Mock 1a and 1b

ghst187

Reaction score
These are based on a combo of what i think we will do and what i'd like for us to do as well as who i think (quite optimistically) could be there when we pick.
Presumptions are that Dez, Anthony Davis, Rolando McClain, and some of the other surefire top 10 picks are gone and we largely stay put. I've seen a lot of mocks project Taylor Mays to us but I think he is a colossal bust, same for Bruce Campbell. I realize these mocks don't address the LT or ILB position but I really think there won't be value for pick at LT at the 27 spot plus Free and Brewster and Flo will be back. Kosier is the guy that's a lightweight and has an expiring contract after next season. At ILB, Jason Williams will be back as will Brooking so unless someone like McClain is there in the first or Spikes is there for us in the second, I wouldn't spend a pick on a guy I knew would be a backup for at least 1-2 years. I really think we will pick up at least one WR in this draft. Jerry said he didn't think we needed one which almost guarantees he thinks we need one. Watching the playoffs, I realized that Romo flat out needs another weapon at WR. I love Ogletree and think he'll contribute a lot next year but still think we could use one more and get ready to dump Roy after next season if not sooner. He's a liability. The Colts draft a WR every year as do the Cardinals and their passing games have never missed a beat even if they lose a probowler WR. We're relying on an UDFA, a seventh rounder, and a first round bust. We're really close and I think one more weapon could put us over the top.

1a:
rd 1) Mike Iupati G, Idaho: We have Colombo, Bigg, and Gurode from center to right with 5 Pro bowls between them. Its the left side that needs fixing. Kosier is undersized and only one year remaining on his contract. We also have Free and Brewster coming back as well as Flo. Someone should be able to hold down the LT spot between those three. Some project that Iupati might also be capable of playing some T. He is going to be a bulldozer and G's typically drop on draft day. I know everyone wants a LT here but I think Campbell might end up a bust and Bulaga, Okung, Davis will be long gone. Also, not sure Trent Williams won't end up at RT. Big drop-off after those guys.
rd 2) Damian Williams WR, USC: I've seen Williams projected everywhere from late 3 to middle 1st. I think he's one of the most polished WRs in this draft and is going to be another NYG Steve Smith. A player like him is exactly what we need to replace RW. Austin is our home run hitter. Also, watching all the playoff games and esp Indianapolis, we just flat out need more weapons at WR. RW is terrible and a huge liability.
rd 3) Daryl Washington LB, TCU: might be too light to play ILB in a 3-4 but a colossal upgrade over Barbie in the nickel. Runs 4.5 40 and is a lot more physical...light years more athletic than Barber. He's a steal in late 3rd.
rd 4) Robert Johnson FS, Utah: Rangy, true FS. If Earl Thomas is gone by our pick in the first, I'm not really sure we can get an upgrade over Ken Hamlin. If Mike Hamlin is really good then we may not draft a S at all. Another consideration here would be Javier Arenas if he slips this far, simply for his return ability.
rd 5) no pick
rd 6) Leigh Tiffin, K, Alabama: Best kicker in the country and our kicker arguably cost us, and nearly cost us, several games.
rd 7) Boo Robinson, DT, Wake Forest: Seen this guy projected all over the place on day 2, would be a good pick if he slipped this far.

1b: If Earl Thomas slips and is available at our first pick....
rd 1) Earl Thomas, FS, Texas: ball hawking true FS. If he is a ballhawk in our secondary, our defense becomes next level.
rd 2) Mike Johnson, G, Alabama: Some have him rated higher than Iupati and Gs slip on draft day. This guy is good although not a heavyweight, 306ish.
rd 3) Javier Arenas, CB/KR, Alabama: One of the best return guys in the country if not the best plus he can back up one of the corner positions.
rd 4) Freddie Barnes, WR, Bowling Green: This guy just gets open. Not blazing fast, not overly huge, but gets separation, great in and out of cuts, and always finds the crease in the defense. I think he will be really productive in the NFL somewhere and come cheap on draft day. He's having a great Sr Bowl week too apparently.
rd 5) no pick
rd 6) Leigh Tiffin, K, Alabama: We continue our raid on the national championship game rosters and keep filling critical needs.
rd 7) Boo Robinson, NT, Wake Forest.

blast away!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
1a is perfect except for the Kicker. I really like Robert Johnson btw.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Hostile;3257220 said:
1a is perfect except for the Kicker. I really like Robert Johnson btw.

Since when have you not liked kickers? I really like 1a as well, i'd be more than happy if our draft played out like that.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
gmoney112;3257269 said:
Since when have you not liked kickers? I really like 1a as well, i'd be more than happy if our draft played out like that.
Since he was born. ;)

VACowboy

Reaction score
Gimme Arthur moats, Adrian Tracey or Clifton Geathers in the 6th and I'll take 1a right now. I'm afraid Damien Williams is gonna be a top-20 pick, though.