Mike Hamlin released

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Apollo Creed;3616174 said:
He's definitely been a great addition for the Ravens defense.

Hamlin's veteran safety and high football IQ makes him constantly in a position to make plays on the ball. Hence the reason why teams never throw his direction and he only has 1 interception in 32 games.

The only knock on him though is he has poor tackling fundamentals, large in part due to the fact that teams don't run in his direction and he gets few opportunities.

His 0 tackles and 0 interceptions in 4 games played this year are another indication of why he makes you change the way you run your offense. Gotta always account for Ken, and those crafty Ravens keep him inactive and sneak him onto the waiver wire every now and again to keep his legs fresh for the playoffs push.

You aren't crazy Theo, he's a baller.

:laugh2:

hra8700

Reaction score
I found it! 35 targets, 6.1 y/a, 46% success rate in coverage in 2007.

Pretty good. It wouldn't be top 10 for a corner...probably is for a safety.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Apollo Creed;3616174 said:
He's definitely been a great addition for the Ravens defense.

Hamlin's veteran safety and high football IQ makes him constantly in a position to make plays on the ball. Hence the reason why teams never throw his direction and he only has 1 interception in 32 games.

The only knock on him though is he has poor tackling fundamentals, large in part due to the fact that teams don't run in his direction and he gets few opportunities.

His 0 tackles and 0 interceptions in 4 games played this year are another indication of why he makes you change the way you run your offense. Gotta always account for Ken, and those crafty Ravens keep him inactive and sneak him onto the waiver wire every now and again to keep his legs fresh for the playoffs push.

You aren't crazy Theo, he's a baller.

:eek:

Dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmn. :laugh2:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbgun;3615833 said:
re-post from the other day

[youtubehd]hUHqIFjFunI[/youtubehd]

I missed the middle of this thread, and I somehow missed the coverage on this play when I watched it live. This one really is embarrassing for Alan Ball. What the hell was he possibly thinking? That should have been a pick instead of a TD. Ouch.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Idgit;3616415 said:
I missed the middle of this thread, and I somehow missed the coverage on this play when I watched it live. This one really is embarrassing for Alan Ball. What the hell was he possibly thinking? That should have been a pick instead of a TD. Ouch.

It seems to me that Ball played better football last season.

I guess the 'battle' between him and Hamlin this offseason was more or less, who sucked less - and Ball won by default.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Apollo Creed;3616854 said:
It seems to me that Ball played better football last season.

I guess the 'battle' between him and Hamlin this offseason was more or less, who sucked less - and Ball won by default.

Ball wasn't great last season, but he played a lot better than he's playing now. I was a big fan of letting Ball take over this spot, but it's been a disaster. And it's been a disaster largely because he's slow to diagnose plays and taking really bad angles in coverage--which is supposed to be his strong suit.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Idgit;3616953 said:
Ball wasn't great last season, but he played a lot better than he's playing now. I was a big fan of letting Ball take over this spot, but it's been a disaster. And it's been a disaster largely because he's slow to diagnose plays and taking really bad angles in coverage--which is supposed to be his strong suit.

To be honest. His only strongsuit is that he's fast. That's what attracted Dallas coaches to the position.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob Sacamano;3617754 said:
To be honest. His only strongsuit is that he's fast. That's what attracted Dallas coaches to the position.

Well, he's a converted CB. He's supposed to have range and coverage ability. But he's out of position so much, that neither of those things have transpired. He is a pretty good tackler for his size, at least. He's gutsy. But he's not cutting it.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Idgit;3616953 said:
It's difficult for me to see how someone can say that he played a lot better last year than this year. It's possible that he just wasn't exploited last season or was simply lucky enough not to be caught on film in the act of sucking.

But comparing the several games before and after Ball started last season to those in which he did start shows a pretty stark difference in defensive statistics. It's always hard to assign responsibility for such differences to one or two players but given his performance this year, it's hard not to make those connections.

Ball is fortunate that we were winning those games that he played in, though. If we weren't, people would have started looking at him. The negatives really only bubble to the surface when you're losing. But Jerry was very clear why he got rid of Hamlin. For what he was playing, he wanted a "play-making safety." He thought Ball would provide equivalent play for much cheaper. That just wasn't the case.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Idgit;3617770 said:
Well, he's a converted CB. He's supposed to have range and coverage ability. But he's out of position so much, that neither of those things have transpired. He is a pretty good tackler for his size, at least. He's gutsy. But he's not cutting it.

No, he's not.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;3617777 said:
It's difficult for me to see how someone can say that he played a lot better last year than this year. It's possible that he just wasn't exploited last season or was simply lucky enough not to be caught on film in the act of sucking.

But comparing the several games before and after Ball started last season to those in which he did start shows a pretty stark difference in defensive statistics. It's always hard to assign responsibility for such differences to one or two players but given his performance this year, it's hard not to make those connections.

Ball is fortunate that we were winning those games that he played in, though. If we weren't, people would have started looking at him. The negatives really only bubble to the surface when you're losing. But Jerry was very clear why he got rid of Hamlin. For what he was playing, he wanted a "play-making safety." He thought Ball would provide equivalent play for much cheaper. That just wasn't the case.

I recall your posts on that topic during the offseason. Frankly, my recollections of his play last year extend to a couple of good tackles, and my recollections of Wade saying he started shaky but settled into the job with some playing time. But he was in during some of the games in our hot stretch where the defense was playing so well, that I figured he had to have held his own. This year, he's not holding his own right now.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Man he was late reacting to that. If nothing else, put on the burners and knock the guy out.

Nice jog Jack LaLanne. No need to hustle or anything.