Mock 2.0

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Like everyone else, I'm eager to land one of the premier LBs with the 18th pick, but I'm beginning to think that this team's fortunes will depend on the offense and protecting Bledsoe.

Our defense, with a healthy Singleton and Burnett, is good enough to win and withstand an injury or two, with the exception of FS and NT. I'm not sure I feel the same way about the other side of the ball. So, without further ado, here is my revised mock based on that logic:

1. Marcus McNeil, OT, Auburn
2. Charles Spencer, OG, Pittsburgh
3. Jonathan Lewis, DT, VT
5. Roman Harper, S, Alabama
6. Cooper Wallace, TE, Auburn
7. James Anderson, OLB, VT

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
The_Jackal said:
Like everyone else, I'm eager to land one of the premier LBs with the 18th pick, but I'm beginning to think that this team's fortunes will depend on the offense and protecting Bledsoe.

Our defense, with a healthy Singleton and Burnett, is good enough to win and withstand an injury or two, with the exception of FS and NT. I'm not sure I feel the same way about the other side of the ball. So, without further ado, here is my revised mock based on that logic:

I agree sorta. I wouldn't mind the 1st 2 picks, but in the third, we MUST get an OLB.

Smith22

Reaction score
Picks 2 and 7 I like, not a big fan of the rest. Too many question marks with McNeil right now, Harper isn't the type of safety we are looking for IMO, and I don't get the fascination with us drafting more TE's. I'm with the 2nd poster, I can't imagine us coming out of day 1 without a LB'er.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
This is a deep LB draft, no question, but we do not NEED a linebacker. Our linebacker corps can be successful without any new additions.

Not so with OL, DT, and TE. The main problem with our team last year, and for the past few years actually, has been inconsistent play from the OL which has resulted in an enemic running game and a battered quarterback. This draft dramatically upgrades the talent on the OL with solid value picks.

As for the TE, Parcell's loves two tight end sets, and with the departure of Campbell that leaves us with Witten and Ryan. I think it would be wise to add some depth to that position seeing how it figures prominently in our offense.

I know many here want to draft a top-flight safety prospect but I don't think it's essential to fielding a good defense. I see Harper as a solid and reliable, if not spectacular, safety prospect in the mold of Corey Chavous. We don't need all-world back there, just someone who is competent, knows their assignments, and who will not get burned on the big play. I think Harper fills the bill.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
1. McNeil will be a 2nd round pick.

2. Yes we DO need a LB. We need better then Singleton at SOLB.

3. We have a probowler at TE, but our TE can't be successful without another TE?

4. Not against a T in the first round (as long as he's one of the top 3 players available), but why not Justice? Or Winston (Miami)?

5. You forgot we just signed Hannam (TE from Seattle), plus we also have Pierce. We don't need a TE.

6. Don't mind Spencer in the second.

Smith22

Reaction score
Running a 3-4, LB'er is where the flux of your talent should be. Can you honestly look at our LB'er core and say that is true with our team? Ware is our only true threat rushing the passer. Adding another guy capable of getting after the QB consistently adds another dimension to the defense, one which we have been missing for quite some time. If we don't go in that direction, then getting a free safety who excels in pass coverage should be near the top of the priority list, allowing Roy to be around the LOS much more. It is no secret he is at his best in the box. Jason Allen would be my ideal choice, but there is more talent out there if not. I agree that depth at NT is a big need. I would expect us to address that between rounds 2-5, and it has been mentioned more than once we have shown interest in big Gabe.

Woods

Reaction score
As much as I would like to depend on Burnett, I think it would be dangerous to do so given he's coming off a serious injury. On top of that, Al S. is "o.k." when 100% healthy, but even he's coming off an injury.

The 3-4 is based on superior LB play. Whether we take a LB in the 1st or not, I think we definitely need to draft one on the 1st day.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Rack said:
5. You forgot we just signed Hannam (TE from Seattle), plus we also have Pierce. We don't need a TE.

Indeed I did. Thanks for reminding me. OLB anyone?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
The_Jackal said:
Indeed I did. Thanks for reminding me. OLB anyone?

I'm all for the BPA (cuz the BPA's will likely be at the Tackle and OLB position).

Or a trade down. A trade down would be ideal. We could still get one of those Tackles or OLBs and possibly get an extra 3rd as well.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
I really think we need to get 2 OL in the first three picks: from this list. D. Ferguson, W.Justice, M.McNeil, E.Winston, J.Scott, D.Joseph (OU), or C.Spencer.

If you get two tackles then move one to guard, or move Petitti to guard. Either way, this team badly needs to draft for the future of the OL. I still think it is the weakest link.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
The_Jackal said:

I agree with everything you said and I like your first 2 picks.
Jonathan Lewis (I believe) is too small however to play NT.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
I agree with everything you said and I like your first 2 picks.
Jonathan Lewis (I believe) is too small however to play NT.

That is a concern. You think he can handle more weight? I also think Tommy Jackson, DT, Auburn is a possibility if we go LB or S if the third.

DandyDon

Reaction score
The_Jackal said:

Gotta tell ya, I love Jonathan Lewis - he's a Parcells kinda player......