Mike wanted to run the football. What really happened?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
How would O'Cyrus Torrence have helped during the 2023 season?

He would not have started the playoff game.
It's just a name to some. TJ Bass arguably had just as good production at the position as OCyrus did.

Reactions: CWR

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think he wanted to run the football. He had a plan. Then he had to abort plan when he saw the run blocking and the running backs. I commend him for it. Could've easily stuck with what wasn't working.

That being said....a few things I think need to happen.

Get a young RB in here. Draft a guy in the 3rd or 4th round. I think Rico is an asset.

Sign a vet for a cheap deal. RB market seems to be dry for RB's.....Barkley, Henry, Jacobs are out there. Jacobs probably offers the most with play and durability and age. But Barkley I'd really look into getting.

I assume Tyler is gone. Upgrade his position through the draft or get a solid vet in.

Steele needs to get back to form or move on. Because you can get that type of play from anyone off the street last season.
Hindsight is always 20/20, but would have rather reached and scored with a RB like Achane that went in the 3rd round rather reaching for Schoon in the 2nd.

Chasing6

Reaction score
All last offseason anytime a mike was put in his face he talked about running the football and eliminating the TO’s.

Fast forward to the first month of the season and the dink and dunk offense was born. It actually moved the ball ok, but we couldn’t score in the redzone for what seemed like a month.

After the SF game, things changed and he opened it up passing wise but the running game never did anything. From the SF game on Lamb was the most productive WR in football.

So what happened? We all saw the Oline was terrible at run blocking as backs would get hit in backfield repeatedly. They had this propensity to keep running off Center and off Guard all throughout the year.

How is it fixed? Get better Guards? We have two of the best in football. Get a new Oline coach? Change the run scheme? I was under the impression that was Schotty’s baby, and if it was he failed.

My point is we can’t expect to just bring in a new RB and do the same thing.

How can it be fixed?
We need Center that can hold their own and does not need help. For the most part we have had a dominate center when we have run then ball well.

I believe there is 2 maybe 3 in the draft. Most likely they will come off the board starting early second round.

I think this needs to be our number one priority in the draft. Trade back in the first round unless something unexpected falls to us. Then we would need to trade back up.

Last edited:

btgboys41

Reaction score
I don’t believe he wanted to run the football any more than they did. They found a way to scapegoat the end of season failure, by pointing at Moore. They needed a narrative since the offense was already lighting it up, so they said the run game. Dumbest message from this organization I’ve heard, and fans (mostly who wanted the blame on Dak deflected), bought it hook line and sinker.

The proof is in the results. It was either a lie, or just a big coaching failure, or both. In either of the cases, Mac should be fired.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I don’t believe he wanted to run the football any more than they did. They found a way to scapegoat the end of season failure, by pointing at Moore. They needed a narrative since the offense was already lighting it up, so they said the run game. Dumbest message from this organization I’ve heard, and fans (mostly who wanted the blame on Dak deflected), bought it hook line and sinker.

The proof is in the results. It was either a lie, or just a big coaching failure, or both. In either of the cases, Mac should be fired.
You could tell from the first two drives were committed to the run early.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Fix the O-line properly and most RB's would probably work fine. of course, getting a new RB would help too, but not if you don't fix the line. Problem is we have too many holes elsewhere too.
I agree to an extent. I think great running backs can get something out of nothing. I honestly haven’t seen a breakaway touchdown in years and I know those don’t happen as frequent as ESPN shows them but we seem to be allergic to it. Our big plays come from the pass.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Hindsight is always 20/20, but would have rather reached and scored with a RB like Achane that went in the 3rd round rather reaching for Schoon in the 2nd.
I agree. I would’ve too. Not sure if Achane fix our issues but I sure agree there. I would’ve never taken tight end even La Porta…just didn’t think we needed it. But I remember them liking Achane just not early I guess.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
All last offseason anytime a mike was put in his face he talked about running the football and eliminating the TO’s.

Fast forward to the first month of the season and the dink and dunk offense was born. It actually moved the ball ok, but we couldn’t score in the redzone for what seemed like a month.

After the SF game, things changed and he opened it up passing wise but the running game never did anything. From the SF game on Lamb was the most productive WR in football.

So what happened? We all saw the Oline was terrible at run blocking as backs would get hit in backfield repeatedly. They had this propensity to keep running off Center and off Guard all throughout the year.

How is it fixed? Get better Guards? We have two of the best in football. Get a new Oline coach? Change the run scheme? I was under the impression that was Schotty’s baby, and if it was he failed.

My point is we can’t expect to just bring in a new RB and do the same thing.

How can it be fixed?
New Center.

A very good center is much more important than very good guards.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Lol we drafted a hammer. ok sure we did.
A potential one. Guess we wouldn’t k ow because we never got him going. Like Deuce. He was never going to go anywhere with our O-Line and scheme.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
We need to upgrade the OL
and upgrade the OC's play calling and run designs.

So, in my mind, until they upgrade the OL and OC, we don't need a big-time RB. Hec, if you have a solid enough o-line and an effective OC who has a good feel for the game, any young RB could have a good season.

And by season's end, the Cowboys offense had moved away from run-game focused offense, and the offense was more effective. They really crapped the bed in the playoffs when they tried to return to a run-game early in that game, already down 7. It was silly to think that Pollard and the run game was EVER going to be the reason the Cowboys' offense would excel in the playoffs. It was always going to be on Dak shoulders, and by the time they put it all on Dak, the team was feeling too much pressure and desperation. Dak proceeded to stink it up, but the early playcalling was a contributing factor.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't see that as being hindsight.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree to an extent. I think great running backs can get something out of nothing. I honestly haven’t seen a breakaway touchdown in years and I know those don’t happen as frequent as ESPN shows them but we seem to be allergic to it. Our big plays come from the pass.
They've never happened all that often.

Bigrandrn

Reaction score
Need a new oline coach, the whole unit played worse, just looked different with the coaching change this season.