MM explains his thought process of going for 2

Haimerej

Reaction score
I thought he should have kicked the extra point. I think having an 8pt lead would have put more pressure on ATL versus a 9 point lead. But in the end if you don't get the 2pt conversion you're still kicking an onside kick.

That's why I don't get the whole clock argument. You need that 2 pointer at some point and you shouldn't just bank on getting it.

conner01

Reaction score
It makes it a one possession game assuming that you can make a 2 point conversion on the next TD. I don't understand why this part seems to be missing from the conversation. There is no scenario where we don't have to make 2 point conversion.
I get that
But your odds of converting don’t change
You have the same odds of converting the first or the second
I believe they are about 50/50 of converting
But to score twice required and almost always would require the onside kick
The odds of converting an onside kick are extremely low

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I get that
Yes, and they're higher when you have time to actually attempt one, which probably doesn't happen if you're counting on tying the score with a 2 pointer that would send you into OT.

Now suppose you actually we're to make the 2 pointer in that instance. The score is tied. Do you try an onside kick or count on this defense not allowing the Falcons to score in OT?

conner01

Reaction score
Yes, and they're higher when you have time to actually attempt one, which probably doesn't happen if you're counting on tying the score with a 2 pointer that would send you into OT.

Now suppose you actually we're to make the 2 pointer in that instance. The score is tied. Do you try an onside kick or count on this defense not allowing the Falcons to score in OT?
Good question
The odds of converting an onside kick are so low I don’t think you risk it in overtime
And the fact with today’s rules you only have to stop a TD to keep the game going I think you kick off and defend

droopdog7

Reaction score
You just want to argue with someone. Next time pick someone who disagrees with you.

Making it makes the path to victory just as clear, too. That's a meaningless point.

Your loss.
Sigh. Double sigh. Triple sigh.

pansophy

Reaction score
I get that
But you are arguing exactly for why you go for 2 early. The odds are the same regardless of when you go for two, so you do it first in order to know what you are up against. We needed a miracle to win regardless of when we go for two -- but missing early means we know we need to hurry to score again and try to get a FG somehow. What's the clock management like if we hold off on making that decision?

droopdog7

Reaction score
I thought he should have kicked the extra point. I think having an 8pt lead would have put more pressure on ATL versus a 9 point lead. But in the end if you don't get the 2pt conversion you're still kicking an onside kick.
And I my point is that you might want less pressure on them.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Good question
The odds of converting an onside kick are so low I don’t think you risk it in overtime
And the fact with today’s rules you only have to stop a TD to keep the game going I think you kick off and defend
The onside kick would be an attempt to avoid OT. I think you knew that but just misspoke.

Holding the Falcons to a FG (assuming they got the first possession) still means you have to score at least a FG on your possession. I don't have that much confidence in this team yet.

droopdog7

Reaction score
You just want to argue with someone. Next time pick someone who disagrees with you.

Making it makes the path to victory just as clear, too. That's a meaningless point.

Your loss.
Okay, cool. You think it doesn't matter whether you go for two on the first or second td. I've seen little argument to suggest otherwise but I guess.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's cool. I'm smarter than the average cat too.
I'm not implying otherwise, brother. Just letting you know that if you think Haimarej isn't intelligent, you're reading him wrong. He's also a very fair minded guy...One of my favorite posters, to be honest. You'll like him, if you don't try not to.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Okay, cool. You think it doesn't matter whether you go for two on the first or second td. I've seen little argument to suggest otherwise but I guess.

Correct. I take issue with the notion that clock management comes into play in either scenario. Make it, miss it, kick the FG- you're still down by another TD and the opposing team has another possession.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Which is why you shouldn't run the clock down before getting that second TD, if you kick the FG on the first try.
I agree, you shouldn't, but I think most teams do. Regardless, the sense of urgency will be lessened, so while they may not consciously run the clock, they'll probably use more time by virtue of not hurrying.