"Might Just End With This One" Draft

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
10. Kyle Pitts TE Florida - Best player in the draft, take our offense to an even higher level.

44. Ifeatu Melifonwu CB Syracuse - Prototypical Quinn CB, still may want a vet CB while he gets ready to start.

75. Tommy Togiai DT Ohio State - Competes with Woods at 1T

99. Jevon Holland S Oregon - Potential future at FS

115 Anthony Schwartz WR Auburn - Fastest player in the draft, blows the top off of defenses. Not sure how a team would stop our offense with Pitts and Schwartz added to it.

138. Divine Deablo S Virginia Tech - Reminds me a ton of Neal, could possibly replace him in 2022.

179. Nick Niemann LB Iowa - I like Niemann, but LB is the spot that I wish I had been able to do more with.

192 Brenden Jaimes OT Nebraska - Pet cat. Could play at several spots. Potential LT in the future. Probably 4th T this year, replacing Knight and Steele.

227 Avery Williams CB Boise State - Boise State player - duh. Special teams demon.

238 K.J. Britt LB Auburn - Another shot at the LB position.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
10. Kyle Pitts TE Florida - Best player in the draft, take our offense to an even higher level.

44. Ifeatu Melifonwu CB Syracuse - Prototypical Quinn CB, still may want a vet CB while he gets ready to start.

115 Anthony Schwartz WR Auburn - Fastest player in the draft, blows the top off of defenses. Not sure how a team would stop our offense with Pitts and Schwartz added to it.

138. Divine Deablo S Virginia Tech - Reminds me a ton of Neal, could possibly replace him in 2022.

179. Nick Niemann LB Iowa - I like Niemann, but LB is the spot that I wish I had been able to do more with.

192 Brenden Jaimes OT Nebraska - Pet cat. Could play at several spots. Potential LT in the future. Probably 4th T this year, replacing Knight and Steele.

227 Avery Williams CB Boise State - Boise State player - duh. Special teams demon.

Brian Baldinger just said on the NFL Network that he’s been watching film of Pitts and that he just can’t stop watching. He said that Pitts beats every player that any defense throws at him, including Patrick Surtain and Jaycee Horn. He said that he’s the best player coming out of college that he’s watched since he doesn’t know when. Then he said “in years”.

Pitts isn’t going to make it to 10. I’m beginning to doubt if he makes it to 5.

Having said all of that: I like your draft, starting with Pitts, who I like better than any prospect since Aaron Donald.

I’d rather have Stokes or Newsome than Melifonwu... but they both probably go before 44. Melifonwu is a pretty good prospect though.

I like Togiai, and I think the Cowboys do too. He’s a very solid DT IMO.

Holland I like a lot. If you could get him at 99, I’d be all in on that.

Swartz and Deablo are high upside shots that I wouldn’t mind the team taking, but I’d like to see Schwartz at 138 and Deablo at 179.

I also like Niemann a lot as a later round LB. I think he might actually be taken by Dallas.

Overall, not bad work.

MiddleStar

Reaction score
Would love that draft.
I don't think Pitts gets to 10 though.
If Holland got to 99, there is no telling what I would do.
Like Stokes, Newsome and possibly Joseph and Campbell more but I do like Melifonwu.
Not a big fan of Schwartz. Fast but isn't a returner and has trouble with press coverage. Would like to see what other WRs are out there at that spot. Do like the speed though- the one thing our receiver core is missing.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I like it, just don't see Pitts getting past 6. I like your 2nd and 3rd rounds a lot. I just did one where 4 QBs Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance, 1 TE Pitts, 2 WR Chase & Smith, 1 OL Sewell, and 1 LB Parsons went from 1-9. Surtain and Slater were on the board with the Chargers offering #13, #98, and #118 to move up for Slater. I did the deal figuring at least Horn would still be on the board. Chargers took Slater. NYG traded with the Patriots at #11 who took M. Jones and the Eagles took Waddle at #12. That left me with.

1. P. Surtain CB/Alabama who was still on the board
2. L. Eichenberg OT/Notre Dame
3. R. Grant FS/UCF
3. (From Chargers) T. Togiai NT/Ohio State
3. D. Moses LB/Alabama
4. T. Tremble TE/Notre Dame
4. (From Chargers) D. Odeyingbo DE/Vanderbilt
4. B. Brown DT/Texas A&M
5. J. Sherwood SS/Auburn
6. C. Evans RB/Michigan
7. C. Powell WR/Clemson
7. N. Niemann LB/Iowa

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Love you class, only thing is I don't see Holland that far down, he is more of a late 2nd rd prospect.

Totally agree with Pitts, I think if he somehow gets to the Lions at 7, we may have a chance, but still highly unlikely.

Big fan of both Melifonwu and Togiai, although the latter might be a little high. Perhaps flip him with Holland, slotting makes more realistic.

Deablo could be another Kam Chancellor, same school, similar build.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Brian Baldinger just said on the NFL Network that he’s been watching film of Pitts and that he just can’t stop watching. He said that Pitts beats every player that any defense throws at him, including Patrick Surtain and Jaycee Horn. He said that he’s the best player coming out of college that he’s watched since he doesn’t know when. Then he said “in years”.

Pitts isn’t going to make it to 10. I’m beginning to doubt if he makes it to 5.

Having said all of that: I like your draft, starting with Pitts, who I like better than any prospect since Aaron Donald.

I’d rather have Stokes or Newsome than Melifonwu... but they both probably go before 44. Melifonwu is a pretty good prospect though.

I like Togiai, and I think the Cowboys do too. He’s a very solid DT IMO.

Holland I like a lot. If you could get him at 99, I’d be all in on that.

Swartz and Deablo are high upside shots that I wouldn’t mind the team taking, but I’d like to see Schwartz at 138 and Deablo at 179.

I also like Niemann a lot as a later round LB. I think he might actually be taken by Dallas.

Overall, not bad work.
Well Surtain and Horn both defended Pitts better than anyone in the SEC, so they are all peers IMO in this draft class.
In no way am I knocking Pitts talent, but his superman status is becoming legendary.

eternaljester81

Reaction score

I’m not 100% sold on Melifonwu, but I absolutely love this draft. I’d be absolutely stoked by this, and Schwartz at 115 would make me very, very happy.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
I can’t wait til the first round is over so we can stop reading Pitts threads. It isn’t going to happen. Our D is the worst in the history of the cowboys. We aren’t taking a tight end. I just don’t see how hard this is for people to process.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
I can’t wait til the first round is over so we can stop reading Pitts threads. It isn’t going to happen. Our D is the worst in the history of the cowboys. We aren’t taking a tight end. I just don’t see how hard this is for people to process.

I agreed with you, early in the draft process, but after studying Pitts, I think passing on him at 10 to pick Surtain or Horn would be like passing on Moss (without the character concerns) again for Ellis. Was Ellis a good player? Yep! Did he fill a need at the time - yep! Would we be insane to do it again? Yep!!!

Plus, all Jerry would need to do is redo Cooper and/or DLaw's contracts and we can sign 2 - 3 quality vets on the defense that will probably help us more in 2021 than any rookies could do.

RamziD

Reaction score
The Pitts talk is getting ridiculous. He’s a great prospect, one of the best receivers (WR or TE) over the last several years. A team in the top 6-7 who does not have any receivers will get themselves a nice player in Pitts. I hope we are not seriously considering trading up for him. We can’t just throw the ball up to him all day and hope for multi-TD games when we have at least 3 other very good to great receivers. We can’t run an offense that is centered around Pitts like others would be able to do. It would be a waste of draft capital to move up for him. (I know OP has him at #10 but he probably won’t make it that far and reports that JJ is infatuated with him).

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I like it, just don't see Pitts getting past 6. I like your 2nd and 3rd rounds a lot. I just did one where 4 QBs Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance, 1 TE Pitts, 2 WR Chase & Smith, 1 OL Sewell, and 1 LB Parsons went from 1-9. Surtain and Slater were on the board with the Chargers offering #13, #98, and #118 to move up for Slater. I did the deal figuring at least Horn would still be on the board. Chargers took Slater. NYG traded with the Patriots at #11 who took M. Jones and the Eagles took Waddle at #12. That left me with.

3. R. Grant FS/UCF
3. D. Moses LB/Alabama
4. B. Brown DT/Texas A&M
5. J. Sherwood SS/Auburn
6. C. Evans RB/Michigan
7. C. Powell WR/Clemson
7. N. Niemann LB/Iowa

Give me this draft instead.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

These same fans clamoring for Pitts are the same ones saying that we will never build a defense with Dak's salary.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
These same fans clamoring for Pitts are the same ones saying that we will never build a defense with Dak's salary.

Nope. I would like Pitts, but I also think we can build a defense with Dak's salary. I am very curious with the logic of your statement. How did you come to that conclusion?

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
I agreed with you, early in the draft process, but after studying Pitts, I think passing on him at 10 to pick Surtain or Horn would be like passing on Moss (without the character concerns) again for Ellis. Was Ellis a good player? Yep! Did he fill a need at the time - yep! Would we be insane to do it again? Yep!!!

Plus, all Jerry would need to do is redo Cooper and/or DLaw's contracts and we can sign 2 - 3 quality vets on the defense that will probably help us more in 2021 than any rookies could do.
Pitts will never drop to 10. Even if he did, a team would trade with us because the giants or Philly would take him. Our d is horrendous. We could come out of this draft with 3-4 significant starters on d. We need them desperately. Read the tea leaves. We are low on corners, need a safety, and teams absolutely gash us on the run. The best way to help our offense isn’t with Pitts. It’s getting stops on d and giving our offense the ball back.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

3. R. Grant FS/UCF
3. D. Moses LB/Alabama
4. B. Brown DT/Texas A&M
5. J. Sherwood SS/Auburn
6. C. Evans RB/Michigan
7. C. Powell WR/Clemson
7. N. Niemann LB/Iowa
Would love a small trade back, and still draft defense in round one.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Nope. I would like Pitts, but I also think we can build a defense with Dak's salary. I am very curious with the logic of your statement. How did you come to that conclusion?

Great, so you are not one of those fans. I argue all day with some of them. Catch17 being the biggest culprit. He has been crying that we will never be able to build a defense with Dak's salary and will remain in mediocrity because of it. Now he turns around and wants to take a TE over defense. Its a contradiction. One of many.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't like picking Pitts at 10 but realize it's probably the smart move if he's there. But he won't be there. He'll get snatched up before 10, possibly someone trading up in front of us to get him.

And no, I don't advocate trading away 2nd and 3rd round picks to go chase a TE in the Top 10 either.

erod

Reaction score
Pitts isn't an option. He won't be there.

Why does everyone spend so much time on this?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I honestly don't know that I am as sold on Pitts as a lot of people but I have only watched limited clips of him. However, your statement perfectly summarizes why reaching for need is a killer early in the draft. If you truly believe a guy is BPA, generational talent, game altering (whatever your personal phrase is), you do NOT pass on him for a "good" or "almost great" player just because of need.