Mickey: Tackling Inside with a new Committee

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Sharing responsibility is all...
They are sharing responsibilities cause that dont really have standout starters - would you "share responsibilities" with Parsons and D-Law?

No, those guys are the clear cut starters and will get most of the snaps.

CCBoy

Reaction score
They are sharing responsibilities cause that dont really have standout starters - would you "share responsibilities" with Parsons and D-Law?

No, those guys are the clear cut starters and will get most of the snaps.
This isn't just on a philosophical basis but how it is used to attack an opponent. Much more sophistication in applications and how used.

They know a touch about football.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
This isn't just on a philosophical basis but how it is used to attack an opponent. Much more sophistication in applications and how used.

They know a touch about football.
So why not do that with all of the positions?

shabazz

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-tackling-inside-with-a-new-committee

Mickey writes about how the DT position is now a DT by Committee.

Goes through how they came about to bring in the other DT's, and what it may mean.
It's a very fair assessment of the situation .

Whenever a Corp or unit doesn't have a single elite player it always gets the title of "by committee"

We currently have RB and Dt by committee and I would argue to add linebacker to that designation as well......until this inexperienced group shows us otherwise

blueblood70

Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised that Jerry opted to take the pro-active route for a change, even if it was a pretty low-cost affair. All in all, it was a better option than doing nothing -- that's for sure. I hope we pick up a good DE or RB in the final cuts if they're available. I know it's a longshot, though.
Now we're gonna need a cornerback... running backs a big maybe he'd have .... like i can't believe he was cut guyslie off the jets or Dolphins.. But we need a Vet Ins for Blands injury now.

Umm Lawson and Muhammad will be fine pass rushing in the rotation behind the starters with scheming game plans..

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Now we're gonna need a cornerback... running backs a big maybe he'd have .... like i can't believe he was cut guyslie off the jets or Dolphins.. But we need a Vet Ins for Blands injury now.

Umm Lawson and Muhammad will be fine pass rushing in the rotation behind the starters with scheming game plans..
I dread seeing a talented player like Bland being lost for 6 to 8 weeks. It's one thing about pro football that's hard to take. He'll be tough to replace.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I dread seeing a valuable player like Bland being lost for 6 to 8 weeks. It's one thing about pro football that's tough to take. He's hard to replace.
but we're not trying to replace him hes out 6 to eight weeks which is about 5-6 games. but we now need a VET big list like XHoward, JC, Peterson, and other FAS just sitting there. Im sure Zim has an idea. I like our young corners but no way i want to water down the nickel and dime package totally counting on too many of them on the field at the same time. just Insurance

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
well it's easier now when you have 3 choices for nose tackle 10-15 snaps each...keep them fresh and healthy.
I like that we did that for a change this year. Hopefully, they'll be in good enough shape to handle it, if age hasn't taken too much of a toll. The limited number of snaps should serve to help to make it tolerable for them. I'm expecting our defense to be noticeably better this year with the added depth.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I will be happy when we have LB's leading the team in tackles again vs Safety's.
Good idea -- for a change, it makes me happy see a chance for some improvement in the run coverage.

It's been a long time coming. The extra help with the veteran DTs we're getting shouldn't hurt, either! ;)

sbark

Reaction score
to this day few realize how DEEP that team was.
Sadly from this year on that depth quickly disappeared. By 96 it was a shell.

of the many what ifs I say what if the cap had come five years later.
Jerry was , as i understand it, the driving force behind the cap....karma

Chasing6

Reaction score
Whenever I hear "by committee" - it tells me that you dont have good enough starters.
Is a WR group a committee? Does a DLine rotate???

With the NFL at 17 games and heading to 18 in the very near future, you need a committee at almost every position.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because our wrecking ball is gone? The DT position has been by committee for a looong time. The team has a history of going with DT rotations. We haven't fielded a pro bowl DT since Jay Ratliffe in 2009. Prior to that it was Laroi Glover who was a great player on some bad teams in the early 2000's.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Is a WR group a committee? Does a DLine rotate???

With the NFL at 17 games and heading to 18 in the very near future, you need a committee at almost every position.
Obviously every position rotates, but are you going to "rotate" Lamb, Parsons Diggs ect - the clear starters are going to get the lions share of the snaps.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Obviously every position rotates, but are you going to "rotate" Lamb, Parsons Diggs ect - the clear starters are going to get the lions share of the snaps.
They still rotate and when the game is out of reach they should be out of the game. That's how you develop the next level of players, don't risk any unnecessary injuries, instead of padding stats and over paying players because of it.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I'm glad they went out and added a couple guys that could potentially contribute rather than just liking our guys. Thank you Zimmer for raising your opinion. We all know we've under invested at DT for a while and its probably been what 12ish years since Ratliff when we could say we had a pretty good DT room. Since then the best guys we've had were Crawford, Collins, Irving, then some bigger bodies in McClain, Hankins, etc. None were great players, but flashed at times and were at best solid.

I still have confidence in Osa taking a step forward and now he atleast has a better rotation of guys next to him. Osa's development may be one of the biggest keys to this season and hope he can put it all together.

bigE79

Reaction score
Does this remind anyone else of the Jimmy Johnson approach to DL's?

I'll be shocked if the defense doesn't stop the run better this year. It would have with just the big upgrades at LB.
If they only can find a way for our DEs and LBs to contain the outside run I would be pleasantly surprised.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Does this remind anyone else of the Jimmy Johnson approach to DL's?

I'll be shocked if the defense doesn't stop the run better this year. It would have with just the big upgrades at LB.
I didn't draft the Cowboys defense in Fantasy....that's for sure. Don't have much faith in 35 year old defensive tackles weighing 350lbs....having a whole lot of stamina. Even bigger concern is getting this defense off the field with no pass rush.