Recap: Mike McCarthy Press Conference 1/18 - First since Jerry's Announcement to Keep Him

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Agreed and what worries me the most.

Need some of Parcells practical "you are what you are" right now.

Rex Ryan made a comment in Get Up that all Coach/GM/QB interviews were like "we are the cowboys and deserve to lay our jock on field and be the dominant team." LOL
2024 is likely a wasted year. Gonna have to fire MM next year. 2025 will then be wasted as the new HC acclimates.

I can’t stand the way this FO makes decisions and sets culture. Clueless doesn’t begin ti describe the levels of incompetence on display.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
2024 is likely a wasted year. Gonna have to fire MM next year. 2025 will then be wasted as the new HC acclimates.

I can’t stand the way this FO makes decisions and sets culture. Clueless doesn’t begin ti describe the levels of incompetence on display.
Bunch of threads going around now including my FA list for Jerry to be aggressive in FA. VERY aggressive.

We need a Deion Sanders type signing again. That guy this year is Chris Jones considering every tough loss we had they pushed around our Front 7 like dominoes.

That's only way I think most of us won't feel like 2024 is going to be an empty year. Sad part is Stephen is preparing to inherit his empire, he's much cheaper than daddy, so I doubt we get much at all.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
For you late night guys if you missed "The Return of Mac" PC and want to know what he talked about....

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
McCarthy had Farve and PRIME Rodgers and won only one Super Bowl. Yet you guys are surprised he can't win one with Dak? :lmao: I doubt Mahomes could win in Dallas. So minus getting Jesus to come down and play quarterback we're screwed. You guys want to win a Super Bowl. GET A DOMINATE DEFENSE!!

Aven8

Reaction score

• Your meeting with Jerry?
    • Long. 3 hours. Obviously talked about our disappointment. Covered entire program.
  • So...?
    • We went through things we felt factored in it. Personnel, coaches, business affairs. It was productive.
  • Working without an extension?
    • I never talk about player or coach contracts. Been that way for 20 years. But VERY confident in direction we are going.
  • Relief? Focus?
    • Professionally, this is what I do. It's tough. When you talk to every player and coach, that's what I did Mon-Tue. Emotional for all of us. Family part is the only thing that concerns me.
  • Mindset going forward?
    • Right now, this press conference. I have a job to do with the team.
  • What needs to change with Team to get past?
    • Honestly, still a little bit numb. Doesn't matter what year you are in or your experience, approach should always be changes and new emphasis. We accomplished a lot of things this year and will build on it. How big a change we make is part of the adjustment.
  • Biggest regret?
    • Not winning the game. Coaches gave me their evaluations last night. Going to meeting from here. You work a whole season and establish a standard of play, so biggest disappointment is performance in that game.
  • Do you try and tweak the way you evaluate Playoff game because it was so below?
    • Asked to clarify. Education is big. Then application. Your evaluation process has to be well oiled. Hard part about coming in today is there is a tremendous amount of emotion, but you have to get it out of the way. How will you learn and grow? That is a process. Evaluation is never the same, applying to different people.
  • Common denominators with Bills, 49ers, Playoff game?
    • Absolutely. Negatives of those games are definitely at forefront of what we will try and improve.
  • Fan base message?
    • They should be frustrated. We are disappointed for them and in our performance. My message would be we have established a championship program, just not the right championship yet. We know how to win. I know how to win. We will get over that threshold. Because I have that confidence, I sit here today.
  • Green Bay you won SB in Year 5. Same trajectory?
    • Yes. Layup question. :D Reality is though that the team will change. Just starting with the roster. 25% of our players will be different no matter what. I love the way these guys work, they are very coachable. So many good things happening but players came up shorter than we anticipated.
  • How difficult were exit meetings with players?
    • They are amazing men and strong. The discipline in their emotion and ability to express. Monday are veterans so more in-depth. They give me plenty to think and look at. The mid guys, 3-4 years, little more there of what I need from you. Last group 1st year and FAs. Everytime I do it it's a grind, but it's so productive. Lot of strength and confirmation that comes from those conversations.
  • Your assistants?
    • Will start those next week. This is time of year where there are opportunities. Dan's situation. We'll work through those as they happen.
  • Your value and partnership with Jerry in conversation?
    • We pealed back layers and disappointment. Best meetings I have with Jerry are 1-on-1. He's an awesome boss, but he's an even better leader. He asks blunt hard questions which I appreciate. Always so much that comes out of it. We talked about everything - the right, the wrong, the indifferent. What we need to build off. Hard conversations, but I always look forward to them.
  • Assumption Dan gets job somewhere else?
    • Dan is highly valued member of our coaching staff. We'll go through the process.
  • Players wanted you back, but what was their feedback with you.
    • Every category. Confirmation on how we operate. Development. Different maturity levels, different backgrounds, that's always the most challenging.
  • Why should they buy back?
    • Because I believe the direction and leadership is in place. I'm not comfortable talking about myself but I came here to win a Championship, and that is still the plan.
  • Exit interview with Dak?
    • Productive. We spend so much time together already, more of a continuation. I have unbelievable belief in him. This offense has suited him well. Growth opportunity that we both see for future is exciting. Big part of conversation is disappointment. We talked about particulars of game and how to imrove it.
  • Growth?
    • Situations we've been through now apply to training. Conversations in particular with veterans, how do I tweak the training component to move the needle. Dak's conversation is big part of that not only for QB but what he means to the team.
  • Running football, and stopping run, struggled.
    • We were below the line obviously. Goes with last question. Training - how you can improve it? We're not worried about it though.
  • How much change?
    • Too early.
  • Tyron's future?
    • My best season with him. He felt good about that. He's not going into offseason with any big surgery is a plus. We continue to talk.
  • What connects your 3 postseason losses?
    • We didn't play well enough.
  • Did you walk into Jerry meeting wondering about your job security?
    • It was a sprint. Just heard about it. I was in moment. Honestly, only thing I worry about is my family. Extremely confident who I am, and confidence in where we are going. That is how the meeting ended. We got work to do. We both know that.
  • 3 postseason loss games?
    • Reality is those are all very different teams. We are responsible for this year. I know it's disappointing to fans. But that's the best answer.
  • Dak's bond and support?
    • We have a connection and believe in direction we are going. I believe in Dak Prescott, he's part of the solution. As difficult as right now is, we can work through the emotional period and continue to build.
  • What is process to figure out missing piece?
    • You get back to beginning, you train to win games, you don't even get a chance to answer these questions. First things first. Making sure we are more equipped in all arenas.
  • Another point in your career where you dealt with similar emotions?
    • NFC Championship game and losing my brother.
  • Next mindset step?
    • Continue to work. Stay the course.
  • Was team mentally ready for GB game? You went to CeeDee on bench?
    • Yes they were. I went to CeeDee many times. Our conversation was on a vertical route opportunity. How we saw it. 2 ways to do it. So making sure receiver and Dak were on same page. We chased too many plays and it bit us on the arse.
  • Do you have to calm down in a game like that?
    • Every player has a guage. Some too fast, too slow. Have to be neutral and the right fit into the scheme and next to the guy playing with you. That's football.
  • What do you tell fans with desire to change?
    • I clearly understand the emotion of all this and fan perspective. But that's really what evaluation process is for. Very raw right now. Definitely going to be changes and adjustments. And we have a lot we can build off. Tell PappyDog and Mountaineer that no matter what they write on that Zone Forum, Dak is my boy, and we're going to go out as Super Bowl champs. Represent!

I’m sorry to everyone who thinks differently but I like Mike a lot and thinks he’s an excellent coach. I just think Jerry and Stephen are buffoons.