Mike Zimmer vs. Brian Stewart

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2299939 said:
:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

People act as if we had Dware on the team while zimmer was hear.

We did, for two years.

Might want to declaw that nail from its board.

YAKUZA

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2299954 said:
But it's happened every year under Zimmer regardless of personnel. He goes to a 3-4 with Parcells, it happens. He goes to Atlanta and back to the 4-3 and it happens. Now he goes to Cincy and their ability to sack the QB gets worse.

Last year when he was in Atlanta he did an interview and point blank he said that "if you want to improve your defensive stats, you focus on the pass because most of the yards on defense come from the pass. But, I want to stop the run first and foremost."

In one year under Wade/Stewart, Dallas recorded 46 sacks which is the most for a Dallas team since 1994. The year before they recorded 34 sacks.

No matter what you think of Zimmer, his defenses won't sack the QB at a high rate. And no matter what you think of Wade, his defenses most likely will sack the QB at a high rate. Doesn't necessarily make them good or bad defenses if they can or cannot sack the QB, but that's a glaring difference in their style of defense.

YAKUZA

last year Wade said his #1 focus on D is stopping the run, in fact his Ds in San Diego nearly always ranked in the top 5 against the rush

Zimmer has coached some bad talent, he may not be the wizard like Wade Phillips is, but he's no slouch

he's never had a Bryce Paup or a Bruce Smith either, just Ware for 1 year when his boss only wanted him rushing 30% of the time and a hurt John Abraham for another

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
Clove;2299795 said:
:bang2: Parcells fired Zimmer, we still didn't do JACK with the defense after Zimm was gone.

We got our wish back then, but still no dominant defense. Now we still think we have the answer, but people refuse to blame the guy who created this defense and approves the calls.

Excuse me while I jump off a cliff now, and stop applauding. :D

I was never a fan of Zimmer. I need more time for a strong opinion on Stewart. I'd rather take my chances with Stewart. I'm sure Wade has a hand in this defense...and he's had success as a coordinator obviously.

Anyhow, Stew needs to take better advantage of our CB depth this season. Perhaps that means more man to man coverage and bumping. In the front 7 he needs to make sure people keep to their assignments and gaps, yet still play aggressively.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2299958 said:
We did, for two years.

Might want to declaw that nail from its board.

YAKUZA

I thought we got rid of him when we switched to 3-4. But it seems as if I was mistaken.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2299960 said:
last year Wade said his #1 focus on D is stopping the run, in fact his Ds in San Diego nearly always ranked in the top 5 against the rush

Wade may say that, but his focus has always been getting to the passer. He's usually blitzing the passer about 35% of the time which is pretty high in the NFL (last year we were at nearly 30%, which is still above average). Zimmer blitzes about 20% of the time.

I went through just about every big name defensive coach, be it a head coach and D-Coordinator over the years and the only coach that has averaged about as many sacks per season as Wade has with his defenses is Bill Cowher. In the past 21 seasons Wade has been a D-Coordinator or head coach, his defenses have averaged 44.5 sacks per season, which is phenomenal from a sacks perspective. Zimmer OTOH, ranks as one of the lowest.

In 2006 Dallas ranked 18th in pass attempts per sack ratio under Mike Zimmer. One year later, with only adding Ken Hamlin, the Cowboys ranked 5th in pass attempts per sack ratio under Wade/Stewart. And this year the Cowboys are doing better in pass attempts per sack ratio.

Zimmer has coached some bad talent, he may not be the wizard like Wade Phillips is, but he's no slouch

"Don't sell yourself short, judge...you're an incredible slouch." - Ty Webb

YAKUZA

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2299966 said:
I thought we got rid of him when we switched to 3-4. But it seems as if I was mistaken.

We switched to the 3-4 in 2005 and Zimmer was here up until last season.

YAKUZA

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2299977 said:
Wade may say that, but his focus has always been getting to the passer. He's usually blitzing the passer about 35% of the time which is pretty high in the NFL (last year we were at nearly 30%, which is still above average). Zimmer blitzes about 20% of the time.

I went through just about every big name defensive coach, be it a head coach and D-Coordinator over the years and the only coach that has averaged about as many sacks per season as Wade has with his defenses is Bill Cowher. In the past 21 seasons Wade has been a D-Coordinator or head coach, his defenses have averaged 44.5 sacks per season, which is phenomenal from a sacks perspective. Zimmer OTOH, ranks as one of the lowest.

In 2006 Dallas ranked 18th in pass attempts per sack ratio under Mike Zimmer. One year later, with only adding Ken Hamlin, the Cowboys ranked 5th in pass attempts per sack ratio under Wade/Stewart. And this year the Cowboys are doing better in pass attempts per sack ratio.

"Don't sell yourself short, judge...you're an incredible slouch." - Ty Webb

YAKUZA

:bow:

Brandon

Benched
Reaction score
Should we go back to the 4-3? Would Ware be as successful as a down linemen as well as Ellis or Spencer? Personally, I think we would be a much better team. Its easier to get 3-4 linemen opposed to effective 3-4 linebackers in my opinion, and you stop the run better with the 4-3, unless your the Baltimore Ravens.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2299977 said:

Nice post! I'm one of those who has been happy with Wade. Stewart, I've been giving benefit of the doubt, but really need more time to give a strong opinion on.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I remember Zimmer and his aweful D. For the love I God why is this guy still in this league? I'll take Brian Stewart over this bum.

The reason why his team was in the top 5 in rushing D consistently is because teams passed a lot against him. Also, we have to remember how badly we did when the other team was either 3rd and long or 4th and long. I don't think we stopped anyone when we really had to under a Zimmer defense.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
CowboyManDan;2299581 said:
This week Zimmer and Stewart will be facing each other as defensive coordinators. What do you expect to see from these defenses...

Stew better get the best of this battle!

Anybody here who thinks we'll have the better DC this Sunday had better think twice. Or thrice.

Never before has a DC done so little with so much.
I bet Jerra is thinking the same thing.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Future;2299749 said:
They have a better receiving core and you could argue that Carson is at least as good as Romo, might be the best pure passer in the league. This season, we have been better but the Bengals have talent on offense.

no they dont, and yeah you could argue Palmer is as good as Romo, but you'd be wrong.

2-3yrs ago, Palmer absolutely would have got my vote. Not anymore. Plus he isnt 100%.

The Bengals dont have anywhere near the talent we do on offense, at any position. CJ is nowhere near 100% and has made zero impact. Hoozeyourmama makes a ton of catches, but gives you absolutely zero after the catch and zero big plays. They have no TE that even remotely compares to Witten. Our 3rd string Rb is arguably better than their starter, never mind Barber and Jones. And the OL isnt close either.

The Bengals used to be a great offensive team. Today they are at the bottom of the league in virtually every offensive category. There is absolutely ZERO excuse for us to win this game by less than 2 tds IMO.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2299916 said:
One defense blitzes the other doesn't. According to Todd Archer, Dallas blitzed roughtly 45% of the time against Washington. Zimmer is up to his old tricks again as the Bengals rank last in sacks and pass attempts/sack ratio. The Bengals are currently dead last with 87 pass attempts per 1 sack. The nearest team to that are the Chiefs who are way better at 38 pass attempts per 1 sack. The "we don't blitz" and "we don't get to the QB" is a bunch of bunk, particularly when compared to Zimmer whom I'm not sure why he still has a job as a D-Coordinator in the league.

Same thing happened with Zimmer in Atlanta last yr...bottom of the league in turnovers, sacks, etc etc...wherever he goes, mediocrity and incredibly vanilla schemes will follow.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
We know what Zimmer will bring. He's used to playing with little talent from his years in Dallas. And he knows how to bend bend bend, drive you crazy bending, but not give up too many points.

I don't expect our offense to get the easy TD's we got against Cleveland or Philly...I think our Genius and our offense has to be patient and stay away from drive ending penalties. This will be a game to run, run, run, and complete short passes underneath. But I don't see our offense scoring 30 unless the defense gets some turnovers.

On defense, I think it's time for our guys to hold another team to fewer than 20.

I'm predicting a game we win 27-17 with Palmer. 27-10 without.

It's not important to winning, but man, I'd love to see our defense pitch a shutout sometime before the season is over.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Wade Phillips is the real defensive coordinator. Do you guys really believe Brian Stewart is calling all the defensive calls out there? Phillips doesn't need to hold a card to call a game. His fingerprints are all over the gameplan and the calls. The defense is his "life" in regards to his job.