CFZ Mike Zimmer's ability to develop players may be crucial for defense

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Quinn’s philosophy of using smaller guys at LB and putting most of the emphasis on pass rush and TOs made this team extremely vulnerable to the teams that could run the ball and were just more physical. I’m hoping Zim brings back something this team has lacked for far too long: physical toughness.
Then you better have safeties that can play vs pass, it all has to work together works together, healthy DBs that can play man allows for dedicated support vs run.

I'm with you and old school when it comes to having thumpers at LB, but Q was on the right track with drafting players like DO, just a little late and unfortunate injuries curtailed that plan.

A healthy DO and how much impact he can have will be Qs ultimate vision revealed going forward, and Bell was never going to succeed in that role.

Qs downfall was due to short comings with personal, players on deck.

Sure he probably had a say and some voice in drafting, but not as much leverage as many are saying and blaming.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
If anybody on the staff can fix Mazi, they deserve a raise and extension. Because Mazi is lost. Even the talking head homers on Cowboy media have major doubts about him. Hoping, but will need to see it to believe it.
Yea, not sure how they "fix" something where his bulk was affecting his health.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes because much like Mazi, they hadn’t developed before he got there. That’s kind of the point here, lol.
Isn't the point of drafting players in the 1st round because you think they have the best chance to be good in the NFL?

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
So when we pull out the GROZ banner???
I just can't believe people want to do this to themselves again. Trying to rationalize a comfort hire from the 5-11 ear who never got anything of note done in over 20 years. He's not going to develop players, and he's not going to do anything "crucial" for the Cowboys as he isn't capable. We would've seen it by now.

Rayman70

Reaction score
We need to upgrade the linebackers coach. Lets start there. Minnesota never did much with Zimmer there. Maybe he will be much better just being a D coord. I think Zimmer won't be hands on as we been told. I see him delegating. I think thats why we seen the staff hires we been seeing. Guys that are well respected and established in the league.Its not what folks wanna hear, but its the truth. Zim is 67, and I aint sure how much hands on he has left in him. Thats why I wanted a guy like Vrabel. Hes younger and played the game, had some success in Tennessee. Zimmer gonna have to pull a rabbit outta his arse to coach guys up and develop them. That means we better be smart drafting, and if we sign a free agent or 2. Id like to get rid of Clark. Hes trash. Not sure if it was the system DQ had him in, or if he regressed that much. Either way, we need to get better. He plays soft. Maybe Micah knows that just going by his comments about wanting linebackers that play downhill. Clark isn't that. Thats why I want Micah back at linebacker. I think hes the answer. Which is why we drafted him. I think we lose sight of that fact. Micah needs to look in the mirror. If we are to get better, we need a generational type draft. Gotta hit on every pick. No more feel good draft picks. Draft some dogs that can play with high football IQ and nastiness.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Isn't the point of drafting players in the 1st round because you think they have the best chance to be good in the NFL?
Of course. I agree. But not all 1st or 2nd round picks have instant success. I was just pointing out that IF you have a first round pick who did not have a good first year, as was the case with Mazi Smith, it’s good to know we have a DC who has shown an ability to develop several players to their potential.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just can't believe people want to do this to themselves again. Trying to rationalize a comfort hire from the 5-11 ear who never got anything of note done in over 20 years. He's not going to develop players, and he's not going to do anything "crucial" for the Cowboys as he isn't capable. We would've seen it by now.
I completely understand your feelings about hiring a guy who is from the past. I wasn’t thrilled about his hire either.. But his past isn’t all the Campo years. Remember Zimmer was here as the DB coach in the mid 90s and has a SB ring from the Cowboys SB XXX win over Pittsburg.

Motorola

Reaction score
Huh???

They will have 7 picks as usual.
No 4th rounder sir
As of now, the Cowboys have five definitive picks in the 2024 draft-
• Rounds 1,2,3 and two in round 7.
Also, it is expected the team will receive two compensatory picks for FAs that signed with other teams, i.e. Dalton Schultz and Noah Brown to the Texans.
So the total will wind up being seven selections.

75boyz

Reaction score
I think a weight gain and development plan is needed.
Taco Smith needs to re-gain weight while also getting off the ball faster even as a 1T.
Overshown could use 15 pounds in his *** while not losing speed.

So if Zimmer could somehow pull off those 2 things that would be a good start.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The was he was handled makes no sense to me. You want a big run stuffing DT, but then ask him to lose all that weight?

It just doesn't seem like the Cowboys had a plan after the draft. Mixed signals were sent this year.
Why are we drafting a true 1 tech and trying to biologically turn him into a 3 tech, let us all remember Mazi was our first selection and we made him drop 40 lbs, please just think about this for a moment.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think a weight gain and development plan is needed.
Taco Smith needs to re-gain weight while also getting off the ball faster even as a 1T.
Overshown could use 15 pounds in his *** while not losing speed.

So if Zimmer could somehow pull off those 2 things that would be a good start.
It should seem that simple.
Mazi losing 40 is like the average around here losing around 10.
So lets start there as a baseline and just for starters tell me you haven't lost strength as much as weight.

Aven8

Reaction score
Why are we drafting a true 1 tech and trying to biologically turn him into a 3 tech, let us all remember Mazi was our first selection and we made him drop 40 lbs, please just think about this for a moment.
Very dumb. He also played a different technique in college as well and they tried to screw that up here. He’s supposedly an athletic freak. Let the kid do what he does best.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Hoping Zimmer can coach up Mazi ball Smith, get back that weight....make Diggs and Bland play more consistent instead of a lot of hit or miss.., and light a fire under MP especially towards the tail end of the season and into hopefully playoffs. He gets bored and tired by that time, kind of just like the rest of the defense apparently. Plus get himself another DT run stuffer and two tough LBs.... other than all that....Easy Peasy.....Lemon Squeezy... :dance:
Gets bored because he's just so good during the season (end sarcasm!) lol, but yes Diggs and Bland as good as they can be, they let go some plays for this defense, it's hard to watch

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Very dumb. He also played a different technique in college as well and they tried to screw that up here. He’s supposedly an athletic freak. Let the kid do what he does best.
welcome to dallas if you want your career tweaked!

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yet another Head Shaker, but now we are moving beyond 2nd round prospects to experiment with.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As of now, the Cowboys have five definitive picks in the 2024 draft-
• Rounds 1,2,3 and two in round 7.
Also, it is expected the team will receive two compensatory picks for FAs that signed with other teams, i.e. Dalton Schultz and Noah Brown to the Texans.
So the total will wind up being seven selections.
McGovern last I seen gets us a 5th, and Schultz gets us a 6th. Brown was close to getting us a 7th, but was like #35 on the list. They only give out 32.
Now these can change and final contracts change due to incentives.

our 4th to SF for Lance, our 6th to KC as they traded up for Eric Scott. We get a 7th from Vegas for Hankins, as they got our 6th last year.
I can't remember who gets our 5th, maybe that was for Scott, and leaves who has our 6th.

I usually have it all in a spread sheet. But for some reason I am missing that part.

Ok, our 6th goes to either Texans or Colts, involving the trade of Cooks and Gilmore. Not sure which team gets the pick. I believe it is the Colts.

Last edited:

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Whatever you think about Mazi, this team didn‘t do him any favors asking him to lose all that weight. Smith is a NT and that’s how he should be developed. Trying to make this kid what clearly he is not was a huge mistake.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Whatever you think about Mazi, this team didn‘t do him any favors asking him to lose all that weight. Smith is a NT and that’s how he should be developed. Trying to make this kid what clearly he is not was a huge mistake.
This could be true but you need to make sure you remember who asked him to do that well I say that 75% of our defensive staff is gone someone in that group were the ones that made that decision... Hopefully the new staff can see the error of their ways and hopefully get him back on track..

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Of course. I agree. But not all 1st or 2nd round picks have instant success. I was just pointing out that IF you have a first round pick who did not have a good first year, as was the case with Mazi Smith, it’s good to know we have a DC who has shown an ability to develop several players to their potential.
I'm just saying I give way more credit to coaches who develop a late round guy than a 1st round pick. And then there's the question of who gets the credit for guys like bland? Al harris or quin. If we say quin then wouldn't we think that's a much better example of developing a player. Just my thought.