Video: Mike Jackson

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
His combine profile makes him sound like a FS conversion project. Better with Zone and straight line speed. Poor agility for a corner. The increased size makes for a FS too.
Maybe right, but I want to see what MJ has at this level in camp and preseason before I start moving him to FS.. big corners with his speed are top end commodities in this league if they can play.. we shall see.... patience grasshopper.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Maybe right, but I want to see what MJ has at this level in camp and preseason before I start moving him to FS.. big corners with his speed are top end commodities in this league if they can play.. we shall see.... patience grasshopper.

It's probably the same deal as Byron. He'll play CB this year. Maybe in the offseason they tell him to gear up for FS.

I've got no rush. Just saying where he's likely to have more value. Speed but poor agility, better in zone than man, longer and taller all point to FS. Maybe the man coverage on TEs that Byron used to do. That does seem like a good fit, and maybe this year, now that I mention it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's probably the same deal as Byron. He'll play CB this year. Maybe in the offseason they tell him to gear up for FS.

I've got no rush. Just saying where he's likely to have more value. Speed but poor agility, better in zone than man, longer and taller all point to FS. Maybe the man coverage on TEs that Byron used to do. That does seem like a good fit, and maybe this year, now that I mention it.

I don not think they drafted him with the idea of playing him at Safety.

He is a better fit at CB in the Kris Richard scheme than in other schemes.

One or both of Byron Jones and Anthony Brown will be gone in free agency after this season.

Jackson is big with excellent straight line speed which is the basic requirements for a Kris Richard CB.

Short area agility/quickness is much less valued by Kris Richard than size and speed.

In 2018 Brown was the Nickel CB and Lewis was the 4th CB.
People claimed that was due to size but Brown is barely bigger (An inch taller and 4 pounds heavier).
The big difference is that Brown ran a 4.33 forty and Lewis ran a 4.54 forty.

Jackson ran a 4.45 at 6-1, 210 with good arm length. That spells KR CB.

If Jackson did play Safety, it would be FS. The Cowboys already like Woods at FS and Heath is better at FS than SS.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I don not think they drafted him with the idea of playing him at Safety.

He is a better fit at CB in the Kris Richard scheme than in other schemes.

One or both of Byron Jones and Anthony Brown will be gone in free agency after this season.

Jackson is big with excellent straight line speed which is the basic requirements for a Kris Richard CB.

Short area agility/quickness is much less valued by Kris Richard than size and speed.

In 2018 Brown was the Nickel CB and Lewis was the 4th CB.
People claimed that was due to size but Brown is barely bigger (An inch taller and 4 pounds heavier).
The big difference is that Brown ran a 4.33 forty and Lewis ran a 4.54 forty.

Jackson ran a 4.45 at 6-1, 210 with good arm length. That spells KR CB.

If Jackson did play Safety, it would be FS. The Cowboys already like Woods at FS and Heath is better at FS than SS.

He is a better fit for CB with KR than other places, but still a better fit at FS. As for their plan, I hope they plan to use him where he fits best.

Heath probably leaves next year. Jackson can backfill Heath as the backup FS in 2020 and starting FS in 2021.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Ideally he has a year to mostly watch in 2019 with only spot duty....refining technique and getting coached up for a larger role in 2020.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A total Richard pick. Not that he made the selection but he's the reason why he was picked. I doubt the Cowboys would have drafted him in any other scenario. It's teh length fetish.

I don't think much of a defensive (quasi) coordinator who thinks Mike Jackson has value and Jourdan Lewis doesn't.