1. SPORGWIRE.com
    The best Sports Newswire on the internet!
    SPORGWIRE provides you with an easy way to keep up with the latest sports news,
    rumors, reviews, videos and more from sports sites all over the internet!
    Follow your favorite teams and sports leagues and
    the SPORGWIRE home page becomes your personal sports news site for the internet!
    Dismiss Notice

MMQB - Who Are the Defensive Linemen Expected to Dominate the 2019 NFL Draft?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Plankton, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

7,983 Messages
    9,070 Likes Received
    https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/07/12/2019-nfl-draft-defensive-linemen-nick-bosa-dexter-lawrence

There are a few simple things that you need to know about the 2019 NFL draft class, specifically the defensive linemen.

Ohio State DE Nick Bosa is thought to be better than his brother Joey—who was drafted by the Chargers with the No. 3 pick in 2016—was at this point, and Nick might not even be the best defensive-line prospect in this class. And Clemson’s Dexter Lawrence, who grabbed the NFL’s attention after his true freshman season in 2016, will have to fight to be the third player drafted—he might not even be the first from his own school.

If last year’s draft revolved around the quarterbacks, next year’s is shaping up to be about drafting players who will punish them. Tell an NFL evaluator that more than half of the guys drafted in the top 10 in April 2019 will be a defensive lineman, and you’ll be met with a shrug, and a nod. One college scouting director put it plainly via text: “If the top juniors declare, the 2019 defensive line class could be one of the deeper position in recent memory—at any position. There will good players drafted each day [at those positions].”

In the coming weeks, there’s a good chance that Rams’ Aaron Donald and Raiders’ Khalil Mack reconfigure the way that defensive-pressure players are rewarded in today’s NFL, just like Ndamukong Suh and Von Miller did three years ago. And the surest bet there is going into the 2019 draft cycle is that next year’s defensive line class will affirm how the NFL values them.

2. KingintheNorth

KingintheNorth Chris in Arizona

8,737 Messages
    8,192 Likes Received
    Two words if we are awful in 2018.
    1. Ed
    2. Oliver

Actually six words if we are awful in 2018
    1. Fire
    2. Jason
    3. Garrett
    4. Draft
    5. Ed
    6. Oliver

3. Soonerman1

Soonerman1 Member

40 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I think this years draft class for DL has the potential to be the BEST EVER of any draft class at any position group. With Oliver from Houston, Bosa and Dre’mont Jones for OSU, a minimum of three first round picks from Clemson, two from BAma, Jerry Tillery for Notre Dame two fist round picks from Mississippi State. And that’s just to start the list didn’t even make it to the west coast (PAC 12). This DL group is going to be the best position group of all time, and yes even better than the QB CLASS OF 83

4. SportsGuru80

SportsGuru80 CowboysYanksLakers

6,994 Messages
    2,861 Likes Received
    This is the draft class where Dallas finds it's interior DT war daddy...

Irvin88_4life likes this.
  5. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

5,306 Messages
    1,664 Likes Received
    We should tank this year:laugh:, that or do what the Eagles did and somehow the entire NFL conceded a top pick to them for practically nothing, not even sure why so many teams laid out and let the Eagles do that.

6. Soonerman1

Soonerman1 Member

40 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Me personally don’t think they are that good. If the ball doesn’t go through Julio Jones open arms in the end zone they are out the first round

Irvin88_4life likes this.
  7. timb2

timb2 Well-Known Member

2,204 Messages
    3,909 Likes Received
    Christian Wilkens DT Clemson

Irvin88_4life and Soonerman1 like this.
  8. KDM256

KDM256 Well-Known Member

702 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    A lot of hype for Bosa and I am not buying it. Nick is a solid player but is not the #1 draft pick in this class and most certainly not better than Joey at this point.

texbumthelife and fishspill like this.
  9. Centex

Centex Well-Known Member

225 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    Dallas seems to take a look gun position in the first knowing a deep position will be available in the second or later. I expect them to take anything but DL in the fist and grab a leftover in the 2nd or 3rd. Especially if Marinelli is still the d coordinator

10. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

3,873 Messages
    3,588 Likes Received
    I hate to say it, but if it gets that bad we're probably in the QB business.

But yeah, Oliver is a complete stud.

Some recent DTs I've liked over the years;
    Mohammed Wilkerson
    Michael Brockers
    DeForest Buckner
    Malik McDowell

Been wanting to see us invest properly at DT for a while now...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018 at 4:52 PM
  11. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

11,703 Messages
    8,683 Likes Received
    I agree. I don't see it. With Joey, it showed up tangibly on the field every Saturday. With Nick, it seems to always be what he can do, what he's possible of etc. Nick has a higher ceiling, but is by no means better than Joey at this point. That said, if he is a terror this season, he could be the first defender taken.