Microsoft Windows 10 Update snafu?

Creeper

Reaction score
The other day, I allowed Windows 10 to update one of my desktop computers. I use it mostly for video editing and stuff like that. But when it rebooted after the update, the graphics card was in VGA mode, low resolution. I had to uninstall then reinstall the video drivers for the graphics card to get the video card working properly again.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why a Windows update would blow away my video driver but this is the second time I have had this happen over the last few years. Has anyone else had this experience?

This is why I generally turn off Windows Update.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have had weird things happen after Windows updates in the past, but not that one in particular.

The problem with graphics drivers is that over time they can get messy, especially if you install them manually and later on Windows overrides them with a supposed new version.

I disable Windows Updates as well and wait until a point I have time to do relevant backups and potentially deal with any post-update problems and then manually do all updates. Most of the time is goes smooth other than some updates require multiple reboots.

While maybe a reach, maybe windows updated drivers in the past that required a reboot but the system was not rebooted or it failed to install the older updated drivers after rebooting, so when it installed new drivers they conflicted with each other because some parts of the older drivers were installed but not detected because the process never completed.

In any case, I am glad you got it working as graphics drivers can be a pain when things go wrong with them.