Mickey Spagnola's Analysis of Dallas 2006 1st Pick

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
jterrell said:
Too bad you don't write his articles for him.
And yes I am serious.

Some things are just common sense when being around football for a while even as a fan.

Dallas can use both an OLB and a FS. Whichever guy makes 1st round money matters little. We just drafted Ware and are perfectly happy drafting another LB yet we are scared to pay late 1st money to a FS? Thats a rather silly argument.

We paid for Aaron Glenn after we had Henry and TNew. We know we are going to spend money on DBs because the league has went to pass happy.
Teams stay in the nickel significant portions of the game now.
I've been having a hard time understanding this argument as well. What difference does it make what you are paying the rest of the guys back there? If FS is your need then that is what you need to draft (assuming a player of good value drops to you of course). You fill your holes with the best players you can get.

vpr532

Reaction score
I agree with Mickey, we can't go and spend top dollar on every player in our secondary. I'd much rather go OL or OLB with our first pick.

Plus I'm a fan of taking FSU FS Pat Watkins in the second round myself anyway.

Sandman52

Reaction score
We paid for Aaron Glenn after we had Henry and TNew.

And how great of a signing was that when Henry went down? Still can't beleive how well Glenn civered Plax.

Woods

Reaction score
What about a guy like D. Bullocks in the 2nd?

He ran his 40 in sub 4.4 seconds, he's got decent size, and they say he's actually better than his brother when he came out last year. He also interviewed very well at the Combine.

Also, though he played SS, they say given his speed, quickness, and instincts, he should be able to play either Safety position.

Or, I guess we could hope for Watkins in the 3rd.

Crazy88

Reaction score
well all i can say is role on draft day. I hope to god we draft the players we need first off. all this hype of play off talk in the media makes me wonder. last year i remember john czarnecki on fox saying the cowboys could be playoff and even superbowl contenders. it seems most of the positions have been sorted now regards NEEDS with safety being the only one now.

Besides guys. what happens if all of a sudden Keith Davis just suddenly gets it all together in camp. How cool could would that be.

Come on draft day.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
Woods said:
What about a guy like D. Bullocks in the 2nd?

He ran his 40 in sub 4.4 seconds, he's got decent size, and they say he's actually better than his brother when he came out last year. He also interviewed very well at the Combine.

Also, though he played SS, they say given his speed, quickness, and instincts, he should be able to play either Safety position.

Or, I guess we could hope for Watkins in the 3rd.

again, this is what we've been doing for a while now: picking up a SS and trying to convert him, it's been established that it doesnt work. I personally like keith davis, hes a great athlete, i like how he plays, and i like his versatility in ST and in doing whatever BP asks of him. but he plays more like a SS than a FS, with below average coverage skills and making big hits, he looks like a mediocre version of roy williams out there, and Bullocks reminds me a little bit of keith davis, atleast in the way he plays. a true FS is what we need and it will be addressed on day 1 along with OLB and O-line. then on day 2 we will probably go with a WR and some depth, everywhere.

BigWillie

Reaction score
bobbie brewskie said:
again, this is what we've been doing for a while now: picking up a SS and trying to convert him, it's been established that it doesnt work. I personally like keith davis, hes a great athlete, i like how he plays, and i like his versatility in ST and in doing whatever BP asks of him. but he plays more like a SS than a FS, with below average coverage skills and making big hits, he looks like a mediocre version of roy williams out there, and Bullocks reminds me a little bit of keith davis, atleast in the way he plays. a true FS is what we need and it will be addressed on day 1 along with OLB and O-line. then on day 2 we will probably go with a WR and some depth, everywhere.

Finally, someone saying what I have all along when it comes to Daniel.

However, the comparison of Daniel and Keith is way off. Daniel isn't a head hunter with a tenacious attitude. Daniel is more along the lines of a cerebral player who does nothing that will make you go "WOW" but he also does nothing that bad either.

Now IF you're willing to give Daniel a season or two of transition, maybe. But with everyones mindset of winning now, it won't be possible. Drafting him would be food to the sharks who just like to complain. But if you're willing to take your lumps and share of mistakes from him while he learns, then maybe.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Jason Allen
Pat Watkins
Donte Whitner
Bullocks

One or all 4 will be there in the 2nd round. It's hard to argue against any of them. Personally I like Whitner. He's shown consistent 4.3 speed at the combine and his pro day and made big plays all year. He just reminds me so much of Brian Dawkins when he came out.

Displaced Cowboy

Reaction score
You don't pay top dollar to a FS at the end of round 1.

Exhibit A:

Reed, Edward
S (#)
Year: 2002
Baltimore Ravens
Round: 1
Position: 24

Salary History
2002 275000.00
2003 443750.00
2004 512500.00
2005 581250.00
2006 1983000.00

Financal implications will have no bearing on whether or not the Cowboys select a FS with their 1st pick.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Dallas has been faithful with taking the BPA lately. Itll be the same this year with an edge to LBs and OL.

Reaction score
Pat Watkins out of FSU is another good possibility because he can run and has really long arms, just a great athlete.