they will be extremely disappointed.
Yeah, I know another corner on our current roster that hasn't exactly lived up to his draft status. I know of a safety on our roster who has done the same.

What else is new?

wick

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:

Comparing Jammer to Huff is proof positive that you have a poor grasp on their respective games and how Texas approaches the defensive backfield. Jammer was the prototypical big, physical corner before rule changes that made such players a dying breed. Huff is not that kind of player. He is both faster than Jammer and a much more fluid athlete (better hip turn).

While Huff was used primarily as a safety, Texas employs a four-corner approach in the secondary. Huff took over the strong safety spot from Nathan Vasher, who is doing quite well at corner in the NFL right now. It was Huff who was given man-to-man responsibilities when Texas played teams with great receivers, and he almost always shut his man down. Witness the 2004 Oklahoma game (Mark Clayton) and the 2005 Ohio State game (Ted Ginn Jr.) as prime examples.

I'm not saying Huff will necessarily turn out better than Jammer, but they are nothing alike as prospects.

neosapien23

Reaction score
wick said:
Comparing Jammer to Huff is proof positive that you have a poor grasp on their respective games and how Texas approaches the defensive backfield. Jammer was the prototypical big, physical corner before rule changes that made such players a dying breed. Huff is not that kind of player. He is both faster than Jammer and a much more fluid athlete (better hip turn).

While Huff was used primarily as a safety, Texas employs a four-corner approach in the secondary. Huff took over the strong safety spot from Nathan Vasher, who is doing quite well at corner in the NFL right now. It was Huff who was given man-to-man responsibilities when Texas played teams with great receivers, and he almost always shut his man down. Witness the 2004 Oklahoma game (Mark Clayton) and the 2005 Ohio State game (Ted Ginn Jr.) as prime examples.

I'm not saying Huff will necessarily turn out better than Jammer, but they are nothing alike as prospects.

I don't think you remember how fast Jammer was. He ran his forty faster than 4.4. I think his time was actually about the same as Newman's. You are right about Jammer being labeled a physical corner, but the guy was fast. I don't think Huff will be a good corner right away. He will probably be a late bloomer like Jammer who is just barley coming around. I was just saying that the team that drafts him should play him at FS.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
I don't think you remember how fast Jammer was. He ran his forty faster than 4.4. I think his time was actually about the same as Newman's. You are right about Jammer being labeled a physical corner, but the guy was fast. I don't think Huff will be a good corner right away. He will probably be a late bloomer like Jammer who is just barley coming around. I was just saying that the team that drafts him should play him at FS.
He forty was actually a 4.43 as reported by CNN SI. Neither his forty time nor his game speed is comparable to Newman's.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
PacoReloaded said:
Yeah, I know another corner on our current roster that hasn't exactly lived up to his draft status. I know of a safety on our roster who has done the same.

What else is new?

I'd say maybe you should watch them more closely...

probably 25-30 teams in this league that'd kill to have either Newman or Williams, yet all they get is grief from people on here

then when you figure they are handicapped by one of the most mediocre defensive coordinators in the league calling the shots, they look even better...out either of those guys in a defense coached by someone who has an idea about pressure defense and how to create turnovers and either would easily be mentioned in every discussion as being at the top of the league

David

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Yeah, just like we dogged Flozell, and now we all miss the heck out of him because we realize that he may not be perfect, but he's darn good. How many teams would die to have Williams and Newman on their squad? And just like we praise other teams players, they find a way to find fault in their games.

wick

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:

I remember Jammer just fine. He was a guy with good straight-line speed, but he lacked the hip fluidity to have top football speed. That's why he gets beat a lot in the NFL and has to grab and commit penalties to compensate. Huff is at another level athletically.

Koojo

Reaction score
I never did like Jammer.I know I will make people mad but I never liked Roy either.I knew Roy would be the last player to ever learn the position.If I had my way we would have had Ed Reed and John Henderson.We wouldn't have had Floz but we would have had LeCharles Bentley.Anyway,Huff is going to be a great player and we couldn't be any luckier them him to fall into round 2 and us be on the clock.I would even concider following out of round one,but we wouldn't be that lucky.Gab Watson is another player that is the real deal.He won't be as good in the 43 because his outside speed but as a true NT I like him.As for Roy,i'd like to trade him and get a cover SS/FS in here with enough speed to play man coverage.Didn't that Bengles coach want him?

Koojo

Reaction score
Thats how long i've been waiting for a quality DT!As for Roy its not because he's not smart enough,its because of something he said in an interview before he was draft.

PacoReloaded

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
I'd say maybe you should watch them more closely...

probably 25-30 teams in this league that'd kill to have either Newman or Williams, yet all they get is grief from people on here

then when you figure they are handicapped by one of the most mediocre defensive coordinators in the league calling the shots, they look even better...out either of those guys in a defense coached by someone who has an idea about pressure defense and how to create turnovers and either would easily be mentioned in every discussion as being at the top of the league

David
Never said that neither of them were good players. But where they were drafted they should produce much, much more.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
PacoReloaded said:
Never said that neither of them were good players. But where they were drafted they should produce much, much more.

one of them is in the probowl ever yr, the other one nearly made is as a rookie and should have made it this yr

and again, you have to take into account the defensive coach they play...every yr he finds way to rank at the bottom of the league in sacks, pressures, negative plays and turnovers...this despite always getting new and more talented players to use...

David

Reaction score
And to think the Cowboys would have drafted Jammer instead of Roy Williams back in 2002 had it not been for those San Diego "Super Chargers"!!!:rolleyes: Thank the Lord!

burntricersx

Reaction score
Koojo said:
I never did like Jammer.I know I will make people mad but I never liked Roy either.I knew Roy would be the last player to ever learn the position.If I had my way we would have had Ed Reed and John Henderson.We wouldn't have had Floz but we would have had LeCharles Bentley.

Hindsight is always 20/20...But I still would've taken Roy.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Dough Boy said:
He forty was actually a 4.43 as reported by CNN SI. Neither his forty time nor his game speed is comparable to Newman's.
:hammer:

Jammer has been a bust. Both the safety we got instead of him and the corner we got the year after are miles better than he's been. We're fortunate that we got the player(s) we did, despite what some misguided fans may think.

And BTW, is koojo related to kartr? Both are all-seeing, all-knowing, flawless drafting gurus.

groverat

Reaction score
Jammer and Huff are almost nothing alike except they are both fast and they both went to the same school, which I'm guessing is the inspiration for this thread.

Coming out of high school one of the knocks on Huff was that he was just an athlete (super fast and great wiggle) who didn't like contact. Jammer has only one of those features; he's fast but he's not very fluid and he has always loved contact.

Over the last year and a half Huff has really come on and become a dominant force in the defensive backfield. And Texas did use him as a "safety", but as was said above he was assigned the opponent's biggest receiving threat every game.

I don't think there's a better defensive back in the draft.