Mickey: Eye test about Zeke

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:laugh:Spagnola doesn't write articles. He writes pro-Jones propaganda. He's a clown.

This is a bunch of crap. But go ahead and hate. Can't respond with football opinions, but just dump on stuff. That is Troll territory.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he knew that if he didn't go for the gold when they optioned him, he would never see that kind of contract. He was the first to hold out with 2 years left and it worked.

I think he also was well aware of Murray's last year as a Cowboy and how they ran him onto the ground and just what he was looking at in that 5th year option.

There was a play in his 3rd year that I think affected his decisions to hold out. He did one of those Gurley hurdles and he came down at a weird angle and I could see it affected him. He got up a little wobbly and had this shocked look on his face. I think it was the realization of what could happen and that brought about the holdout and payday.

I don't blame him. These guys play in a billionaire's game and they have to make all they can make while they can still make it. Had he not held out, no way he has that contract now. It was a smart move against the most likely team to capitulate.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
not saying you are wrong, but it is a bit of a difficult point to make and substantiate isn't it? Given when Pollard comes into the game and the situations that hes used in, his individual performance is a bit boosted but the circumstances. If you start having Pollard cut into Zeke's touches, then you start to erode some of the additional benefit Pollard gets from being fresh and a true change of pace that the defense isn't expecting.

Again, please don't take this as me calling your opinion incorrect, I just think we need to consider why Pollard has had limited success situationally and if it would be diminished if his use changes

Joseph Randle averaged 6.7 ypc behind Murray's record-breaking season. When asked to carry more of the load the next year? 4.1 ypc. Pollard himself has gone from 5.3 ypc to 4.3 ypc last year when asked to do more.

I think Pollard would be one of the best backs in football if he got volume and was used like Alvin Kamara is used.

He’s just as explosive as it gets. His acceleration is unreal and you make a mistake and he can chew up 30 or 40 yards real quick.

Pollard is nowhere near the talent of Kamara. Pollard has acceleration but is not in the same universe for change of direction or being fleet of foot.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
"...100-yards rushing in 20 of his 56 career games" I guess RBs this day and age don't have to cross the 100 yard mark to be considered as having a good game. And he had one of the best OLs of all time to run behind for a couple years and a pretty good OL for his entire career. Jim Brown had 58 games rushing for over 100 in his 8 or so year career. And those were 12 game seasons. Teams did run more back then.

Mick made some good points but I didn't see any mention about fumbles. Sort of like Conan Doyle's dog that didn't bark.

Henry doubled his output and Henry had about the same OL. That same OL the Cowboys trotted out led the Cowboys to their 7th best total yards in history. They were not chopped liver.

Like Mick says, we shall see.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Pollard is i the perfect role. He needs to be used more when on the field. But using him as a combo guy is the best use. You start subjecting him to the pounding an everydown guy is people here would be calling for his head after two good years on a contract extension and 2-3 years where he will miss time and production due to injury. I love the kid 1000% more than I ever liked Tavon Austin, Pollard is a nice Slash player that can fit into multiple roles.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I think he knew that if he didn't go for the gold when they optioned him, he would never see that kind of contract. He was the first to hold out with 2 years left and it worked.

I think he also was well aware of Murray's last year as a Cowboy and how they ran him onto the ground and just what he was looking at in that 5th year option.

There was a play in his 3rd year that I think affected his decisions to hold out. He did one of those Gurley hurdles and he came down at a weird angle and I could see it affected him. He got up a little wobbly and had this shocked look on his face. I think it was the realization of what could happen and that brought about the holdout and payday.

I don't blame him. These guys play in a billionaire's game and they have to make all they can make while they can still make it. Had he not held out, no way he has that contract now. It was a smart move against the most likely team to capitulate.

That brilliant decision by Zeke's agent was not some spur-of-the-moment thing the year before. I tend to believe they'd been preparing that since he was drafted. Become the focal point of the offense and then threaten to pull the rug from underneath the team to get paid. Dak's decent at the tail end of the rookie season and sophomore slump played into things nicely. When the team became "As Zeke goes ..." that was a prime target for striking. Plus, Chris Johnson set the precedent for a 2-years-to-go extension in 2011 being re-upped one year removed from a 2,000 yard season. Zeke had just led the league 2 of the previous 3 years with a case for 3 in a row if not for his suspension so his stock couldn't have been higher nor his chances greater. They were right.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"...100-yards rushing in 20 of his 56 career games" I guess RBs this day and age don't have to cross the 100 yard mark to be considered as having a good game. And he had one of the best OLs of all time to run behind for a couple years and a pretty good OL for his entire career. Jim Brown had 58 games rushing for over 100 in his 8 or so year career. And those were 12 game seasons. Teams did run more back then.

Mick made some good points but I didn't see any mention about fumbles. Sort of like Conan Doyle's dog that didn't bark.

Henry doubled his output and Henry had about the same OL. That same OL the Cowboys trotted out led the Cowboys to their 7th best total yards in history. They were not chopped liver.

Like Mick says, we shall see.

Jim Brown was bigger than most LB's and DL was not much bigger. That has a lot to do with his success.

BigD_95

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-these-eyes-telling-it-all-about-zeke

:popcorn:
Oh boy, this should be a good one. But Mickey makes some good points. But I am sure those will be disregarded.

We have Mickey and an article about Zeke. Double whammy for haters of both. :muttley:

He does start out in his condescending way the 1st few lines. Then shows his reasons why Zeke still will have a good season. Oh, also he threw in the "eye test" from the off -season stuff. He goes through the injuries of the OL, back up QB's allowing a DC to tee off on Zeke.

So have at it, as I am sure we will see the usual comments from those that do not read the article.

:popcorn:

Zeke is going have a massive year - I think his touches will actually be down some but average yards per carry will be up

garyo1954

Reaction score
The article doesn't pass the eye test.
Maybe Mickey needs new eyes?

aikemirv

Reaction score
Joseph Randle averaged 6.7 ypc behind Murray's record-breaking season. When asked to carry more of the load the next year? 4.1 ypc. Pollard himself has gone from 5.3 ypc to 4.3 ypc last year when asked to do more.

Pollard is nowhere near the talent of Kamara. Pollard has acceleration but is not in the same universe for change of direction or being fleet of foot.

Wow, the second time I am agreeing with you in a couple months. What is going on here!

aikemirv

Reaction score
Zeke is going have a massive year - I think his touches will actually be down some but average yards per carry will be up

He will have a lot of 15-18 carry games this year I bet.

Dak is going to average 40 passes a game if our defense is in the bottom half of the league. McCarthy supplements his passing game with the run.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He will have a lot of 15-18 carry games this year I bet.

Dak is going to average 40 passes a game if our defense is in the bottom half of the league. McCarthy supplements his passing game with the run.
At $2,352,941.18 per game to throw the ball who do you think McC and Moore think is going to be the featured player. Booger doesn't even have to tell them.

The people are wanting to see the 2nd highest player in NFL history chunk the rock.

Booger's Big Top only has one center ring act and it isn't Elliott.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

Kamara
2017 6.1
2018 4.6
2019 4.7
2020 5.0

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Zeke may have a good season, but his burst disappeared two years ago. I’ve never seen burst come back.
Very true, its like a 50 dollar bill falling out of your pocket when grabbing your car keys,,, its gone and never coming back.

D4KADON

Reaction score
Unless he's hitting homeruns again I think Pollard needs to cut into Zeke's touches.

Pollard is just more of a big play threat.

I disagree. I honestly don't see this as well. People are always infatuated with the number 2 rb. Pollard is easily the most overrated player on the team by our fanbase. Zeke needs to pick up the pace, that I will agree with, but relying on Pollard with more touches ....eh

RonnieT24

Reaction score
At this point it's impossible to hold a logical discussion about Zeke.. I mean there are still people out there stating that "Since he got paid big money he needs to lead the NFL in rushing regardless of the state of the offensive line.." The only response I can muster to that is "What planet do these people live on?" Do people honestly think that you can just put five fat guys out there in front of a back and there is one alive who can go for 1500 yards regardless? Well obviously nobody actually thinks that but there appears to be no shortage of people willing to say it just because they hate Zeke.. I can't engage in conversation with such people... I just can't.

Some dude actually just posted that "Henry had about the same line.." Seriously? The Titans line was a first rounder (Lewan) , a second rounder (Saffold), a third rounder (Davis), a fourth rounder (Jones) and a fifth rounder (Kelly).. and then a 6th round 7 year vet took over when Lewan got hurt. Meanwhile Elliott played most of the season behind two UDFA tackles, a guard coming off ACL surgery, a rookie/journeyman combo at center and a 4th rounder fill in at guard when Martin went down/got moved to tackle. Yet in some alternate universe this is "basically the same line" Henry had when 4 of the 5 starters played all 16 games? Seriously?

Creeper

Reaction score
I knew Mickey was going to write this article before he did.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lord Mick here's the short version.
Zeke saw the #2 was quicker and faster. He decided to step up and not give up.
Hope he sticks with it.