MMQB - The Next Wentz? Justin Herbert Is Turning Heads

Plankton

Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/10/03/justin-herbert-oregon-quarterback-2019-nfl-draft

Such a big part of the Carson Wentz story three years ago was how he came out of nowhere (“nowhere” being Fargo) to position himself as a Top 5 guy in the 2016 draft class. Maybe you’d think that would be one big difference between him and Oregon’s fast-rising quarterback prospect, Justin Herbert. But then you hear how Herbert wound up on scholarship in Eugene in the first place.

Herbert’s offer list wasn’t much different than Wentz’s. He had one from Northern Arizona, another from Portland State, and—the offer he was planning to take at one point—joining his brother at Montana State. Herbert broke his leg as a high school junior, so his hometown Ducks (he grew up with season tickets and his grandfather played there) waited to see him throw as a senior, offered him then, and he accepted on the spot. He was the third quarterback in the Ducks’ 2016 class.

Ezra Shaw/Getty Images

It’s been just 37 months since then-Oregon coach Mark Helfrich and OC Scott Frost gave Herbert that opportunity, and it’s safe to say, he’s made the most of it. And there’s a lot more than just being the big, athletic, overlooked small-town kid that will draw the comparisons to Wentz. Most notably, it’s the expectation his wait to be picked won’t last long on draft day.

“He has all the tools, all the traits,” says one AFC exec. “He’s a bigger [Marcus] Mariota to me. He could use another year in school, another year of maturing. But I could definitely see him going high, just based on talent and traits, if he came out.”

The potential 2019 QB draft class was a jumbled mess of great potential and big unknowns coming into the season. Herbert, through five weeks, has pushed to the front of it. There’s the above evaluator’s comp to Mariota. There are a couple others I talked to this week who said Herbert reminds them of Wentz in stature, athleticism, off-schedule playmaking ability, and arm talent.

The implication there isn’t hard to figure out. Herbert’s got the goods to go in the Top 5 picks of the 2019 draft. He’s also got a lot of room to grow, which is great, but also illustrates the overriding feeling among scouts that, while he’s come a long way since arriving on campus, he’s not quite where he needs to be yet from an NFL standpoint.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Would love to get him even though we have Dak. Let the competition begin at qb and let the best man win.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
My bet is he's going to be a Giant. They'll take Herbert in the first and spend the rest of the draft predominantly on OL. Herbert, Barkley and Beckham could be a nasty set of triplets.

reddyuta

Reaction score
#SELforHerbert-no price is too high to get him.imo we will never win the SB with Dak,he hasnt taken the next step in year 3 and its too late.

Hardline

Reaction score
He will most likely be the first overall player taken. We won't have anywhere near the worst record to get that first pick.

That being said I package up to get him.
Your not going anywhere without a franchise QB so it doesn't matter to me if we give up half our draft picks to do it.

rags747

Reaction score
I know seriously, I am rooting for the Giants to win 6 to 8 games. Seems highly unlikely right now though.
They have a lot more offensive firepower than us, I imagine by the end of the year they will have a better record than us hopefully.

DiResta

Reaction score
it depends on the coach, do they fire Garrett or let him play out his final year?
if it's a different HC is it a nfl retread or is it a coach from college, it might make a difference in the offensive scheme and qb they want
He will most likely be the first overall player taken. We won't have anywhere near the worst record to get that first pick.

That being said I package up to get him.
Your not going anywhere without a franchise QB so it doesn't matter to me if we give up half our draft picks to do it.
if he isn't a starting franchise quality qb I wouldn't give up my premium picks from this year and next just because Dak isn't the guy
you could always go with a vet and get a qb the year after worse case scenario
like Tua Tagovailoa. that guy is Russell Wilson reincarnated as a lefty

lk8701

Reaction score
Does Herbert have the high IQ and great leadership skills of Wentz?

John813

Reaction score
Got to get the 1st overall pick.

Also got to hope whoever ends up the worst team doesn't need a QB either. And then outbid everyone for Herbert.