Mike Nolan history

fivetwos

Reaction score
The book on Nolan, IMO, is his performance early. Nolan lives by the blitz, in most seasons. He also dies by it, so to speak. When you run that kind of scheme, it's usually successful early but as time goes on, rival OCs figure it out and take advantage of it. I think what you will see is an early success for Nolan in Dallas but decline as time goes on.
I dont see why we will need to blitz all that much. We have some guys up front that can get home.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It's worth noting that Nolan had to deal with poor defensive personnel his last year in Atlanta. I think it's fair play to take that into serious consideration.
Not to mention these "rankings" are based only on yards allowed, which is pure crap.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I was watching the NFL Network a few days ago and David Carr mentioned how difficult it is to play against a Nolan defense as a QB. He said you think you see one thing but you’re actually getting something else entirely. He said he absolutely hated playing against a Nolan defense.

Pretty much the complete opposite of what we’ve been getting with Marinelli. It’s what we fans have asked for.

Im going to give Nolan and Edwards and Tomsula a chance with this group of players before I worry too much about what happened in Atlanta.

Im actually pretty excited about what the defense can do.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Why would we want to give a young, hungry, innovative coach a chance to do things his way. Just because the last time we did it Jimmy got us 3 rings is no reason no to keep retreading bums.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I was watching the NFL Network a few days ago and David Carr mentioned how difficult it is to play against a Nolan defense as a QB. He said you think you see one thing but you’re actually getting something else entirely. He said he absolutely hated playing against a Nolan defense.

Pretty much the complete opposite of what we’ve been getting with Marinelli. It’s what we fans have asked for.

Im going to give Nolan and Edwards and Tomsula a chance with this group of players before I worry too much about what happened in Atlanta.

Im actually pretty excited about what the defense can do.
Agreed, and how something like yards allowed with Atlanta years ago means anything I cant figure out.

fivetwos

Reaction score
That's Nolan, that's his scheme. We will be blitzing.
Cool if you're rushing 4-5 and disguising who those 4-5 are.

I'm excited about that....as @AsthmaField said....total opposite of what we are used to, which was pure frustration.

They should be able to get there with not sending six is the point.

fivetwos

Reaction score
WAS

was his scheme we have no idea what hes cooking up with these players..ill judge a coach on his current production not his past far too many factors for that..lets watch than judge..
I mean yeah...it IS hard to say its someone's "scheme" to blitz constantly.

You would think every DC would be more than happy to get pressure with 4, but if you dont, you need to dial up something else.

If the guys in Atlanta got no push but we can, you'll see different things. All comes down to that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
WAS

was his scheme we have no idea what hes cooking up with these players..ill judge a coach on his current production not his past far too many factors for that..lets watch than judge..

Well, I got 19 years of track record. What do you have that suggests he's changed his stripes?

But yeah, lets watch and see. I'll be here and I won't get lost. You try to do the same and we'll see how it plays out.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well, I got 19 years of track record. What do you have that suggests he's changed his stripes?

But yeah, lets watch and see. I'll be here and I won't get lost. You try to do the same and we'll see how it plays out.
his boss has something to say about that,,they have plan with this current roster..ill be happy to see more blitzes when needed nut i doubt he will be blitz happy

quickccc

Reaction score
I dont see why we will need to blitz all that much. We have some guys up front that can get home.

But that's the nature of a true pressurized defense.
It's not just gonna throw the front four at you with predictability, its' gonna come at you with exotic blitzes,
overloads, delays, stunts, LBs and DBs up the middle and off the edges, that's the late buddy ryan, and late Eagles' Jimmie Johnson,
Steve spags, Vic Fangio, etc.

quickccc

Reaction score
Not to mention these "rankings" are based only on yards allowed, which is pure crap.

yeh Saints and Packers were actually among the mid to bottom in yards allowed when they won their respective Super Bowls,...but they were also
at the very top of NFL ranks,.. when it came to creating opportunistic turnovers.

Do we have the player personnel ball hawks that can constantly get the turnovers ...??

Chuck 54

Reaction score
The book on Nolan, IMO, is his performance early. Nolan lives by the blitz, in most seasons. He also dies by it, so to speak. When you run that kind of scheme, it's usually successful early but as time goes on, rival OCs figure it out and take advantage of it. I think what you will see is an early success for Nolan in Dallas but decline as time goes on.
A smart DC blitzes young QBs and below average QBs, but he plays solid schemes with disguise and less blitzing vs the great, established QBs.

quickccc

Reaction score

- there's Pro and Cons of those high risk, gambling coaches just as there are
pro and cons about bend but don't break coaches as well .
but i don't think he's had a front seven with as much talent and resume credentials like this since his Ravens DC days.

- Providing the coaches with the weaponry and personnel they need is super key, and some teams
are capable of doing so, ..and some teams simply cannot...

- For a team that seemed to shy away and ignore " Middle- ground " impact players - this offseason they seem to
be finally getting it right, but also they are somehow able to put this together in a Money Ball strategy

- On paper getting FA talents like Griffen and Aldon to such a bargain price is looking pure genius as well. .
Sure it still also comes about the better coaches that know how to scheme and technically coach up players in
the proper places, roles and positions to be the best they can be.

plasticman

Reaction score
Whereas his father, Dick Nolan, helped turn an expansion franchise Dallas Cowboys into the #2 ranked defense for 2 years and never went below the #7 ranked defense as the defensive backfield coach and later as the defensive coordinator.

Based on that alone, I will give Mike Nolan one season to see what he can do.