Mickey Mouse is now pubic domain

Hardline

Reaction score
`According to copyright laws at the time, Steamboat Willie was scheduled to enter the public domain in 1984, fifty-six years after it was released. That timeline was lengthened several times, most recently in 1998 by a congressional act that established the current ninety-five-year limit. The Walt Disney Company lobbied hard for the extension, known famously as the Mickey Mouse Protection Act.

“`Works enter public domain when their copyrights expire, and they are free for use without permission. Trademark law, however, is different. Trademarks cover words, symbols, designs or expressions that identify brands. And they do not expire after a set period of time. That is the so-called turkey in the straw.

https://forgottenhollywood.com/hollywood-history/forgotten-hollywood-public-domain-hit-parade.php

tumblr_mjm8hht6hV1s4zjvuo1_500.gif

nobody

Reaction score
To be fair, it's only the first look of Mickey that has gone public domain. And if anyone tried to copy the more modern look, lawsuit city.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
To be fair, it's only the first look of Mickey that has gone public domain. And if anyone tried to copy the more modern look, lawsuit city.
Hasn't stopped them in the past. Etsy is filled with Mickey-related products. Many, if not all, of which I doubt are licensed. I only saw one thing that seemed to be based on what is now in the public domain.

1942willys

Reaction score
Hasn't stopped them in the past. Etsy is filled with Mickey-related products. Many, if not all, of which I doubt are licensed. I only saw one thing that seemed to be based on what is now in the public domain.
Probably the Mouse's legal department realized trying to stop all that is like trying to shovel flies

nobody

Reaction score
Probably the Mouse's legal department realized trying to stop all that is like trying to shovel flies

That's a little different than a movie that might see theaters or a lot of sales. The House of Mouse must receive it's cut.