Mickey Spagnola's Analysis of Dallas 2006 1st Pick

Reaction score
Guys Mickey basically said that Dallas wouldn't pick a FS in the first round because of the contracts of Roy Williams and Terence Newman coming up and the signing of Anthony Henry already. His arguement is that you can't have all of your secondary making top money. Although it's hard to accept but he made a valid point there. With that being said somebody like a Jason Allen from Tennessee in the 2nd or 3rd round would be a great pickup for the Cowboys, because he can play either FS or CB. Any thoughts on that???

baj1dallas

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80 said:
Guys Mickey basically said that Dallas wouldn't pick a FS in the first round because of the contracts of Roy Williams and Terence Newman coming up and the signing of Anthony Henry already. His arguement is that you can't have all of your secondary making top money. Although it's hard to accept but he made a valid point there. With that being said somebody like a Jason Allen from Tennessee in the 2nd or 3rd round would be a great pickup for the Cowboys, because he can play either FS or CB. Any thoughts on that???

If you draft a guy at the end of the first round, you don't have to pay him top money...he'd be cheaper than most (quality) free agents probably would be. Only problem is you can't know that he can come in and take over for Keith Davis his rookie year.

K-Mart

Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
If you draft a guy at the end of the first round, you don't have to pay him top money...he'd be cheaper than most (quality) free agents probably would be. Only problem is you can't know that he can come in and take over for Keith Davis his rookie year.

Pyle started to take over for Davis towards the end of the year and may have started a game. I don't think we'll have a problem with a 1st round S beating him out of his job. Even a 2nd or 3rd rounder I'm sure would suffice.

Reaction score
Jason Allen would be a pretty good fit because he's played FS in college so I could see Dallas potentially looking at him. I'll take him over a guy like Josh Bullocks.

MissionCoach

Reaction score
From everything I've been reading about this years draft, it's a very deep Safety Class...Which is GREAT for us!!! :starspin

Reaction score
MissionCoach said:
From everything I've been reading about this years draft, it's a very deep Safety Class...Which is GREAT for us!!! :starspin

Amen, is it just me guys but are you eagerly awaiting the DRAFT like me???
:omg:

baj1dallas

Reaction score
K-Mart said:
Pyle started to take over for Davis towards the end of the year and may have started a game. I don't think we'll have a problem with a 1st round S beating him out of his job. Even a 2nd or 3rd rounder I'm sure would suffice.

If it happens that's great, but I'm just not convinced. At least Davis could make tackles, a lot of these prospects aren't that physical and have off the field concerns, and then they have to make adjustments to their angles because the speed is greater. IMO safety is not a great position to rely on rookies.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I guess I am alone on this, but I think Keith Davis did a servicable job last year. There are no teams in the NFL without any holes. I am much more apprehensive about the offensive line.

cleverusername

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80 said:
Amen, is it just me guys but are you eagerly awaiting the DRAFT like me???
:omg:

Had a dream about it last night, but I couldnt remember who we picked this morning. I guess I'm kind of obsessed, really.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
I would have no problem with Dallas spending 2 picks in this draft and not even if it was 2 of ours first 4 picks on a FS.

K-Mart

Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
If it happens that's great, but I'm just not convinced. At least Davis could make tackles, a lot of these prospects aren't that physical and have off the field concerns, and then they have to make adjustments to their angles because the speed is greater. IMO safety is not a great position to rely on rookies.

Easier to learn than a 4-3 end making the change to the 3-4 SOLB standing up.

Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
I guess I am alone on this, but I think Keith Davis did a servicable job last year. There are no teams in the NFL without any holes. I am much more apprehensive about the offensive line.

Man he was barely marginal, he's really not a FS more like a hybird SS.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
TheSkaven said:

Even with Fabini signed? He gives you a much better backup at LT and an improvement at RT even if Petitti wins the job, because now you can yank him if he struggles. Kosier is not the dominator that LA could be on a good day, but he's serviceable, and Rivera should be ok. The only real weakness is at center, and at least you have two guys that are decent there.

If you could trade down, take a guy like Ko Simpson or somebody who can at least compete with Davis for the job, and get an extra pick to take a backup lineman (off or def you need competition at both). You can still get another OLB and a WR to develop.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Jason Allen would be a GREAT pick for us but I don't see him sliding down that far into the second round, since he seems to be testing out and showing that he's recovered from his hip injury. I've read reports saying his stock is rising since the Combine.

Prior to his injury he was a top 15 talent.

sago1

Reaction score
Yes all teams have holes in today's NFL but we had a crater at FS; sorry but in my view Davis was not even servicable. I think Pile played better then Davis near the end. Frankly while Davis is a great ST player, he's nowhere near a starting FS. Don't know Berault figures in this but we can't count on a SS coming off surgery to become our starting FS in first year of play (also don't think he has the speed).

FS position looks pretty good on first day; Jason Allen rated the best with some mock drafts show him going in first round & Ko Simpson slipping to 2nd round. Both of them are legit FS who are physical & really good in pass coverage. If we get Lawson/Carpenter/Wimbley in first round & either of them in 2nd round, we've already had a great draft. Only problem with that scenario means we don't address OL til 3rd round and Jerry Jones wants to go offense this year. I think he definitely wants an OL & maybe a WR, so we might get only 1 shot on first day to draft a defensive player; believe the Cowboys will do all they can to move down & pick up another 3rd rounder, but sometimes no trading partner is available. If we somehow get 4 picks on first day, bet you we go OLB in first round, OL/FB/WR in 2nd, and remaining 2 in 3rd if they meet BPA criteria. Wonder if Cowboys might be willing trade a first day pick in 07 to grab another pick on first day in 06--if it is necessary & they see a really good player still available who shouldn't be there.

cleverusername

Reaction score
TheSkaven said:

I can understand, and partially agree. I think the thing that gets me most though is getting burnt deep last year. I don't think it was always Davis' fault. But having a ball-hawk free safety thats not afraid to hit would be an upgrade.

The other thing to think about though is an improved pass rush will help those guys in the secondary out. So if the defensive line play improves, which I'm almost positive it will, and the Linebacker play increases, which I'm optimistic it will, (hopefully a top draft pick here) then it makes it a little easier for our free safety.

If it's Keith Davis I think he'd be o.k. But I think I'd rather have a 2nd-4th round guy to compete for the job. Worst case scenario Keith steps it up (totally possible) or we find a young guy that can play early.

If we take the best players avalible and they happen two be a couple of lineman early, I think we would be o.k. with Davis and a later guy at safety.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ThreeSportStar80 said:
Been saying the same thing for a while now. Exactly what I think happens.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I fear that we're going to do the same thing to Roy Williams that we did to LaRoi Glover.

We're never going to maximize his talents because we're never going to give him some help.

We never maximized Glover's pass rush skills because he never had a big DT tackle next to him to eat up blocks. I'll never understand why we never tried to bring in a 330 pound monster to pair with Glover.

I fear will never maximize Roy's talents. I think we'll always have a servicable safety next to him, and Roy will never get to roam around the LOS. We saw how destructive he could be when he had Woody next to him.

I can really see us standing pat in the draft at safety....unfortunately.

cleverusername

Reaction score
Bizwah said:
I fear that we're going to do the same thing to Roy Williams that we did to LaRoi Glover.

We're never going to maximize his talents because we're never going to give him some help.

We never maximized Glover's pass rush skills because he never had a big DT tackle next to him to eat up blocks. I'll never understand why we never tried to bring in a 330 pound monster to pair with Glover.

I fear will never maximize Roy's talents. I think we'll always have a servicable safety next to him, and Roy will never get to roam around the LOS. We saw how destructive he could be when he had Woody next to him.

I can really see us standing pat in the draft at safety....unfortunately.

Definitely a huge argument to bring in a strong coverage guy at free. When Roy can come in close and have the freedom to blitz he is scary to opposing backfields