Mid-Season: Rookie Running Back stats

DFWJC

Reaction score
Here are the updated Rookie RB stats at the halfway mark.

RuAtt/RuYrd/RuTD........Rec/ReYrd/RecTd

M Forte........147/515/4.......29/223/2
C Johnson.....122/626/4.......18/92/1
S Slaton.......104/476/5.......22/125/1
D McFadden....67/341/1.......10/93/0
K Smith..........56/268/3.......22/146/0
J Stewert........96/362/5.......4/12/0
R Rice.............49/185/0.......15/166/0
F Jones...........30/266/3.......2/10/0.....out 2 more wks
T Hightower.....49/133/6.......16/139/0
J Charles.........29/160/0........17/98/0
R Mendenhall.....19/58/0.........2/17/0....out for season
T Choice...........7/39/0..........1/2/0

-------------------------
some notes:
* Chris Johnson now leads the AFC in rushing and has opened up a nice lead in the rookie rushing race while getting 5.1 ypc...not bad.
* JMO... if Offensive ROY was being voted on right now, Matt Ryan and CJ would be at the top w/ Forte, Slaton, D. Jackson , and Forte not far behind.
* I still expect Felix and McFadden to have good 2nd halves of the season.

Nexx

Reaction score
lmao @ pre draft Chris Johnson haters. a blind man could see from his college hightlights that he was more than just a speed back. he showed the ability to break tackles, make sharp cuts and possed great instincts to boot. i really wanted Chris in the second round but obviously that would have never happened.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Nexx;2384905 said:
lmao @ pre draft Chris Johnson haters. a blind man could see from his college hightlights that he was more than just a speed back. he showed the ability to break tackles, make sharp cuts and possed great instincts to boot. i really wanted Chris in the second round but obviously that would have never happened.

Agree totally. ESPN and many, many others owe the Titans management an apology this time around.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Nexx;2384905 said:
Tennessee has been a top 5 rushing team for the past several years with all sorts of scrubs going in and out of their system. They've essentially become the Denver Broncos in that regard.

Nexx

Reaction score
theogt;2384947 said:
Tennessee has been a top 5 rushing team for the past several years with all sorts of scrubs going in and out of their system. They've essentially become the Denver Broncos in that regard.

great point but chris johnson has had some amazing runs that most runnings could not make due to the pure speed this guy posses. he just makes it seem effortless out running defenders who have angles on him. dont get me wrong though, i would still take felix over chris at this point.

DFWJC

Reaction score
theogt;2384947 said:

Wassup theo. I know you weren't very high on CJ--which is fine; we all miss on some. :p: But please don't tell me you think he is just another scrub RB taking advantage of playing for a running team. Check your history, they haven't had a guy produce like this since Eddie George. The season is young and so is his career, so I don't want to give him too much credit...but he deserves at least some. The kid is averaging 5.1 ypc. Their leading rusher last year averaged under 3.8 ypc.

And I really don't see the Denver analogy with Denver's zone blocking schemes vs Tenn power rushing. It's also easier to run when your team has great a passing game: Denver does and has, Tenn does not and has not.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Nexx;2384957 said:
great point but chris johnson has had some amazing runs that most runnings could not make due to the pure speed this guy posses. he just makes it seem effortless out running defenders who have angles on him. dont get me wrong though, i would still take felix over chris at this point.
Eh...I haven't watched him much this season, but I did on Monday night and he still looked like all he had was speed to me. If he couldn't get to the outside, they tackled him easily.

DFWJC;2384965 said:
Wassup theo. I know you weren't very high on CJ--which is fine; we all miss on some. :p: But please don't tell me you think he is just another scrub RB taking advantage of playing for a running team. Check your history, they haven't had a guy produce like this since Eddie George. The season is young and so is his career, so I don't want to give him too much credit...but he deserves at least some. The kid is averaging 5.1 ypc. Their leading rusher last year averaged under 3.8 ypc.

And I really don't see the Denver analogy with Denver's zone blocking schemes vs Tenn power rushing. It's also easier to run when your team has great a passing game: Denver does and has, Tenn does not and has not.
The Denver analogy was just that they have a top level running game no matter who they put in there. I do think CJ is better than some of the other backs they've had, but I'm just putting his numbers in perspective. Stick him in Oakland and he wouldn't have close to these numbers.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
CJ>>>Ray Rice

theo's idea of an impressive back is someone who side-steps alot in the backfield, he still can't get over the fact that it's not a neccessary trait to succeed as a back

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
If you think you're going to get Theo to give credit where credit is due to a guy he has a vandetta against, good luck.

Me? I'm happy with Felix, although I was against drafting him early before the draft, if he hadn't had gotten injured and we actually gave him some more touches, I think he'd be right up there with the rest of them but I think his chances at winning OROTY or anything like that are dead in the water.

superpunk

Reaction score
He fits the Tennesse system very well. He's a one-cut runner, and that's what they needed. They have also faced one of the weakest schedules in the NFL, iirc. Very nice start to Chris Johnson's NFL career though, all things considered. I like Felix.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheCount;2384976 said:
If you think you're going to get Theo to give credit where credit is due to a guy he has a vandetta against, good luck.
Please, shut your friggin' trap. I did a complete 180 on Felix Jones. I don't have a vendetta against any player. I just point out what I see. And I've always said that CJ may have enough speed to make up for what other things he lacks, but that's still all he has.

Seriously, you're going on ignore because your posts are worthless.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theogt;2384984 said:
Please, shut your friggin' trap. I did a complete 180 on Felix Jones. I don't have a vendetta against any player. I just point out what I see. And I've always said that CJ may have enough speed to make up for what other things he lacks, but that's still all he has.

Seriously, you're going on ignore because your posts are worthless.

:violin:

You can't even take a little chop busting, stop your crying and get a sense of humor.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2384974 said:
CJ>>>Ray Rice

theo's idea of an impressive back is someone who side-steps alot in the backfield, he still can't get over the fact that it's not a neccessary trait to succeed as a back
Not really. I just think lateral agility and power are much more important than pure speed. Both Marion and Felix have more lateral agility and power than they have pure speed. Actually, both of them are pretty lacking in terms of top end speed.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2384999 said:
Not really. I just think lateral agility and power are much more important than pure speed. Both Marion and Felix have more lateral agility and power than they have pure speed. Actually, both of them are pretty lacking in terms of top end speed.

I wouldn't say that about Felix, he has that 4X100 relay, leg speed, he can't sustain it for 50 yards, but he can get 20-30 yards

being an NFL back is all about getting upfield the quickest, that's finding the hole fast, hitting it fast, and getting upfield fast, CJ does all those very well, which is mainly why he's averaging 5.1 yards a pop w/o whirling like the Tazmanian devil and breaking tons of tackles

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2385014 said:
I wouldn't say that about Felix, he has that 4X100 relay, leg speed, he can't sustain it for 50 yards, but he can get 20-30 yards
Right, Felix has amazing burst, but not top end speed.

being an NFL back is all about getting upfield the quickest, that's finding the hole fast, hitting it fast, and getting upfield fast, CJ does all those very well, which is mainly why he's averaging 5.1 yards a pop w/o whirling like the Tazmanian devil and breaking tons of tackles
I disagree. Or else you'd see more track stars as RBs.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2385017 said:
Right, Felix has amazing burst, but not top end speed.

his top-end speed is good enough for 20-30 yards is what I'm saying, after that he can be caught though

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2385021 said:
his top-end speed is good enough for 20-30 yards is what I'm saying, after that he can be caught though
Eh..it's pretty amazing how quickly it levels out for him. It's like he hits top speed in 10-15 yards and levels out from there.

Back to Johnson. The guy's speed is just ********. As I've always said, maybe that's enough to make him very successful. Or maybe not. In 8 games, it's worked for him in their offense. Like SP said, he's a great fit for that offense.

DFWJC

Reaction score
superpunk;2384980 said:
He fits the Tennesse system very well. He's a one-cut runner, and that's what they needed. They have also faced one of the weakest schedules in the NFL, iirc. Very nice start to Chris Johnson's NFL career though, all things considered. I like Felix.

Some of you guys haven't watched CJ enough this season....he is FAR more than just a one cut runner. I will agree that he wasn't extremely sharp on Monday night, but the NFL channel has showed the guy plenty all season, and all of the RBs (Faulk, etc) are very impressed with his OVERALL running ability. Their schedule has not been great record-wise, but they have already faced some of the better run defenses. Face it, nobody is worried about their passing game.

I'm not really discussing Felix here. I like him alot and wait for him to get healthy.

Not sure how this ended up a critique of CJ.