Mike Holmgren

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
I personally feel that yesterday proved my point about this guy, he's just not as good as people think he is.

I've been saying all along, unless his team is superior, he won't win anything. The only reason this guy even has a SB ring is because Desmond HOward. The calls did not go Seattle's way, and it probably could have changed the outcome a little bit, but Holmgren was outcoached, again.

He needed, Favre, White, Levens, Brooks and Freeman, and a horde of other very good role players to win a SB, and he only achieved it because of his Special Teams Ace Desmond Howard.

Had Seattle won, I would tip my hat to Holmgren, but he has been very mediocre since his SB win in Green Bay 9 years ago.

I'm all for the argument that it takes time to build a SB caliber team, and that both teams had been with the same coach for a while, but look at what Cowher has done in Pittsburgh sine he's been there. He's gotten Pittsburgh to 2 SB's (more time than Holmgren, yes), however, also has gotten them to the AFC CHampionship 3 times since being htere. Hell, Cowher got the AFC Titlle game with Kordell Stewart, who he turned into a pro bowler.

Holmgren has lead his team to a pretty good 63-49 mark over his tenure in Seattle, however it looks alot better thanks to a 13-3 season this year, and we can all agree I think, that they should have been close tot 10-6 or 11-5 than 13-3. Last year they barely made the playoffs and lost to an 8-8 St. Louis squad, who were also terrible. The guy really hasn't done all that much up in Seattle. I think he gets far too much credit for what he did in Green Bay than he deserves.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Billy,

After watching yesterdays game, I have to agree with you.

They seemed to really break down in the drive at the end of the first half and the drive at the end of the game.

I also question why they did not run more up the middle. Alexander was really having success banging it up between the tackles. Much more so than his success to the outside.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
The drops, the penalties, that didn't help Holmgren. But I jsut can't help but think that he is overrated beyond belief.

He kind of strikes me as all the other "finess" coaches in the league...when matched up against a Smash Mouth team, they fold.

I mean, here you have the leagues MVP, aparantly one of the best RB's in the game ( I still dont buy it, cuz to me fantasy numbers dont make you the best in the league) and in a close game, you seem to be getting away from him. Sure he had 20 carries when it was all said and done, but it just didnt see that Seattle tried to run it at Pittsburgh enough. They kind of had trouble getting the running game going, but I would have stuck with it a bit more.

I dont see how in a game that was so close, Going into the 4th quarter, itw as only 14-10, that Seattle would throw so much.

49 attempts is alot.

I just dont think that Holmgren had a very good offensive game plan. To dominate the Field Position like Seattle did in the 1st half, and to walk away with only 3 points is not good.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
yeah. all he did was get a team that played without their top WR for 10 games and their #2 for another 3 at the same time to the SB.

yep. he sucks

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
I didnt say he sucks, I just said he's vastly overrated.

Come on, he got 6 wins gift wrapped right there because of the division they play in. Seattle would have gotten beaten up in any other division except maybe the NFC North. You think that Seattle plays Dallas Washington and NY 2 times each and still looks as good at the end of the season. Please . They got lucky agaisnt both us and NY. Wouldnt happen twice in one season.

Holmgren has been outcoached in every SB he's been in. Shanahan outcoached him, Parcells outcoached him, and Cowher outcoached him.

Everyone wants to give Seattle so much credit for doing things like beating Carolina. Well I'll grant you Steve Smith is a great player, and you should get some Koodos for containing him no matter what..but you definately dont get as much love if they don't have their starting RB, and really no semblance of a running game what so ever.

You can defend him all you want, but when you have the MVP of the NFL at RB, and you get thim the ball a mere 20 times, it's your own fault if you lose. Hasselbeck should have never thrown 49 passes. It's not like Pittsburgh built a 21-0 lead int he 1sthalf.

Seattle had a little trouble generating a running game, but so much that they basically had to get away from it all together? Thy got desperate too early, and that you can blame on Holmgren and his OC. They were taking way too many shots downfield for how close the game was.

If Shaun Alexander is all that he's cracked up to be, why would you take the ball out of his hands?

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Holmgren had a VERY rough day...his two minute offense made Herm Edwards look like Air Coryell...

Think about it....his team, the underdog, outplayed the Steelers at the line...his QB had a better day than the Pittsburg QB...his team won time of possession AND the turnover battle...AND he lost.

Geez....it's gonna be a long off season for him.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:
The drops, the penalties, that didn't help Holmgren. But I jsut can't help but think that he is overrated beyond belief.

He kind of strikes me as all the other "finess" coaches in the league...when matched up against a Smash Mouth team, they fold.

I mean, here you have the leagues MVP, aparantly one of the best RB's in the game ( I still dont buy it, cuz to me fantasy numbers dont make you the best in the league) and in a close game, you seem to be getting away from him. Sure he had 20 carries when it was all said and done, but it just didnt see that Seattle tried to run it at Pittsburgh enough. They kind of had trouble getting the running game going, but I would have stuck with it a bit more.

I dont see how in a game that was so close, Going into the 4th quarter, itw as only 14-10, that Seattle would throw so much.

49 attempts is alot.

I just dont think that Holmgren had a very good offensive game plan. To dominate the Field Position like Seattle did in the 1st half, and to walk away with only 3 points is not good.

Holmgren is a bit like Martz in respect to his offensive mindset.

He is a pass first and pass often offensive minded coach.

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
abersonc the homer of the board, thanks for your genious insight.

Coaches dont win games, PLAYERS DO!

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:
I personally feel that yesterday proved my point about this guy, he's just not as good as people think he is.

I've been saying all along, unless his team is superior, he won't win anything. The only reason this guy even has a SB ring is because Desmond HOward. The calls did not go Seattle's way, and it probably could have changed the outcome a little bit, but Holmgren was outcoached, again.

He needed, Favre, White, Levens, Brooks and Freeman, and a horde of other very good role players to win a SB, and he only achieved it because of his Special Teams Ace Desmond Howard.

Had Seattle won, I would tip my hat to Holmgren, but he has been very mediocre since his SB win in Green Bay 9 years ago.

I'm all for the argument that it takes time to build a SB caliber team, and that both teams had been with the same coach for a while, but look at what Cowher has done in Pittsburgh sine he's been there. He's gotten Pittsburgh to 2 SB's (more time than Holmgren, yes), however, also has gotten them to the AFC CHampionship 3 times since being htere. Hell, Cowher got the AFC Titlle game with Kordell Stewart, who he turned into a pro bowler.

Holmgren has lead his team to a pretty good 63-49 mark over his tenure in Seattle, however it looks alot better thanks to a 13-3 season this year, and we can all agree I think, that they should have been close tot 10-6 or 11-5 than 13-3. Last year they barely made the playoffs and lost to an 8-8 St. Louis squad, who were also terrible. The guy really hasn't done all that much up in Seattle. I think he gets far too much credit for what he did in Green Bay than he deserves.

I'm glad somebody else realizes that Desmond Howard IS the reason they beat New England in 96', not because Bledstud was forced to throw every down to come back and had 4 INT's. :mad:

Holmgren is a not a very good coach....don't get me wrong I'd still take him over 50% of the rest of the coaches in the league but he's not 'elite' like Jimmy Johnson, Parcells, Bellechek, etc.

I'm still amazed over the horrendous time management in not only the 1st half, but late in the game when they should have kicked a field goal, then attempt an onside kick...it was errily similar to watching last years game when mcgarbage and that fat slob andy reid blew any chance of coming back against the pats.

The bottom line if you don't come prepared for every possible scenario in the biggest game of the year, especially the two minute drill, you can forget about winning. That's why the steelers won with a QB that had a 22 passer rating and 2 int's. :laugh2:

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
the picture - willow haunts me....with a guitar....

jimmy40

Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
I'm glad somebody else realizes that Desmond Howard IS the reason they beat New England in 96', not because Bledstud was forced to throw every down to come back and had 4 INT's. :mad:

Holmgren is a not a very good coach....don't get me wrong I'd still take him over 50% of the rest of the coaches in the league but he's not 'elite' like Jimmy Johnson, Parcells, Bellechek, etc.

I'm still amazed over the horrendous time management in not only the 1st half, but late in the game when they should have kicked a field goal, then attempt an onside kick...it was errily similar to watching last years game when mcgarbage and that fat slob andy reid blew any chance of coming back against the pats.

The bottom line if you don't come prepared for every possible scenario in the biggest game of the year, especially the two minute drill, you can forget about winning. That's why the steelers won with a QB that had a 22 passer rating and 2 int's. :laugh2:
Bledsoe choked, period.

jimmy40

Reaction score
iceberg said:
well that explains the lack of a neck in his avatar pic then.
lol. That choker Bledsoe cost me good money and 10 years of grief from my Packer neighbor.:grrr:

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
Bledsoe choked, period.

The Pats special teams choked...also Max Lane (aka Rob Petitti Sr.) was mauled by Reggie White the entire game....both of these factors contributed to Bledsoe's demise and forced INT's.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
The Pats special teams choked...also Max Lane (aka Rob Petitti Sr.) was mauled by Reggie White the entire game....both of these factors contributed to Bledsoe's demise and forced INT's.

Very True. Go back and watch that game, and watch arguably the best DE of all time man handle Max Lane all day. Bledsoe didn't have a fighting chance. Not to mention every time NE looked to be inching back into contention Howard would just kill what they had going.

Future 585 said:
see barry switzer

I was going to add that into my analysis, but I dedicated this thread to Walrus.

Cowher outcoached Switzer, but lost because of Dallas' superior talent.

Cowher outcoached Holmgren yesterday. Period. Not even nessecarily in the head to head department, but just in general. Holmgren did a terrible job of clock management. I know the players cost you the game, but he did not do a good job getting those players ready.

Holmgren showed his ineptitute. I dont see how he didn't look at what he did against Carolina. They gave Alexaner the ball like 30 times that game. Again, in a game this close, how do you justify your QB throwing 49 times, while the NFL MVP gets 20 carries. That's just a bad game plan.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:

How do you feel about Big Bill? I mean it has been quite a dry spell for reaching the Championship game much less the Super Bowl......

Holmgren ran up against the hottest team in Sports right now......he had a good gameplan......minus the nervous tight end and less then average officiating and kicking from the billy cundiff kicking school.....the Hawks may have won!