Mike Williams = Mikhael Ricks?

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Looking at the Yahoo! Fantasy Football advice, they had this to say about Mike Williams...

M. Williams (Det - WR) -- Say hello to the new Mikhael Ricks

OUCH! That's cold!

I heard that he's been less than spectacular in his NFL start, but Mikhael Ricks??? That's a low blow.

Anyway, I know a lot of people here wanted us to draft him... are you glad we didn't now? I kind of thought he may end up being a glorified tight end, and with comments like this, he may be on his way.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Danny White said:
Looking at the Yahoo! Fantasy Football advice, they had this to say about Mike Williams...

OUCH! That's cold!

I heard that he's been less than spectacular in his NFL start, but Mikhael Ricks??? That's a low blow.

Anyway, I know a lot of people here wanted us to draft him... are you glad we didn't now? I kind of thought he may end up being a glorified tight end, and with comments like this, he may be on his way.

Not fair to Ricks... he is from a small DI-AA school (Stephen F. Austin) and didn't have the name or team that Williams had...

Plus... Ricks is a TE... not a #1 WR prospect...

Uh-Oh

Reaction score
I expected more from this guy. That one year lay-off really killed him.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
trickblue said:
Plus... Ricks is a TE... not a #1 WR prospect...

I think that's the point of the quip.

Ricks WAS a wide receiver, and an intriguing prospect because of his size... but eventually got moved to TE because he couldn't cut it at wide out. I think they're saying that's where Williams is headed... which is what some critics were saying prior to the draft.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Joey Harrington and Jeff Garcia aren't lighting it up. Wide receiver is still a position that rarely has rookies come in perform at a very high level. The rookie seasons of Randy Moss and Anquan Boldin are rare. Mike Williams may take a little longer because he was out a year of football.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
The move to TE is inevitable. As Goose said, players don't get smaller as they get older, they only get bigger. Mike Williams was already weighing 230 lbs. at 21 years old. He'll weigh at least 245 by the time he's 25. I don't know about Michael Ricks, that might be overly harsh. But I could see him as a Randy McMichael type of TE. Nothing wrong with that, Randy McMichael is a good player ... but would you spend a Top 10 draft pick on Randy McMichael?

jay cee

Reaction score
I wonder what is causing him the most problems. Is it route running or inability to catch the ball?

He was never going to be the type of receiver to create a lot of seperation anyway.

I never really saw him in college, but from everything that I read about him, I thought he could be a bigger version of Keyshawn Johnson.

jay cee

Reaction score
jay cee said:
I wonder what is causing him the most problems. Is it route running or inability to catch the ball?

He was never going to be the type of receiver to create a lot of seperation anyway.

I never really saw him in college, but from everything that I read about him, I thought he could be a bigger version of Keyshawn Johnson.
I decided to look up Williams stats, and man I'm shocked. The guy is on a pace to catch 38 passes for about 450 yards. Talk about overeaction, a rookie WR, that is not setting the league on fire. I was expecting the guy to have about 10 receptions for 50 yards. Joseephus said it best, you rarely have WR's come out and perform like Boldin and Moss in their rookie years.

Williams is coming off a 1 year layoff, and it's not like the Lions have been getting stellar QB play this season. I would wait a couple of seasons into his career, before I would write him off.