Mike Mayock on Mike Jenkins

CPonder14

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80801d52

Mike Mayock

"I watched 4 or 5 tapes on him. Couple tapes he looks like a top 10 pick, couple tapes I wouldn't take him in the 3rd round. Somebody is going to say I'm going to coach him up and make him a pro-bowl player."

For some reason the link doesn't take you to the video. Look towards the bottom, and scroll till you find..

2008 Draft:
Cowboys No. 25
pick

click it

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
That's what worries me about him. Guys with questionable work habits and inconsistent effort scare the bejeezus out of me.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2055762 said:
That's what worries me about him. Guys with questionable work habits and inconsistent effort scare the bejeezus out of me.

agree. It never gets better once they get the $$.

CPonder14

Reaction score
For some reason the link does not take you to the video. trust me its there you just have to search for it.

sorry...

Reaction score
He's not getting that much money. He will get alot more if he plays to his potential and gets a second contract. I dont think you will have to worry about him not working hard.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
The first day of this draft is going to go down as a boom or bust draft. I don't see anyone looking back on this draft 5 years from now and handing out a B-. If Felix' speed doesn't translate, if Mike Jenkins plays like his junior year instead of his senior year or if Martellus Bennett plays like ... well, Martellus Bennet ... this could be a disaster. Especially if Mendelhall turns into All World.

On the other hand, there's lots of upside too for this draft to be a very good one.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2056138 said:
The first day of this draft is going to go down as a boom or bust draft. I don't see anyone looking back on this draft 5 years from now and handing out a B-. If Felix' speed doesn't translate, if Mike Jenkins plays like his junior year instead of his senior year or if Martellus Bennett plays like ... well, Martellus Bennet ... this could be a disaster. Especially if Mendelhall turns into All World.

On the other hand, there's lots of upside too for this draft to be a very good one.

I agree

but that's what you usually aim for in the 1st round, potentially huge payoffs, because no matter how you look at it, every pick is a risk of busting

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
..Jenkins is probably only being required to play the 4th CB for this year and next, failing something bad occurring again with our CBs.

I also saw where he played safety in college early in his college days.

Possibility of him as a backup at FS or SS maybe.

This is really a very good pick. He was on many mock drafts and he was always below #22 when I'd see him and not usually available for any of our picks.

So I think this is a good thing they moved up to get him. He wouldn't have lasted for us at #28 and that would have really screwed up our 1st Rd. not to have come out with top RB and CB selections.

Good work, Cowboys.

:starspin ReDBaLL ExPreSS :starspin

lostinomiya

Reaction score
was watching the draft online in my bed in Tokyo in the middle of the night on NFL network...mayock seemed to be able to predict/assess a fair number of the picks pretty well..he seems to be pretty good....?

jbsg02

Reaction score
This really was a pretty down year talent wise anyways. Other than McFadden, Dorsey, and Long, there werent a lot of elite prospects. The RB class was good, but other than that, pretty weak. So taking that into account, we did pretty good.

btcutter

Reaction score
jbsg02;2056256 said:
This really was a pretty down year talent wise anyways. Other than McFadden, Dorsey, and Long, there werent a lot of elite prospects. The RB class was good, but other than that, pretty weak. So taking that into account, we did pretty good.

This is a better yr for the draft compare to some years. Esp deep at DB, RB and OL.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2055762 said:

That was my biggest fear about Jenkins. My heart sank when the Cowboys traded up to take him.

Cason is a much better complement to Pacman. Cason's character would have been a better fit with the majority of the team_hard working, smart plus playmaking skills. Cason was a stud for a majority of his 4 years in school. Jenkins was on no one's radar until 2007. Trae Williams was considered the better CB on the team until Jenkin's breakout year.

Jerry reached for Jenkins, plain and simple. Chargers wanted Cason all the way, AJ and Buddy place a premium on leadership and proven production. They'll take a chance on pure athletic potential, usually in the later rounds (Antonio Cromartie has been the sole exception).

jjktkk

Reaction score
BAT;2056434 said:
That was my biggest fear about Jenkins. My heart sank when the Cowboys traded up to take him.

Cason is a much better complement to Pacman. Cason's character would have been a better fit with the majority of the team_hard working, smart plus playmaking skills. Cason was a stud for a majority of his 4 years in school. Jenkins was on no one's radar until 2007. Trae Williams was considered the better CB on the team until Jenkin's breakout year.

Jerry reached for Jenkins, plain and simple. Chargers wanted Cason all the way, AJ and Buddy place a premium on leadership and proven production. They'll take a chance on pure athletic potential, usually in the later rounds (Antonio Cromartie has been the sole exception).

How can Jenkins be a reach when he was the #1 rated cb in many draft publications, like TSN, for example?

Derinyar

Reaction score
jjktkk;2056504 said:
How can Jenkins be a reach when he was the #1 rated cb in many draft publications, like TSN, for example?

*****... Pearl Harbor..... don't stop him hes on a roll.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
So why not take a guy (Cason) that was consistently better than Jenkins even on his best day?

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
theogt;2056551 said:
So why not take a guy (Cason) that was consistently better than Jenkins even on his best day?

I'm a big Cason fan, but wasn't he not even projected to go in the first by a lot of folks? Thought he was ranked as the 40th-ish best player by Goose.

Ironically, the one downside I felt of drafting him was we'd hear from the "REACH!!!" crowd.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
Does Jenkin's arrival give a greater possibility of having Anthony Henry moving over the Safety position? What if Pacman can come back this season?