Recap: Mike McCarthy Press Conference 11/11 (Randy Gregory out)

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Thursday PC time. Probably the best indicator of what we'll see Sunday with injuries, gameplans, etc.

Appreciate Woody's Girl, BAT and all you folks who add the Twitters with more details.
  • Veteran holdout not continuing today. Just being smart yesterday.
  • Kicker, on Saturday we will set the limits after we've seen a good week of him.
  • Tyron making progress. Better than last week. All I know.
  • Randy Gregory had the injury in practice yesterday 1-1. Unfortunate. Multiple week injury. Calf strain. May go on IR. Can't compare the players who had calf strains. Location is similar to Dak's. Yes, it hurts. One of our best players on D right now.
  • Defensive line rotation, just have to increase 3rd and 4th spots. Not considering someone on outside yet. We will stay the course on D plan.
  • Offenses are going to play us more aggressively because of our offense. Can't say it's ALWAYS coverage or pass rush allowing a big play. Combination.
  • Dak had a good day. He's back to practicing normal. No limitations.
  • Gallup had a good day. Some rust timing issues, that's all. Have to be smart how much we use him and Ced. I don't envision Michael being held back.
  • Dan Quinn does a tremendous job on rotating defensive players. Will only make us stronger playing these young guys so early. Dan does a great job identifying the strengths of his roster and playing them to that.
  • I look at all fatigue injuries the same. Always at forefront of my thinking. I always watch video to see how the injury happened at practice. How much practice can I push them? I look at all these though as isolated incidents.
  • Bradley Anae - Played well. Better STer than defender.
  • I would consider Cordarelle Patterson as good as Devin Hester, and Devin is the best I've ever seen. CP is cranking 21 mph right away. Extremely productive player.

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gregory injury came at the worse time. No pass rush against Ryan, Mahomes and probably Carr. Unless Dlaw is back for the KC game. But I am doubting he will be.
It is just what this team does. Hill should be ready, but no word on him, nothing on Gallimore either. Come on and give us some good news, not bad, for once.
This defense is bad enough still, and we need players to return, not lose more.

Just way too many lingering injury issues with this team. On the bright side, they aren't out for the season. However as many as they have had, it seems like the accumulation is like having players out for the season. Missing many games as a total.

This team has been snake bitten for years. And now it is continuing. Not conceding the season, but it is not looking good going forward at this point in time. We won't have a chance to clinch the division until the last 2 or 3 games. Hopefully all are healthy at that time.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Bradley Anae - Played well. Better STer than defender.

Why mention him unless they are planning to bring him back up? But why bring him up if he is "Better STer than defender"?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Thursday PC time. Probably the best indicator of what we'll see Sunday with injuries, gameplans, etc.

Appreciate Woody's Girl, BAT and all you folks who add the Twitters with more details.
  • Veteran holdout not continuing today. Just being smart yesterday.
  • Kicker, on Saturday we will set the limits after we've seen a good week of him.
  • Tyron making progress. Better than last week. All I know.
  • Randy Gregory had the injury in practice yesterday 1-1. Unfortunate. Multiple week injury. Calf strain. May go on IR. Can't compare the players who had calf strains. Location is similar to Dak's. Yes, it hurts. One of our best players on D right now.
  • Defensive line rotation, just have to increase 3rd and 4th spots. Not considering someone on outside yet. We will stay the course on D plan.
  • Offenses are going to play us more aggressively because of our offense. Can't say it's ALWAYS coverage or pass rush allowing a big play. Combination.
  • Dak had a good day. He's back to practicing normal. No limitations.
  • Gallup had a good day. Some rust timing issues, that's all. Have to be smart how much we use him and Ced. I don't envision Michael being held back.
  • Dan Quinn does a tremendous job on rotating defensive players. Will only make us stronger playing these young guys so early. Dan does a great job identifying the strengths of his roster and playing them to that.
  • I look at all fatigue injuries the same. Always at forefront of my thinking. I always watch video to see how the injury happened at practice. How much practice can I push them? I look at all these though as isolated incidents.
  • I would consider Cordarelle Patterson as good as Devin Hester, and Devin is the best I've ever seen. CP is cranking 21 mph right away. Extremely productive player.

Wait, he really said Anae is a better special teamer than defender? That’s like damning praise.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Bradley Anae - Played well. Better STer than defender.

Why mention him unless they are planning to bring him back up? But why bring him up if he is "Better STer than defender"?

There was a question about him. I didn't catch the question. Most likely about him playing now with the injuries? Transcribing these live is not easy. Have to remember everything saying when they go fast, no ability to repeat, some people can't speak up, sometimes microphone goes out.... and then there's always potential for someone on my end to disrupt it. LOL

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
There was a question about him. I didn't catch the question. Most likely about him playing now with the injuries? Transcribing these live is not easy. Have to remember everything saying when they go fast, no ability to repeat, some people can't speak up, sometimes microphone goes out.... and then there's always potential for someone on my end to disrupt it. LOL
VTD, no worries and thank you for recapping. I'm sure we'll here more about this as the weekend nears.

quickccc

Reaction score
-
Almost have to play Parsons at DE now with Randy and DLaw out.

Need Neal, LVE, Gifford etc…. To ALL step up at LBer on Sun.

If We take him away from the middle, there's no one else and makes us even far lesser and vulnerable in the middle.

- They were already using him in spots and packages as occasional edge blitzer - i don't think it's gonna change with Parsons imo,
there's no question he makes his mark most in the middle of action where he impacts more as a run stopper and middle blitzer,
while occasionally spotting up or coming off the edge as a rusher.

- Parsons has really had one huge game on the edge vs LA Chargers, and that had a lot to do with a subpar backup having to start

- Plus Playing him full time as a DE invites wear and tear toll vs 330 pound OTs
we have to smart how we spot and play him.

- Really we need Basham and Armstrong to be bigger factors,..

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
-

If We take him away from the middle, there's no one else and makes us even far lesser and vulnerable in the middle.

- They were already using him in spots and packages as occasional edge blitzer - i don't think it's gonna change with Parsons imo,
there's no question he makes his mark most in the middle of action where he impacts more as a run stopper and middle blitzer,
while occasionally spotting up or coming off the edge as a rusher.

- Parsons has really had one huge game on the edge vs LA Chargers, and that had a lot to do with a subpar backup having to start

- Plus Playing him full time as a DE invites wear and tear toll vs 330 pound OTs
we have to smart how we spot and play him.

- Really we need Basham and Armstrong to be bigger factors,..

If Armstrong and Basham can step up— that would be ideal

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Talk about your ringing endorsement. :(

Reactions: BAT

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
MM was clearly distraught over the news on Randy Gregory. Mounting injuries keep making his job harder and harder.