Mike's guarantee

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
On a day someone at CZ compared Dak to Rogers, now we get a Fat Mac/Tom Landry. LOL

I'm not comparing Mike to Tom persay. I'm just saying that there's nothing wrong with a coach guaranteeing a win when he knows his team outclasses the opponent. That's the point of what I was saying. Naturally, you wouldn't be able to see the bigger picture or think outside the box.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I'm not comparing Mike to Tom persay. I'm just saying that there's nothing wrong with a coach guaranteeing a win when he knows his team outclasses the opponent. That's the point of what I was saying. Naturally, you wouldn't be able to see the bigger picture or think outside the box.

Per se, I am not an outside-the-box thinker.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
On which plaent do the words "We're going to win this game, I am confident in that"...mean I guarantee we will win this game? A guarantee is a promise something is going to win. He said no such thing, lol. Am I missing something of a guarantee or just semantics?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tell that to Tom Landry. I saw a YouTube show where, I think it was 1976, the Cowboys were really cocky going into a game against the Giants, and the team was completely at lax (The channel I was watching was JaguarGator9 I think) where they apparently were so cocky they didn't practice much just expecting to show up and win...and they did win.

Located it! It was 1977:

The 77' cowboys won the super bowl and were loaded with HOF players. Games were easier to predict 40 years ago b/c teams were basically the same from year to year. If you were 2-14 in 1976, there was no quick way to turn the franchise around. Conversely, once you were good and the talent stacked, you were on top of the mountain for a while. The 70's were dominated by 3 franchises who were able to put the same group of HOFers and pro bowlers on the field every year. Landry was not cocky. He just stated a fact.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Big Mike showing confidence in his team, I see no issue with it and regardless if he says it to the media or not I think he should expect his team to win. When I see some here who have 0 faith in this team complaining I have to ask why the Cowboys have already surpassed your losing prediction at the start of the season. As for message board talk, once the ball is kicked off and the game starts all that talk during the week means nothing

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
What guarantee? He simply said he was confident Dallas would win. The lying media tried to build it up stating he said "guarantee".

Aven8

Reaction score
Getting back Greg’s and Gally and a great first week by Dlaw will do that for your confidence. Plus when you have Parsons anything is possible

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
When Mike made the guarantee last week, I was nervous because I don't think I've seen us back up a guarantee like what Mike did. I remember in 2011 where Rob Ryan trash talked the Eagles in the off-season, and we proceeded to get pasted badly the first game we played. The fact that Mike made the guarantee AND the team backed it up is incredible to me. I know it seems minor, but it's significant to me because it shows that this team is talented enough to back up trash talk.
*the defense backed it up

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The 77' cowboys won the super bowl and were loaded with HOF players. Games were easier to predict 40 years ago b/c teams were basically the same from year to year. If you were 2-14 in 1976, there was no quick way to turn the franchise around. Conversely, once you were good and the talent stacked, you were on top of the mountain for a while. The 70's were dominated by 3 franchises who were able to put the same group of HOFers and pro bowlers on the field every year. Landry was not cocky. He just stated a fact.

Ah, that would help explain their attitude going into that game.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
What guarantee? He simply said he was confident Dallas would win. The lying media tried to build it up stating he said "guarantee".

Oooh. Still, the fact the team, even if it was the media taking Mike's words out of context, was able to overcome a massive target on their backs and win is something that I don't think they'd do under Garrett.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
Which makes it more impressive in my view because of how bad our defence had been since Wade Phillips.
Man I'm glad they did it. I'm a fan of most of our guys on that side of the ball. They got that dirty dozen type attitude going on and I dig it. I want them to keep thumbing their noses at everyone.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Man I'm glad they did it. I'm a fan of most of our guys on that side of the ball. They got that dirty dozen type attitude going on and I dig it. I want them to keep thumbing their noses at everyone.

I agree. And this defence isn't even close to sniffing their potential. I'm loving what Quinn is doing on that side of the ball.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
I agree. And this defence isn't even close to sniffing their potential. I'm loving what Quinn is doing on that side of the ball.
Gallimore and Gregory coming back gave them the shot in the arm that everyone hoped they would and maybe they can get an '07 gnats run going. Fingers crossed.