Mickey: Tackling Inside with a new Committee

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now, the Cowboys likely will not designate this rotation "by committee," but here is what they must be thinking: We're going to play these defensive tackle positions in waves, placing more importance on down and distance, score in games, opponent tendencies and matchups than who actually is considered the starter.

Bigger is better. Experienced depth is a must. Keeping veterans fresh is imperative. So keep an eye on the waves of defensive tackles flowing inside, hoping to drown out their problems last year of stopping the run.
Does this remind anyone else of the Jimmy Johnson approach to DL's?

I'll be shocked if the defense doesn't stop the run better this year. It would have with just the big upgrades at LB.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Sounds good -- if only it might work. Let us pray . . . Our Father who art in heaven . . . :bow:
yeah, i'm just spit balling. typically there are 60 to 70 defensive snaps in which a NT is used maybe 60% of that, so that's my gut. it is surprising though after they sign phillips, they would go ahead and get joseph not the norm for the FO to sign 2 of the same position. Lawsons a bonus as well.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Does this remind anyone else of the Jimmy Johnson approach to DL's?

I'll be shocked if the defense doesn't stop the run better this year. It would have with just the big upgrades at LB.
Yep, same approach…and it doesn’t seem to ever not be the wrong one. Makes full sense.

There is a bit of a talent difference as well as depth though.

The entire second team defense on the 92 team probably could have been that of a playoff team.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Yep, same approach…and it doesn’t seem to ever not be the wrong one. Makes full sense.

There is a bit of a talent difference as well as depth though.

The entire second team defense on the 92 team probably could have been that of a playoff team.
to this day few realize how DEEP that team was.
Sadly from this year on that depth quickly disappeared. By 96 it was a shell.

of the many what ifs I say what if the cap had come five years later.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Salary caps entered the real world along with the agents and career injuries.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Yep, that’s why they were able to contend for years after. Nice to plug in Leon Lett or Darren Woodson or Dixon Edwards when a starter or five departs.

Now THATS “drafting well”

I’d have to look it up (it was so damn long ago lol) but I think a really nice starting 11 could happen on paper with non starters from that squad.

rags747

Reaction score
Stoping the run will be better, sacking the qb is going to be very bad imo.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
yeah, i'm just spit balling. typically there are 60 to 70 defensive snaps in which a NT is used maybe 60% of that, so that's my gut. it is surprising though after they sign phillips, they would go ahead and get joseph not the norm for the FO to sign 2 of the same position. Lawsons a bonus as well.
I was pleasantly surprised that Jerry opted to take the pro-active route for a change, even if it was a pretty low-cost affair. All in all, it was a better option than doing nothing -- that's for sure. I hope we pick up a good DE or RB in the final cuts if they're available. I know it's a longshot, though.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Whenever I hear "by committee" - it tells me that you dont have good enough starters.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised that Jerry opted to take the pro-active route for a change, even if it was a pretty low-cost affair. All in all, it was a better option than doing nothing -- that's for sure. I hope we pick up a good DE or RB in the final cuts if they're available. I know it's a longshot, though.
The start of a two year rebuild on defense.

Three Pro Bowlers to resign here and now.