CFZ Mike Zimmer's defensive philosophy gives us a better chance

Verdict

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong - Dan Quinn was a huge upgrade as DC here from the days of Mike Nolan and Rod Marinelli. Quinn’s style produced great turnover and sack numbers and our defense became synonymous with that. The problem was his style worked as long as we were comfortably ahead. When Quinn’s D had to stop the run - a must when your team is behind, we couldn’t do it.

Last year the Cowboys were 10-0 when scoring first and 2-6 (including the playoffs) when the opponents scored first. Quinn was forced last year to play S Marquese Bell as a 210 LB and teams like Buffalo and GB just trucked us in the run game.

Mike Zimmer’s defensive philosophy is pretty straight-forward: Stop the run with a physical DL that can tie up the opponents OL and off of the LBs who are freer to make tackles. The secondary takes less chances. A big IF here: If our FO can provide a better interior DL, this defense could be much better in the next two years. That’s a big IF.

Here‘s what I think will be better under Zim:
  • If Mazi, Osa, and the newly acquired Jordan Phillips can do what Zimmer wants, we should be better against the run. (Another IF)
  • From what I’ve seen, Zim is planning to use Micah Parsons as more than just a pass rusher. I think this is good. Parsons is a special talent and I felt Parsons was being worn down the way Quinn always used him. We should see Parsons being used in multiple ways.
  • Even though I expect less interceptions than we’ve had under Quinn, I also expect better overall coverage under Zimmer.
As I stated several times, there are HUGE IFS. And we must also remember that with Zimmer and the entire coaching staff on one year contracts, if this team doesn’t make the playoffs, it may mean this new defensive philosophy is not given enough time to develop. Time will tell.
I tend to agree with your theory. I want to agree with your theory. I think that your positive comments regarding Zimmer are accurate. Then I want to take that leap of faith and say that because Zimmer defenses are sound that in the end we will be better defensively than last year under DQ.

While I tend to believe that in certain respects we will be better under Zimmer, I also remember the GROZ years. Zimmer was viewed as unimaginative and far too rigid in his schemes and many were ready to run him out of here on a rail.

I think both schools of thought are right. I would rather Jerry and Co hired some new blood rather than wash, rinse and repeat of Zimmer. But hey, we will get what we get and like it, I guess.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This is simply not true. Great defenses STILL matter. I agree with you offense is huge in today’s NFL. Yes Mahomes is pure greatness but the chiefs don’t win last year’s SB without their excellent defense. That defense was the second ranked defense in the NFL last year. Below are some specifics.

Last year’s AFC championship is a good example. That was a road game for the chiefs at Balt, and Mahomes and the chiefs offense had a so-so game only producing 17 points. But their defense held the ravens to only 10 points. The ravens had averaged 32 points a game at home in 2023 and yet they only scored 10 against the KC defense.

And then last year’s SB vs the niners - the chiefs had 5 offensive possessions in the first half - punt, punt, fumble, punt and FG. But the niners were held to 10 points in the first half by the chiefs defense or that game would have been lost. The chiefs defense kept them in the game until Mahomes and the offense could get 22 points in the second half.

The Brady-led Bucs that won the SB in 2020 would not have won that SB without their D. Evidence? How about the NFC championship game vs the packers that year. Brady had a bad game. He threw 3 interceptions, 2 of them in Bucs territory. But the Bucs defense held the pack with no points after two of those pics. The SB game that followed, that Bucs defense held Mahomes to 9 points and completely frustrated him.

Brady is the GOAT but even he said they don’t win that championship without that defense. Defense STILL matters.

We play incredible defense when the offense is performing.

Our takeaways are ridiculous.

It’s an offensive league now and the Chiefs defense looks better than what it is because their offense is terrifying to deal with
The chiefs offense in 6 qtrs - The full AFC championship game and the first half against the niners in the SB scored 20 points. In those same 6 quarters had their defense not been great they would not have won the SB.

Yes the chiefs offense is great. But even the greatest offenses have bad games…in the playoffs too, Then what? Better have a great defense too.

When your offense is a threat like the Chiefs it causes teams to be more aggressive and make mistakes because games get away quick.

Its the same thing with our defense.

If Dallas gets a lead our defense crushes opponents.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It’s an offensive league now and the Chiefs defense looks better than what it is because their offense is terrifying to deal with

When your offense is a threat like the Chiefs it causes teams to be more aggressive and make mistakes because games get away quick.

But what happens when your offense isn’t great and your defense isn’t getting TOs? Answer: We don’t win playoff games or beat the better teams in the regular season.

You’re right that when the Cowboys scored first last year we were 10-0. Problem was, when the opponents scored first we were 2-6 including our embarrassing playoff loss. Because our defense was only “dominant” when we were ahead, and mostly against bad to mediocre teams.

Having at least a good defense is most important in the playoffs when every team is good unlike the regular season,

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
But what happens when your offense isn’t great and your defense isn’t getting TOs? Answer: We don’t win playoff games or beat the better teams in the regular season.

You’re right that when the Cowboys scored first last year we were 10-0. Problem was, when the opponents scored first we were 2-6 including our embarrassing playoff loss. Because our defense was only “dominant” when we were ahead, and mostly against bad to mediocre teams.

Having at least a good defense is most important in the playoffs when every team is good unlike the regular season,

We’ve had very good defenses.

It doesn’t matter when our offense does nothing.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Don’t get me wrong - Dan Quinn was a huge upgrade as DC here from the days of Mike Nolan and Rod Marinelli. Quinn’s style produced great turnover and sack numbers and our defense became synonymous with that. The problem was his style worked as long as we were comfortably ahead. When Quinn’s D had to stop the run - a must when your team is behind, we couldn’t do it.

Last year the Cowboys were 10-0 when scoring first and 2-6 (including the playoffs) when the opponents scored first. Quinn was forced last year to play S Marquese Bell as a 210 LB and teams like Buffalo and GB just trucked us in the run game.

Mike Zimmer’s defensive philosophy is pretty straight-forward: Stop the run with a physical DL that can tie up the opponents OL and off of the LBs who are freer to make tackles. The secondary takes less chances. A big IF here: If our FO can provide a better interior DL, this defense could be much better in the next two years. That’s a big IF.

• If Mazi, Osa, and the newly acquired Jordan Phillips can do what Zimmer wants, we should be better against the run. (Another IF)
  • From what I’ve seen, Zim is planning to use Micah Parsons as more than just a pass rusher. I think this is good. Parsons is a special talent and I felt Parsons was being worn down the way Quinn always used him. We should see Parsons being used in multiple ways.
  • Even though I expect less interceptions than we’ve had under Quinn, I also expect better overall coverage under Zimmer.
As I stated several times, there are HUGE IFS. And we must also remember that with Zimmer and the entire coaching staff on one year contracts, if this team doesn’t make the playoffs, it may mean this new defensive philosophy is not given enough time to develop. Time will tell.
Great post Bob. Not sure if Quinn was a huge upgrade over Nolan and Marinelli because he’s defensive philosophy wasn’t sound. Turnovers are great and it helped the team win 12 games per year but when it comes to games against fundamentally sound teams who can run the ball and pass the ball, it falls apart. So I think they were all equally bad IMO.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We'll see, I hope so.

But It's all about (points allowed) to me.
Nolan 2020. (28th)
Quinn 2021 (8th)
Quinn 2022 (6th)
Quinn 2023 (9th)
Zimmer has been handed a 1st class back seven all he needs is a stuffer.
I expect a lot.
And don't get me wrong, I like Zimmer.
I’d like to see the playoff records of those DC’s.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Zimmer will certainly give you less sacks and turnovers, and you will get a worse run defense.

People are going to miss DQ real quick is my prediction.
Maybe you hope for that, but I’ll never miss DQ as a DC. Stats is all he cares about. Look what it’s got him.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
our defense was top 5. We created more turnovers and had so many sacks... we cant possibly expect more from a defense. They literally won games by themselves.

Yea, Im well aware, they stunk in some big games.... but so did the offense.
The struggled in all the big games because they just couldn’t stop the run.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
Zimmer is a good, solid, coach and I like his old-school and disciplined nature, but he's not some transcendent difference-maker.

I think it's like most believe: we'll give up fewer big plays and play the run better, but probably get fewer sacks and flashy plays.

I doubt the end result is a lot different. Which is fine, because Quinn was a good coach also. But I don't expect a huge jump forward.
Sound and reasonable response right here.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I was not a fan of Zimmer his first go around in Dallas and suspect I will feel the same when he is gone.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Agreed and the Cowboys will stop the run better this year because of the upgraded LB corp. There is a massive difference since the GB game.
A cast off FA and an injury prone 2nd year player with no regular season game experience. That’s an upgrade? A “massive difference”? Massive? That’s it? What about the plethora of cast off defensive linemen the Cowboys are parading through the facility. Certainly there are a few “run stoppers” in that group of future Hall of Famers. So you mean massive massive difference. Not just massive difference. Hater.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

We have a speed defense built to play with a lead and attack the QB. That's why we are light in the pants at LB and DT. We are not built to play square up against offenses that can score and pound the ball. When our offense craps the bed, and we face a qb that doesn't turn the ball over we are in big trouble. It's been that way for, well, a long time.

rambo2

Reaction score

Having a stable of linebackers will give them a defense that is better against the run.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
DQ is the biggest fraud in the league.
I woudnt go that much, his defensive philosophy , play small and fast and with a lead it will work , pin your ears and attack while DBs make plays on ball.

But if a physical wear down Offense is against it and they are trailing , they can be run on and starts to wear down fast, also it seems that he is clueless when his plans dont work ,( prime example is pats SB comeback from 23-6 down )

CCBoy

Reaction score
Hope so. There is certainly a philosophical change. The critical change will also have to be upgrading our mediocre (at best) interior DL. If the guys we are counting on aren’t better, our defense won’t be either.
Bell being replaced by Overshown will help both ends.

Team depths have improved a whole lot right now. It is strong at both linebackers and secondary.

Throw in the defensive line:

Phillips will likely rotate with 2022 first-round pick Mazi Smith, and play next to other defensive tackles such as Osa Odighizuwa and perhaps Chauncey Golston, who also plays defensive end.

DE Carl Lawson now along with Parsons, Lawrence, and Kneel and look significant as well.