News: Mickey: Backup QB Dilemma Brewing

Toro9

Reaction score
Well, Dak's NFL Draft Profile lists Brett Hundley as his QB comparison. So, obviously that's the answer.

Joking aside, I'd probably just go with one of the old guys. Alex Smith is almost useless but maybe he won't make a ton of mistakes. Hahaha, look at what I'm saying. Just keep Gilbert and The Nooch.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Offhand, wouldn't you say that's trying to use an exception to make a rule?
You are the one making rules. All I'm saying is after watching him stand out as the best player in the AFF, making plenty of NFL level throws, and watching the poise he displayed in is opportunity last year, that he has a legitimate chance to be a good back up.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
In this case, Mickey is full of crap. The Cowboys have plenty of faith in GG to be the 2QB. It's not a dilemma.

kskboys

Reaction score
You are the one making rules. All I'm saying is after watching him stand out as the best player in the AFF, making plenty of NFL level throws, and watching the poise he displayed in is opportunity last year, that he has a legitimate chance to be a good back up.
Yup, I am, no denying it. I look at history to get a feel for what's to come, I admit it.

Hope Grape makes it!!!!!

eromeopolk

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-backup-qb-dilemma-still-brewing

Mickey talks about back up QB's. Who is or may become available.

Not really many out there, and if any come free later on. Other teams will be looking at them as well.
Why is noodle are Dinucci (I don't care how to spell his name) still on this roster? He showed no potential, promise, ability, or capability of being a back up or starter at QB in the NFL. If this is McCarthy's pet cat...Get a Dog now.

kskboys

Reaction score
Why is noodle are Dinucci (I don't care how to spell his name) still on this roster? He showed no potential, promise, ability, or capability of being a back up or starter at QB in the NFL. If this is McCarthy's pet cat...Get a Dog now.
Dinucci has a good arm. Hard to take you seriously when you get something as simple as that so wrong.

Agree that he sucked.

plasticman

Reaction score
Does it really matter? If Dak goes down for an extensive period of time, it's over.

The best any backup can do is make the Cowboys respectable, maybe 9-8, one and done in the playoffs. If the Cowboys wanted a backup quarterback capable of winning games then they should have drafted one in 2019 0r 2020. The current free agents are still unsigned precisely because they can't win.

Hadenough

Reaction score
If Dak goes down again, I would hope the Cowboys consider drafting a QB.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Garrett Gilbert's got this -- he'll do just fine! He's better than anyone out there. Let's all be happy about that.:thumbup:

Last edited:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Garrett Gilbert's got this -- he'll do just fine! He's better than anyone out there. Let's all be happy about that.:thumbup:
The only drawback is in an optimal backup situation, you can still run the same plays. I don't think Gilbert is the right fit there. But then again, it is not like there is much out there in terms of options.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The only drawback is in an optimal backup situation, you can still run the same plays. I don't think Gilbert is the right fit there. But then again, it is not like there is much out there in terms of options.

I'm curious as to why you feel GG isn't the right fit. I'd agree he's likely better than those currently available. Going by what little we saw of him vs. the Steelers last year, I wouldn't object to his presence for a game or two. I'd be puzzled as to what to expect beyond that, though.

KB1122

Reaction score
My philosophy on choosing a backup quarterback is to take the worst one available.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Dalton returning would be a real shame since they would miss out on the comp pick (did someone mention a 4th?). I don't think many people would want to effectively trade a late 4th for another year of backup Dalton.
Actually I would take Dalton as QB2 easily over a comp pick any day, all day.