Video: Mike Jackson

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

I saw this. His grabbiness really concerns me at the NFL level. Surprised to see it so much out of a big school like Miami. He is the prototype for what Richard wants to run, though. It is rare that guys this big are that fast. Seems like a good pickup from where he was selected, but he definitely needs polish.

Sydla

Reaction score

I saw this. His grabbiness really concerns me at the NFL level. Surprised to see it so much out of a big school like Miami. He is the prototype for what Richard wants to run, though. It is rare that guys this big are that fast. Seems like a good pickup from where he was selected, but he definitely needs polish.

I think you can get away with that grabbiness more in college. Brown was the same in college at Purdue.......... he could get grabby in college but got away with it there. It's haunted him from time to time in the pros.

I like the Jackson pick. I like taking chances on toolsy players late in the draft from major programs. The Westry move is another below the radar move that I liked but he's way more raw than Jackson IMO.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I often felt that Richard Sherman and the Legion of Boom were exceptionally 'grabby', but often got away with it. I found out how and why. The Seahawks asked the league to send officials to their team practices to ask questions and critique their defensive backs' work. They wanted to get every advantage that they permissibly could and to push the boundaries of aggressiveness without going over it. And I definitely think it worked to their benefit. I'm hopeful that Richard is doing that exact same thing here.

Az Lurker

The Lurker
Reaction score
I often felt that Richard Sherman and the Legion of Boom were exceptionally 'grabby', but often got away with it. I found out how and why. The Seahawks asked the league to send officials to their team practices to ask questions and critique their defensive backs' work. They wanted to get every advantage that they permissibly could and to push the boundaries of aggressiveness without going over it. And I definitely think it worked to their benefit. I'm hopeful that Richard is doing that exact same thing here.

They held on every play with the understanding that refs wouldn't call it most of the time. They've lead the league in defensive penalties almost every year but as long as it's a net advantage they're not about to stop.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Kris Richard scheme and CB Techniques with the scheme cause a fundamental change in the way CBs play.

It's almost like the difference in playing DE in a 3-4 vs 4-3. Both are called Defensive End but it's a much different position.

KR uses multiple different coverage(s); however, his base coverage has the CBs playing a man/zone hybrid that is based on how the WR reacts off the snap.

In this base coverage the CB does not worry about inside routes off the snap. Those are the responsibility of LBs/Safeties playing Zone.

The CB drops into an intermediate/deep sideline zone if the WR cuts inside off the snap but the CB takes the WR in man if he goes outside off the snap.
Either way the CB is covering the sideline area which narrows the field for the FS.

The key is the unique kick-step press technique. The CB basically stands in front of the WR and does not budge until the WR makes his cut.
If the WR cuts outside, then the CB presses him and uses the press to slow the WR while the WRs momentum actually helps the CB transition
to turn and run in stride with the WR.

The CB aligns with inside leverage which makes it difficult for the WR to cut inside.

Obviously they also play standard zone and off-man. If you see the CB covering inside routes it's in one of those coverage(s).

Summary:
The Kris Richard scheme alleviates much of the need for CBs to grab outside of the 5 yards area where contact is legal.
The CB in this scheme do tend to push the boundaries of physical play within the 5 yard area but the scheme and technique
eliminate much of the panic that causes many CBs to grab WRs to the point of getting a penalty.

The difference between Nickel CB Anthony Brown from 2017 to 2018 was dramatic.
The scheme in 2017 made it harder for him to succeed than average NFL schemes.
The scheme in 2018 made is easier for him to succeed than average NFL schemes.

HungryLion

Reaction score
They held on every play with the understanding that refs wouldn't call it most of the time. They've lead the league in defensive penalties almost every year but as long as it's a net advantage they're not about to stop.

This is true.

Although it was sweeeeeeeeeeeet to see this philosophy bite them in the butt hard, during the playoff game where they got flagged for PI on 3rd down twice in a row on our final TD drive.

It was awesome to see their conscious choice to cheat and hope to get away with it, fail them when it counted most.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That's what I thought originally; however, after the Cowboys hired Kris Richard I went back and studied the Seattle coverage scheme and spent a good bit of time reviewing Richard Sherman.

They did push the boundary in terms of a physical style of play; however, it was rarely clear-cut holding.

Even before Kris Richards came to the Cowboys, Byron Jones used a similar style when they used him to cover TEs.

Beaker42

Reaction score

He needs to be FS and move Woods to SS.

Mr_437

Reaction score
From what I saw DAL had few pass interference calls, and holding penalties. Year 2 w/ Richard, hopefully BJ comes back 100% and Chido hamstrings act rights.

Jackson will have his opportunity, competition is challenging tho...Goodwin, Olumba, DeCoud. Also, considering the number of talented players at DL, OL, WR...etc. Could keeping only 4 CBs be the move, again?

cern

Reaction score
I'm certain kris Richard will be the best coach he's ever had and will help him get over this problem. Great upside. Can't wait for the preseason.

Techsass

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not quite as big a fan of Kris as most, but I still think he's very good. Slowly, but surely I'll get there eventually. I think he's great as a DB coach. Another year under Rod might get him ready to become an awesome DC. For us hopefully.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It drove me crazy for years trying to remember were I saw the fruitcake with the saxophone,then I caught lost boys a few weeks ago. But yes, the grabbiness is a problem, hopefully Richard can fix that.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

MJ represents Richards first coach em up pick.
May be a late rounder but Ive seen other coaches never get a guy.
This pick was a bone for Richard,, bit of respect.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Disagree on your worries, respectfully. Look at the Seahawks DBs when Richards was there. They all grabbed. Even now they do. That's what we need. Big, tall and fast DBs who are going to hound opposing WRs and make it challenging all game long.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The Kris Richard scheme and CB Techniques with the scheme cause a fundamental change in the way CBs play.

It's almost like the difference in playing DE in a 3-4 vs 4-3. Both are called Defensive End but it's a much different position.

KR uses multiple different coverage(s); however, his base coverage has the CBs playing a man/zone hybrid that is based on how the WR reacts off the snap.

In this base coverage the CB does not worry about inside routes off the snap. Those are the responsibility of LBs/Safeties playing Zone.

The CB drops into an intermediate/deep sideline zone if the WR cuts inside off the snap but the CB takes the WR in man if he goes outside off the snap.
Either way the CB is covering the sideline area which narrows the field for the FS.

The key is the unique kick-step press technique. The CB basically stands in front of the WR and does not budge until the WR makes his cut.
If the WR cuts outside, then the CB presses him and uses the press to slow the WR while the WRs momentum actually helps the CB transition
to turn and run in stride with the WR.

The CB aligns with inside leverage which makes it difficult for the WR to cut inside.

Obviously they also play standard zone and off-man. If you see the CB covering inside routes it's in one of those coverage(s).

Summary:
The Kris Richard scheme alleviates much of the need for CBs to grab outside of the 5 yards area where contact is legal.
The CB in this scheme do tend to push the boundaries of physical play within the 5 yard area but the scheme and technique
eliminate much of the panic that causes many CBs to grab WRs to the point of getting a penalty.

The difference between Nickel CB Anthony Brown from 2017 to 2018 was dramatic.
The scheme in 2017 made it harder for him to succeed than average NFL schemes.
The scheme in 2018 made is easier for him to succeed than average NFL schemes.
This is why I love this forum, the posters here sometimes just blow me away, and you xwalker bring incite that I always enjoy, and leaves me wondering if you are not on Jerrys payroll..ha
I liked this pick at that point in the draft. MJ has tremendous ceiling, intangibles. Everything Richard wants in his secondary,, just really green, but exactly what you want if your a coach with confidence in your ability to turn green into gold.
I have high expectations for this duo.. Richard/MJ.. good place to land kid.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

His combine profile makes him sound like a FS conversion project. Better with Zone and straight line speed. Poor agility for a corner. The increased size makes for a FS too.

ksadler1

Reaction score
I think you can get away with that grabbiness more in college. Brown was the same in college at Purdue.......... he could get grabby in college but got away with it there. It's haunted him from time to time in the pros.

He would have been a great pick for Seattle. They have to be "grabbiest" team in the NFL and rarely get called for it...

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
I've probably seen him play more than most on this board as a longtime Miami Hurricanes supporter. He will need a year under Richard to be a real player, he has the attributes you want.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Mike Jackson was accused of being a "non factor vs. the run" by Lindy's evaluation in Athlon magazine. Here's hoping that Kris Richard finds a way to convince him to commit himself to run coverage as needed. He also must restrain himself from being too "handsy" like he was in college with his pass coverage. These are the main shortcomings he must correct if he's to become truly successful. Hopefully, he will. Right now, he's getting good reviews in team practices. In TC and in preseason games, the staff will be a bit more demanding. Good luck to this young rookie in his ongoing development.

Last edited: