Mickey: Mazi needs to step forward

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-guy-called-the-maz-please-step-forward

Nice article from Mickey about Mazi needing to be the player that Dallas expected when they drafted him.
How the new DL coach and Zimmer and his scheme will benefit Mazi. However Mazi needs to step up as well.

Mickey did not tow the company line on this one.

Weight loss, played out of position than he played in college. Shoulder injury hampered him as well the last part of the season.
Only played 4 snaps in the GB playoff game nd only 25% of the regular season snaps. How much is that on DQ and the injury.

Zimmer and the new DL coaches, Zgonina and Ellis believe they can get this corrected.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
How much is that on DQ and the injury.
Here is a better question........did they select Mazi in the 1st round with Quinn's blessing? If they did, what happened????? He's your 1st round pick and potential day-one starter. Not to mention it is the franchise's first time using a 1st rounder on DT 20+ years. So again, what happened coz we ALL agree his impact hasn't been anywhere near what they had hoped.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-guy-called-the-maz-please-step-forward

Nice article from Mickey about Mazi needing to be the player that Dallas expected when they drafted him.
How the new DL coach and Zimmer and his scheme will benefit Mazi. However Mazi needs to step up as well.

Mickey did not tow the company line on this one.

Weight loss, played out of position than he played in college. Shoulder injury hampered him as well the last part of the season.
Only played 4 snaps in the GB playoff game nd only 25% of the regular season snaps. How much is that on DQ and the injury.

Zimmer and the new DL coaches, Zgonina and Ellis believe they can get this corrected.
I sure hope so. The Cowboys need Mazi to come up big, and to show them the player they thought they were drafting.

You never want to miss big on a 1st round pick.

And they also still need help in addressing their issues in run defense which have plagued them for several years now.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I'm probably one of the more optimistic Mazi guys around here, but the shoulder injury has me concerned. I think the guys biggest problem is simply that he needs as many reps as he can get. When I watch film of him from last year I see a guy who has the tools to play in this league, but I also see a guy who has serious play recognition issues. I don't know where he is at with recovery from surgery but I hope that he is 100% for the start of camp. His issues are tough to improve from the sidelines.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Mazi's 1st year is mind boggling. I can only guess what the heck happened. I just hope things get corrected and he begins to really take some steps forward as the big athletic DT they drafted.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I sure hope so. The Cowboys need Mazi to come up big, and to show them the player they thought they were drafting.

You never want to miss big on a 1st round pick.

And they also still need help in addressing their issues in run defense which have plagued them for several years now.
+1...... coz right now, we are trending to Taco 2.0 but with a better attitude if that helps (lol)

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Mazi put the same things on film in Dallas that he put on film at Michigan. He had 2 TFLs and 0.5 sacks in 14 games as a junior, and got manhandled by NFL starting guard Steve Avila in the CFB playoffs.

This is just who he is. We drafted him based on who he could be, but that obviously comes with a lot of risk. I had him with a 3rd round grade.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
guy who has serious play recognition issues.
Well, what are they asking him to do? Keep LBers clean, and focus on the run or pass rush....all while losing weight. So as you can see, it's not a reach to think the kid's head was spinning a bit

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Well, what are they asking him to do? Keep LBers clean, and focus on the run or pass rush....all while losing weight. So as you can see, it's not a reach to think the kid's head was spinning a bit
So? Bottom line is he needs to fit the bill aka game plan. Let's hope our new DC bring the two together, but in the end Mazi has to improve on his part. Not saying he is done or anything, but there will be no excuses this year.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mazi put the same things on film in Dallas that he put on film at Michigan. He had 2 TFLs and 0.5 sacks in 14 games as a junior, and got manhandled by NFL starting guard Steve Avila in the CFB playoffs.

This is just who he is. We drafted him based on who he could be, but that obviously comes with a lot of risk. I had him with a 3rd round grade.
He was not asked to be a pass rusher in college. It still is something he needs to learn. And he said he will do whatever they want and to learn.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I agree. Not only that but the vast majority of his snaps came at a 3 or 4 technique last year. He really only played inside when Hankins was out.

Flamma

Reaction score
People keep talking about Mazi like he is a bust. DTs often don't show up year 1. Not everyone is Aaron Donald. Very few are. Vita Vea didn't do anything in year 1. Williams of the Jets didn't do crap until midway through season 2. Jalen Carter and Jordan Davis of the Eagles have been non existent. It takes DTs several years. A lot of these guys are high first round picks, what do you expect from a late round first pick?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
He was not asked to be a pass rusher in college. It still is something he needs to learn. And he said he will do whatever they want and to learn.
Well he wasn't much of a run defender either, otherwise he would have made a stop in the backfield more than once every two months. It's hard to find a less-productive 1st round DT this century.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
People keep talking about Mazi like he is a bust. DTs often don't show up year 1. Not everyone is Aaron Donald. Very few are. Vita Vea didn't do anything in year 1. Williams of the Jets didn't do crap until midway through season 2. Jalen Carter and Jordan Davis of the Eagles have been non existent. It takes DTs several years. A lot of these guys are high first round picks, what do you expect from a late round first pick?
It’s a fair point, he can still develop, but there remains 2 concerns that are unresolved at this point:

1. The team’s bizarre use of him as a 1T. Why have him shed weight when you drafted him to supposedly plug up holes and absorb blockers and contribute in the running game?

2. The reports of his emotional fragility. People inside the Star sound concerned that he just doesn’t have the mental and emotional fortitude and grit to grind at this level. He has the physical tools, but lacks the heart to leverage them into a successful career.

He has time, but he is trending towards bust status. He needs an impressive TC but his injury recovery is likely going to hamper his ability to get up to speed.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Sadly another draft pick that is more athlete than player. The boys drafted him because of his physical traits. Which is a bad way to go.
This team has a bad habit of drafting top athletes who are not top players.