News: Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Success a Complicated Concept for Jerry Jones

CCBoy

Reaction score
Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Success a Complicated Concept for Jerry Jones
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...success-a-complicated-concept-for-jerry-jones

...The latest Forbes ranking of most valuable sports franchises has the Cowboys again on top. They are worth $4 billion. Four. Freaking. Billion.

As Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram wrote, Jones often talks about how when he bought the Cowboys 27 years ago, they were losing $1 million a month. In the past, I've heard the same thing from Jones. He's extraordinarily proud of the financial turnaround he has engineered, as he should be. Jones spent about $100 million to both purchase the team and obtain the leasing rights to Texas Stadium, as Williams pointed out. Of that total, almost $80 million came directly from Jones.

Now, there are few franchises in any sport that pump out cash like the Cowboys. They're a monster, which is why Forbes ranked them No. 1 ahead of Spanish soccer powers Real Madrid and Barcelona.

"I would say that I would trade it for some first downs," Jones told the Star-Telegram about the ranking.

The Forbes ranking shows, again, the duality that is Jerry Jones and the Cowboys. He's made the team into a financial success story, but the team hasn't won a Super Bowl since 1995, when Barry Switzer led Dallas to a title with a core of players assembled largely by Jimmy Johnson, who left two seasons before.

Back in the glory years of the Jones era, he was always the money guy, and Johnson was the football guy. What Jones has not been able to do since is find that Jimmy-like football guy. Johnson is another Hall of Famer (or, rather, he should be and one day likely will be) who didn't care about the financial aspect, just football.

The Forbes ranking also demonstrates just how hard it is to win despite making mounds of cash. In football, one has nothing to do with the other. It's all about drafting smartly, making intelligent free-agent signings and finding the right head coach. Jones has been sporadic, at best, at those three things.

This year has a good chance to be different. Dallas has the potential to make a deep playoff run, maybe even to the Super Bowl. Tony Romo is healthy again, the Dallas defense will be markedly better and the team may have the best running game in football. This could finally be Jones' post-Jimmy Johnson year.

hi-res-8940f5ed1ecbdd3be63af6b9729678dc_crop_exact.jpg

Matt Dunham/Associated Press

This could be the season that Jones becomes known for more than just overflowing checking accounts.

But for now—right now—Jones' legacy remains one of the cash king. He's been a moneymaker and a longtime NFL power broker. That is why he will get into the Hall of Fame, and deservedly so.

Yet in terms of winning games and championships, Jones' Cowboys have been remarkably mediocre. That might change this season. It will need to change if Jones' legacy as football man is to come close to that of his record as a businessman...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reminder:

We help Jerry make the Cowboys worth the $4 billion.

As for any business.
Are you saying we should stop helping Jerry? Then he can't afford to pay and keep the better players....:laugh:
And most fans money is a flash in the pan to where he makes his real money. But it adds up. But this is true for any business, any team.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
As for any business.
Are you saying we should stop helping Jerry? Then he can't afford to pay and keep the better players....:laugh:
And most fans money is a flash in the pan to where he makes his real money. But it adds up. But this is true for any business, any team.

Your crossing over the money Jerry uses to pay players which is from the money he gets from NFL TV rights.

With

The money we pay for all the extras. Jersey Sales - unlimited sponsorship by corporate partners.
That pay him to show they are associated with the Cowboys.
Stadium parking... Ect.

Now he is getting $ from the training facility.

All I was saying is that we the fans... You and me help Jerry reap the $$$$$$$$$$$ by being Cowboy fans.
Numbers talk to corporate sponsors.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your crossing over the money Jerry uses to pay players which is from the money he gets from NFL TV rights.

With

The money we pay for all the extras. Jersey Sales - unlimited sponsorship by corporate partners.
That pay him to show they are associated with the Cowboys.
Stadium parking... Ect.

Now he is getting $ from the training facility.

All I was saying is that we the fans... You and me help Jerry reap the $$$$$$$$$$$ by being Cowboy fans.
Numbers talk to corporate sponsors.

Well the parking and concessions are actually a separate company. They pay him a bidded price to be the service. They then make profits from that. I am sure there are stats and figures for how they bid on it.

coogrfan

Reaction score
Back in the glory years of the Jones era, he was always the money guy, and Johnson was the football guy. What Jones has not been able to do since is find that Jimmy-like football guy. Johnson is another Hall of Famer (or, rather, he should be and one day likely will be) who didn't care about the financial aspect, just football.

Unable to find that Jimmy-like football guy, or unwilling to do so?