CFZ Mike Zimmer's defensive philosophy gives us a better chance

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don’t get me wrong - Dan Quinn was a huge upgrade as DC here from the days of Mike Nolan and Rod Marinelli. Quinn’s style produced great turnover and sack numbers and our defense became synonymous with that. The problem was his style worked as long as we were comfortably ahead. When Quinn’s D had to stop the run - a must when your team is behind, we couldn’t do it.

Last year the Cowboys were 10-0 when scoring first and 2-6 (including the playoffs) when the opponents scored first. Quinn was forced last year to play S Marquese Bell as a 210 LB and teams like Buffalo and GB just trucked us in the run game.

Mike Zimmer’s defensive philosophy is pretty straight-forward: Stop the run with a physical DL that can tie up the opponents OL and off of the LBs who are freer to make tackles. The secondary takes less chances. A big IF here: If our FO can provide a better interior DL, this defense could be much better in the next two years. That’s a big IF.

Here‘s what I think will be better under Zim:
  • If Mazi, Osa, and the newly acquired Jordan Phillips can do what Zimmer wants, we should be better against the run. (Another IF)
  • From what I’ve seen, Zim is planning to use Micah Parsons as more than just a pass rusher. I think this is good. Parsons is a special talent and I felt Parsons was being worn down the way Quinn always used him. We should see Parsons being used in multiple ways.
  • Even though I expect less interceptions than we’ve had under Quinn, I also expect better overall coverage under Zimmer.
As I stated several times, there are HUGE IFS. And we must also remember that with Zimmer and the entire coaching staff on one year contracts, if this team doesn’t make the playoffs, it may mean this new defensive philosophy is not given enough time to develop. Time will tell.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed and the Cowboys will stop the run better this year because of the upgraded LB corp. There is a massive difference since the GB game.
Hope so. There is certainly a philosophical change. The critical change will also have to be upgrading our mediocre (at best) interior DL. If the guys we are counting on aren’t better, our defense won’t be either.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Don’t get me wrong - Dan Quinn was a huge upgrade as DC here from the days of Mike Nolan and Rod Marinelli. Quinn’s style produced great turnover and sack numbers and our defense became synonymous with that. The problem was his style worked as long as we were comfortably ahead. When Quinn’s D had to stop the run - a must when your team is behind, we couldn’t do it.

Last year the Cowboys were 10-0 when scoring first and 2-6 (including the playoffs) when the opponents scored first. Quinn was forced last year to play S Marquese Bell as a 210 LB and teams like Buffalo and GB just trucked us in the run game.

Mike Zimmer’s defensive philosophy is pretty straight-forward: Stop the run with a physical DL that can tie up the opponents OL and off of the LBs who are freer to make tackles. The secondary takes less chances. A big IF here: If our FO can provide a better interior DL, this defense could be much better in the next two years. That’s a big IF.

• If Mazi, Osa, and the newly acquired Jordan Phillips can do what Zimmer wants, we should be better against the run. (Another IF)
  • From what I’ve seen, Zim is planning to use Micah Parsons as more than just a pass rusher. I think this is good. Parsons is a special talent and I felt Parsons was being worn down the way Quinn always used him. We should see Parsons being used in multiple ways.
  • Even though I expect less interceptions than we’ve had under Quinn, I also expect better overall coverage under Zimmer.
As I stated several times, there are HUGE IFS. And we must also remember that with Zimmer and the entire coaching staff on one year contracts, if this team doesn’t make the playoffs, it may mean this new defensive philosophy is not given enough time to develop. Time will tell.
Your post is infused with a lot of Hopium Bob, but we will find out soon enough. I have a lot less concerns surrounding the defensive side of the ball. Lots more distraction and unknown on the other side.

AstroPilota

Reaction score
Agreed. we now have linebackers playing LB and the safeties will now play S. Our guys were just plain physically undermanned before. This might be the best LB group we've had in years. Absolutely the best secondary we've had in many years. DL is somewhat suspect, but let's see if the new scheme can make that group at least be serviceable.

John813

Reaction score
If our FO can provide a better interior DL, this defense could be much better in the next two years.

Osa will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year.
To be determined on Mazi.

Just stinks that even if Osa hits that next level we may have to restart there, and the 1 tech isn't set in stone either.
could be longer than 2 years, and at that point Zimmer could be out, again.

slick325

Reaction score
Definitely want the run defense improved and believe Zimmer's philosophy will make that happen. But, I hope the pass rush is still disruptive and getting home. The corners are natural playmakers/ball hawks. They will make plays...IF Zimmer can generate a pass rush.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Yeah this is one I've been back and forth on all offseason and will probably wait to see how Zim uses these guys before truly forming a hard opinion here. In addition to the three points you've already made Bob I think the big thing for this team is how often is Zim going to be forced to bring the blitz to get pressure? The last couple of years under DQ the Cowboys ran a ton of rush 4, create havoc with stunts and he liked a well timed blitz better than a high frequency blitz. This allowed him to let his corners play aggressive on the outside while still keeping resources deep to prevent the big play.

If the Cowboys can create consistent pressure with 4 again this season I think Zimmer will be just fine and will be able to mix up his coverages allowing these guys to continue to be aggressive playing the ball which is what Diggs/Bland do best. If they have to bring extra guys to get to the QB though I see Zim using our top cover guys more conservative.

Zimmer made a career out of showing blitz and not coming all that often, I just hope he has the horses to make it work past Micah and OSA. Need someone on the EDGE to step up and be that guy.

Creeper

Reaction score
I was never 100% bought in to the Dan Quinn defense narrative. IMO, the Cowboys defense got better because of the addition of Micah Parsons, not Dan Quinn. Take Parsons out of Quinn's defense and the defense would be ordinary.

I always liked Zimmer as a DC. He had some pretty good defenses with not many pro-bowl players at times in the past with Dallas. But I question if he has the player yet to make his defense work in Dallas.

For me, it is more about the players than the scheme or the coaches anyway. It is hard for any defense to be successful if the DL is not stout in the middle.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Exactly

it might not be as exciting to watch but I prefer to have more steady consistent play everybody knows their assignments and it makes it less complicated,

sometimes I wonder how much all those big plays happening around the rest of this team made other guys want to play hero ball, because they felt like they were missing out you know not being in position to do their own assignments and looking to go get the ball.. The one thing I hope is that Zimmer has enough authority to go to a guy like Parsons and take his helmet because so many games and this is the hero ball thing I'm talking about where the game was out of range we either were up big or down big and instead of pulling himself out or getting pulled out to rest for the next game he physically even when he was banged up is in there when he shouldn't try to get that sack trying to set the sack record and I think that's a bad look on your defensive coordinator for not having the authority and control over your players enough to pull them out send them down and saying you're out until the next game...

When a guy like tank says he's tired and he probably shouldn't have said it it's kind of like when awuzie or whoever it was said that they don't always give 100% because the play is not on their side etcand blah blah blah

even if it's true you're not supposed to say it, but I'm wondering how many games they could have pulled the starters and didn't because they were looking for more stats...players we're possibly taking on the persona of the the defensive coordinator and just seemed to only worry about running up the stats even in games they probably could have rested for five more minutes.. Seems to me that Prescott got pulled a lot Mike McCarthy pulled the offensive players enough when they were up big or when the game was out of reach I don't see Dan Quinn doing that Parsons is on the field far too long IMHO

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your post is infused with a lot of Hopium Bob, but we will find out soon enough. I have a lot less concerns surrounding the defensive side of the ball. Lots more distraction and unknown on the other side.
You have to have Hopium this time of year. There are new pieces and a new defense philosophy. Let's hopium that does the trick

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We'll see, I hope so.

But It's all about (points allowed) to me.
Nolan 2020. (28th)
Quinn 2021 (8th)
Quinn 2022 (6th)
Quinn 2023 (9th)
Zimmer has been handed a 1st class back seven all he needs is a stuffer.
I expect a lot.
And don't get me wrong, I like Zimmer.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Zimmer is a good, solid, coach and I like his old-school and disciplined nature, but he's not some transcendent difference-maker.

I think it's like most believe: we'll give up fewer big plays and play the run better, but probably get fewer sacks and flashy plays.

I doubt the end result is a lot different. Which is fine, because Quinn was a good coach also. But I don't expect a huge jump forward.

Roland

Reaction score
I like our approach to try and improve our run D and I expect a bit of mixed results. We should be more stout against the run but we may lose some in the turn over category. Hopefully if evens out. To me, the biggest question is did we do enough with DT's to make Zims defense succeed

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
We'll see, I hope so.

Nolan 2020. (28th)
Quinn 2021 (8th)
Quinn 2022 (6th)
Quinn 2023 (9th)
I expect a lot.
Agree. Ultimately there are some situational things that will look different but the overall results likely wont be much better, there simply isnt much room for improvement after an 18.5ppg given up last season. You would really just hope that they wouldnt implode in the playoffs again.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I agree and I am also cautiously optimistic that the improved ‘soundness’ of Zimmer’s defense may prove to be a big boost overall for the team.

If they can pair that with a better, more physical, and more consistent running game, they may have something.

One concern I do have is their ability to generate a pass rush outside of Parsons.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nolan 2020. (28th)
Quinn 2021 (8th)
Quinn 2022 (6th)
Quinn 2023 (9th)
I expect a lot.
Solid post!