Might the Cowboys Go Mad Max? (Three Different HardCore Paths)

T-RO

Reaction score
This thread is not for the faint of heart. Here we outline 3 militant approaches at team building which many might consider rogue, subversive, obsessive, extreme. Might be too edgy for some readers.

The Cowboys have a good foundation already. Let's consider three radical approaches they could take moving forward.

All-In for Smash Mouth Offense
In this Mad Max Scenario the Cowboys devote extreme resources to the run game and bully ball.
-Bijan Robinson round 1
-Trade up into early round two to draft Darnell Washington, 6'7" 269 lbs who can catch, run and block like a fiend from hell. Add this mauler to our already-good o-line...o-my.

DoomsDay Defense Ultra Edition
Take a top defense and make it historic.
-Sign Wagner
-Trade up with 1st, 2nd and 3d round picks and draft bad boy uber-DT Jalen Carter (might still need to add one of our six edge guys to complete the trade.) Lots of things will be broken. Hopefully no laws.

Go Mad-Max extreme to Weaponize Dak
Here the Cowboys pursue Air Supremacy Above all.
-Round 1: Dalton Kincaid, TE (Kelce comparisons have been made)
-Round 2: Trade up around slot #35 and grab 4.3 speed Jahmyr Gibbs, rated as 2nd overall RB. Paired with Pollard we could see 900 yards in receiving from running back. Two good RBs to put Dak in easier 3rd down situations. Kincaid is Schultz on steroids.

Last edited:

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind TE Kincaid in round one, no way am I wasting a first round pick on a running back in a deep draft in today's NFL since a running back is only as good as the offensive line, you can get a good back in the third round and beyond..I like a guard or DT in the second round.... I don't see Dallas trading up in the second round, I think Dallas has learned from the past drafts about trading up early on in drafts.....stand pat, BPA should be the philosophy

T-RO

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind TE Kincaid in round one, no way am I wasting a first round pick on a running back in a deep draft in today's NFL since a running back is only as good as the offensive line, you can get a good back in the third round and beyond..I like a guard or DT in the second round.... I don't see Dallas trading up in the second round, I think Dallas has learned from the past drafts about trading up early on in drafts.....stand pat, BPA should be the philosophy

C'mon Quest. This isn't a thread for moderation. Go hard or go home.

If pressed...What will it be, given the three options? (You can exchange players)
: )

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
C'mon Quest. This isn't a thread for moderation. Go hard or go home.

If pressed...What will it be, given the three options? (You can exchange players)
: )
Closest I'm with you is on the third mad max option but just not trading up or taking a running back in the second round in a deep running back class.

Sydla

Reaction score
If you want bully ball and immediate results, Mayer makes more sense than Washington. Mayer is the better blocker and more polished pass catcher. He can likely contribute earlier. Washington clearly has a higher ceiling but it may take a few years to reach that ceiling.

So if you are in win now mode, Mayer make more sense in option one.

T-RO

Reaction score
If you want bully ball and immediate results, Mayer makes more sense than Washington. Mayer is the better blocker and more polished pass catcher. He can likely contribute earlier. Washington clearly has a higher ceiling but it may take a few years to reach that ceiling.

So if you are in win now mode, Mayer make more sense in option one.

Mayer is solid. Fundamental. Great hands. High Floor player. But he's no bully. He's never going to be a massive needle mover, never going to be a star.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm expecting and hoping to see O'Cyrus Torrence being selected in the 1st round of the draft. He's, by far, the most capable LG prospect that might be available. It's a need that would most likely solidify the OL really well for the season ahead. Of course, I'm assuming Bijan Robinson would already be taken by pick #26 in round one.

Last edited:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Options 1 or 2. Whichever you can achieve without trading up (at least not some major trade that burns thru a lot of draft resources). Let the board fall to you and maybe even trade down to get more picks in the sweet spot.

So, if I'm limited to your specific plans, that would eliminate option 2. No way I'm trading that much and certainly not for a guy who appears hell bent to crash his career before it begins.

Sydla

Reaction score
Mayer is solid. Fundamental. Great hands. High Floor player. But he's no bully. He's never going to be a massive needle mover, never going to be a star.
He's the best blocker of the bunch right now. He's a tough in traffic pass catcher.

He's not going to dominate a game like a Kelce as he doesn't have that kind of ability but if you want a TE that can come in, play right away, contribute right away, be able to block well.............. that's Mayer, not Washington.

Frankly, I wouldn't take a TE at all at 26. Would be great if a guy like LaPorta is sitting there in the 3rd, however.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This thread is not for the faint of heart. Here we outline 3 militant approaches at team building which many might consider rogue, subversive, obsessive, extreme. Might be too edgy for some readers.

The Cowboys have a good foundation already. Let's consider three radical approaches they could take moving forward.

All-In for Smash Mouth Offense
In this Mad Max Scenario the Cowboys devote extreme resources to the run game and bully ball.
-Bijan Robinson round 1
-Trade up into early round two to draft Darnell Washington, 6'7" 269 lbs who can catch, run and block like a fiend from hell. Add this mauler to our already-good o-line...o-my.

DoomsDay Defense Ultra Edition
Take a top defense and make it historic.
-Sign Wagner
-Trade up with 1st, 2nd and 3d round picks and draft bad boy uber-DT Jalen Carter (might still need to add one of our six edge guys to complete the trade.) Lots of things will be broken. Hopefully no laws.

Go Mad-Max extreme to Weaponize Dak
Here the Cowboys pursue Air Supremacy Above all.
-Round 1: Dalton Kincaid, TE (Kelce comparisons have been made)
-Round 2: Trade up around slot #35 and grab 4.3 speed Jahmyr Gibbs, rated as 2nd overall RB. Paired with Pollard we could see 900 yards in receiving from running back. Two good RBs to put Dak in easier 3rd down situations. Kincaid is Schultz on steroids.
Carter would have to drop out of the top 10 because a #26 plus a 2nd and 3rd won't get you into the top 10.

#58 & #90 get you to about #44. It would require next year's 2nd plus this year's 3rd to move up from #58 to #35.

• Washington
    • There is a good chance that TE Washington is not really ready as a receiver. His value would be as a run blocker as a rookie.
    • They could acquire a veteran run blocking TE with minimal receiving ability for relatively cheap.
    • Top rated blocking TE Marcedes Lewis averaged 2.89M over the past 5 seasons with Green Bay...

• Gibbs
    • Every year fans/media say that a specific RB will be a great receiver, but how often do rookie RBs rack up big receiving stats?
    • Even as veterans how many RBs make a huge impact as a receiver? Marshall Faulk...
    • Faulk's best receiver year he has 1048 receiving yards.
    • Pollard was expected to make a big impact as a receiver but his receiving yards per game by season:
    • How much would Gibbs play?
      • Pollard has 86 rushing attempts and 15 receptions his rookie season...
      • Even in 2022 when they lacked WRs, Pollard didn't play as slot WR on a significant number of snaps.
I'm not against Washington or Gibbs early 2nd, but that's because of their career potential, not heavily focused on their rookie seasons.

Sydla

Reaction score
Carter would have to drop out of the top 10 because a #26 plus a 2nd and 3rd won't get you into the top 10.

#58 & #90 get you to about #44. It would require next year's 2nd plus this year's 3rd to move up from #58 to #35.

• Washington
    • There is a good chance that TE Washington is not really ready as a receiver. His value would be as a run blocker as a rookie.
    • They could acquire a veteran run blocking TE with minimal receiving ability for relatively cheap.
    • Top rated blocking TE Marcedes Lewis averaged 2.89M over the past 5 seasons with Green Bay...

• Gibbs
    • Every year fans/media say that a specific RB will be a great receiver, but how often do rookie RBs rack up big receiving stats?
    • Even as veterans how many RBs make a huge impact as a receiver? Marshall Faulk...
    • Faulk's best receiver year he has 1048 receiving yards.
    • Pollard was expected to make a big impact as a receiver but his receiving yards per game by season:
    • How much would Gibbs play?
      • Pollard has 86 rushing attempts and 15 receptions his rookie season...
      • Even in 2022 when they lacked WRs, Pollard didn't play as slot WR on a significant number of snaps.
I'm not against Washington or Gibbs early 2nd, but that's because of their career potential, not heavily focused on their rookie seasons.
Agreed on Washington.

He is definitely an intriguing prospect given size and athleticism but people act like he's just gonna hit the ground running and be an effective option for Dak in this offense. That seems like a risk. The TEs at the top really are a mix.

If you want a guy to catch passes and be a Kelce type, you probaby should look at Kincaid. If you want a long range prospect that could develop into a freak, that's Washington. If you want a guy who can supplement the run game and be effective right from the start as a pass catcher, that's Mayer. Different flavors for different teams.

75boyz

Reaction score
I like the Doomsday Defense ultra approach.
Dak needs to be carried just as Dilfer and Brad Johnson was of the 2000 Ravens and 2002 Bucs.
He is inevitably gonna make mistakes, especially against playoff teams.
So we hafta save the team the best way we can from that inevitability.

Suffocating defense and then hope and pray Jerry's still got Linehan on speed dial to change Mac Cheese into a slow it down, run first/TOP offense that depends on its defense and field position.

It's a one in a million chance but it's a Lloyd Christmas chance no less, lol.

T-RO

Reaction score
So, if I'm limited to your specific plans, that would eliminate option 2. No way I'm trading that much and certainly not for a guy who appears hell bent to crash his career before it begins.

I didn't want T.O. because of character, or Micah, or Joseph or PacMan or Hardy. So it'll be no surprise I wouldn't want Jalen Carter. (Obviously I've changed my mind on Parsons. He seems a plus on character so far.)

Did want to present 3 hardcore approaches.

T-RO

Reaction score
He's the best blocker of the bunch right now. He's a tough in traffic pass catcher.

He's not going to dominate a game like a Kelce as he doesn't have that kind of ability but if you want a TE that can come in, play right away, contribute right away, be able to block well.............. that's Mayer, not Washington.

Frankly, I wouldn't take a TE at all at 26. Would be great if a guy like LaPorta is sitting there in the 3rd, however.

Wrong.

Mayer is Witten 2.0

OK, fair enough. As an immediate upgrade as blocker and a good-hands-guy...I'll concede that could be a part of the bully ball package...or alternatively the "Weaponize Dak" package.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK, fair enough. As an immediate upgrade as blocker and a good-hands-guy...I'll concede that could be a part of the bully ball package...or alternatively the "Weaponize Dak" package.
Mayer might be the most "ready now" player in the draft and the lowest risk.

The other TEs might have higher ceilings.
Mayer:
Witten

Washington:
Maybe Gronk but Maybe Marcedes Lewis.

Kincaid:
Maybe top 5 receiving TE in the league but maybe worse blocker than Schultz.

T-RO

Reaction score
Mayer might be the most "ready now" player in the draft and the lowest risk.

The other TEs might have higher ceilings.
Mayer:
Witten

Washington:
Maybe Gronk but Maybe Marcedes Lewis.

Kincaid:
Maybe top 5 receiving TE in the league but maybe worse blocker than Schultz.

Mostly agree here. There's a lot of interesting TEs for rounds 2-5. Washington is the most unpredictable. You kinda know what your'e getting with Mayer.