Midswat's dog

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
Mr. (not Jerry) Jones said:
can't get more off topic then this, but damn that's a cute puppy

Thanks . . . he's actually not very cute anymore.

That pic was taken shortly after I got him in 2003 . . .

He's 125lbs now . . .

I'll see if I can't post a more recent pic.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Full blood shephard? I desperately want one of those, but I would have to shell out some cash for training - I am not nearly experienced enough to handle a dog. I understand you have to be very good to teach shephards.

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Full blood shephard? I desperately want one of those, but I would have to shell out some cash for training - I am not nearly experienced enough to handle a dog. I understand you have to be very good to teach shephards.

Not true at all . . .

Shepherds are very very intelligent. I've never taken my to professional training because when I was in the military I was on such an odd schedule.

But my dog has learned so fast what I've taught him, it baffles me. And to be honest, I've spent minimal time training him.

All you need is repetition and some treats . . .

I'll never own a different breed.

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
I don't have too many good pics because I don't own a digital camera anymore . . . but here is one of yours truly and the pup in a friends pool . . .

Let the record show . . . I'm the one on the right . . .

Az Lurker

The Lurker
Reaction score
even at 125 pounds he's still a cute dog, I grew up with a sheppard/lab cross, smart dog if he could ever take his mind off tennis balls, and very easy to train.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Midswat said:
Not true at all . . .

Shepherds are very very intelligent. I've never taken my to professional training because when I was in the military I was on such an odd schedule.

But my dog has learned so fast what I've taught him, it baffles me. And to be honest, I've spent minimal time training him.

All you need is repetition and some treats . . .

I'll never own a different breed.
I had read that they took extremely firm and experienced handling, but I knew that they were extremely intelligent (top 5). I also read that they understand words in sometimes less than 10 repititions.

If they are as easy as you say, that might jumpstart me to find a breeder here. Do you happen to know how they are with other dogs? We have a boxer pup in the house right now, and I don't want there to be conflict....I know that boxers are superb with other dogs, just don't know about the shephard.

Curse you mid - I am already counting my money. ;)

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
I had read that they took extremely firm and experienced handling, but I knew that they were extremely intelligent (top 5). I also read that they understand words in sometimes less than 10 repititions.

If they are as easy as you say, that might jumpstart me to find a breeder here. Do you happen to know how they are with other dogs? We have a boxer pup in the house right now, and I don't want there to be conflict....I know that boxers are superb with other dogs, just don't know about the shephard.

Curse you mid - I am already counting my money. ;)

What a coincidence . . .

My roomate has a boxer pup.

They get along great.

Boxers are also very intellegent dogs.

Also . . . I've been taking my shepherd to the dog park since I got him, so he's used to being around other dogs.

Besides . . . if the Boxer pup is older and you've had him longer, then he should naturally take the early dominant role in the relationship.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
He's a good looking dog. I'd also like to have a shep but my favorite breed is boxer. I have a 120 lb boxer/pitbull but he's overweight lol
http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v316/Yeagermeister/Dog%20Pictures/Angus7.jpg

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
He's a good looking dog. I'd also like to have a shep but my favorite breed is boxer. I have a 120 lb boxer/pitbull but he's overweight lol
http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v316/Yeagermeister/Dog%20Pictures/Angus7.jpg

Looks like a good dog . . .

I'm not afraid of dogs by any means . . . but I'm certainly weary of pit bulls . . .

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Hey Mid - is your shepherd full? And if so, did you get him from a breeder? And if so, was it economical, or did you have to sale an organ to the mafia?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Midswat said:
Looks like a good dog . . .

I'm not afraid of dogs by any means . . . but I'm certainly weary of pit bulls . . .
He's a cool dog but he has his moments when he tries me but I have him bluffed :D

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Hey Mid - is your shepherd full? And if so, did you get him from a breeder? And if so, was it economical, or did you have to sale an organ to the mafia?

He's full . . .

But I basically stole him. The people I bought him from didn't have the papers for the father, so they didn't have papers for the pups.

But I saw the parents, and they clearly were full bred sheps . . . and I've taken him to two different vets and they've both agreed he's full bred.

I didn't really care about papers, because I'm not going to breed him or anything. In fact I had him neutered at an early age.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Midswat said:
He's full . . .

But I basically stole him. The people I bought him from didn't have the papers for the father, so they didn't have papers for the pups.

But I saw the parents, and they clearly were full bred sheps . . . and I've taken him to two different vets and they've both agreed he's full bred.

I didn't really care about papers, because I'm not going to breed him or anything. In fact I had him neutered at an early age.
I am not into breeding or showing - I just want a good dog that listens to me, is smart, likes to play (I understand Shepherds are ONLY happy learning skills - appeals to me greatly), and can fetch gir - I mean tennis balls - at the park.

However, I do want to be able to see the parents, because it is important that I do not get a bloodline with a history of dysplacia or behavioural problems.

I suppose I will just have to research....

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
I am not into breeding or showing - I just want a good dog that listens to me, is smart, likes to play (I understand Shepherds are ONLY happy learning skills - appeals to me greatly), and can fetch gir - I mean tennis balls - at the park.

However, I do want to be able to see the parents, because it is important that I do not get a bloodline with a history of dysplacia or behavioural problems.

I suppose I will just have to research....

Trust me . . . shepherd listen. And they are very loyal . . .

As far as fetching girls . . . when Hunter (my dog) was a pup, he was a chick magnet. Problem was, I had just broken up with my fiance and had hopes of getting back together, so I never took advantage. Now I'm on the prowl but he's so big that some people are afraid of him . . .

Oh . . . and he goes after tennis balls to . . . but who gives a s___ about that?

:D

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Midswat said:
Trust me . . . shepherd listen. And they are very loyal . . .

As far as fetching girls . . . when Hunter (my dog) was a pup, he was a chick magnet. Problem was, I had just broken up with my fiance and had hopes of getting back together, so I never took advantage. Now I'm on the prowl but he's so big that some people are afraid of him . . .

Oh . . . and he goes after tennis balls to . . . but who gives a s___ about that?

:D
A friend of mine owns a shepherd and he's learn to open the door and let himself out.

Reaction score
Gus & Goober say......
gusgoob_jersey.jpg
"Dachshunds rule.... Shepherds drool!!!"

:p

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
A friend of mine owns a shepherd and he's learn to open the door and let himself out.

Thats impressive.

My roomate trained his dog to ring a bell whenever it needs to go outside . . .

Its all repitition . . .

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Midswat said:
I don't have too many good pics because I don't own a digital camera anymore . . . but here is one of yours truly and the pup in a friends pool . . .

Let the record show . . . I'm the one on the right . . .
Do you ever feel a breeze at the top of your head when you are walking?