Mock Draft

like a dog

Panamanian Cowboy
Reaction score
Round 1 - Chad Greenway OLB, Iowa

Big (6'4'', 245), fast (4.55) and athletic outside linebacker. Excellent in coverage and as a blitzer, which projects himself well to the outside of the 3-4. Needs to put on about 10 pounds to help him shed blocks better, but should end up being an ideal compliment to Ware on the outside.

Round 2 - Eric Winston OT, Miami

With five OTs potentially carrying a first round grades (Fergueson, Justice, Scott, McNeil, and Winston) one will probably slip down to Dallas in the 2nd round. Winston is as likely a candidate as any because of injury concerns and a subpar (for him) senior season. However, before his injury he was considered the elite tackle in this draft class. He has the size (6'7'', 315) and athleticism to play either side in the NFL and will go a long way to solidifying Dallas' woeful offensive line.

Round 3 - Jason Allen S, Tennessee

Versatile player has experience at both corner and free safety. His size (6'2'', 205) and speed (4.50) would seem to project him as a safety in the NFL. Is a ballhawk with great range who shows very good instincts and should serve as an ideal complement to Roy Williams.

Round 5 - Fred Matua OG, USC

Roadgrader is overshawdowed (literally!) by larger then life linemate Tutsui Latui. Smooth player excels in pass protection, but can be overpowered by bigger tackles. Needs to put some muscle on a relatively small frame (6'2'', 305), but projects as a starter down the road.

Round 6 - Steve Fifita NT, Utah

Fifita projects best as a NT in the NFL. Has ideal size (6'0'', 325) and strength for the position. Can anchor against the run and two gap. Not very much of a threat as a pass rusher.

Round 7 - Michael Robinson QB/WR/RB, Penn State

Assuming Robinson lasts this long, which is a distinct possibility giving his lack of an NFL position, he would be a great addition at this point. A dynamic runner who probably projects best at WR, Robinson could be of immediate use as a PR/KR/Gimmick play type while he learns his position.

Thoughts?

aznhalf

Reaction score
like a dog said:
Round 7 - Michael Robinson QB/WR/RB, Penn State

Assuming Robinson lasts this long, which is a distinct possibility giving his lack of an NFL position, he would be a great addition at this point. A dynamic runner who probably projects best at WR, Robinson could be of immediate use as a PR/KR/Gimmick play type while he learns his position.

Thoughts?

We already have a Robinson in Crayton. I think some other team will take a chance on him turning into some sort of Randel El or Drew Bennet before the 7th round anyways.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I don't think Greenway is that big. I don't think he's extremely physical, either. He strikes me as a weak-side 4-3 LB. Am I wrong?

I'd take Winston in a heartbeat in the second, but I think he'll be long gone.

Fifita is a good call in the sixth.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
How do we stop teams? Carpenter is better than Greenway for our 3-4.

like a dog

Panamanian Cowboy
Reaction score
I disagree about Carpenter being better for our defense then Greenway. Greenway is a superb bltizer and is very good in pass coverage. While he does not have prototypical size right now, he certainly has the frame (6'4'') to put some weight on. Besides that I think Greenway is a far better athlete and player then Carpenter.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
like a dog said:
I disagree about Carpenter being better for our defense then Greenway. Greenway is a superb bltizer and is very good in pass coverage. While he does not have prototypical size right now, he certainly has the frame (6'4'') to put some weight on. Besides that I think Greenway is a far better athlete and player then Carpenter.
Greenway is also better suited to WOLB, and we need a SOLB which is where Carpenter typically played because Hawk was the WOLB.

Overall I really like your Mock. I wouldn't gripe much. I do think Carpenter is a better fit. I'd love Winston in the 2nd.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
like a dog said:

Are you a Hawkeye fan?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Watching Greenway in the senior bowl, he was practically invisible.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Chad Greenway is 6-2 242

To justify a 1st round pick - that player prett damn well be better than Fajita day 1...

There are better DE/LB prospects that will be available in round 2.

We shall see!

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Greenway is also better suited to WOLB, and we need a SOLB which is where Carpenter typically played because Hawk was the WOLB.

Overall I really like your Mock. I wouldn't gripe much. I do think Carpenter is a better fit. I'd love Winston in the 2nd.

Greenway's very similar to Johnson from last year in that he has a tendency to avoid blockers rather than taking them on.

He's going to be a quality player in the NFL if he's put in the proper place to make plays but OLB in a 3-4 isn't it.

I've told you before though, I feel that Hodge is going to be a much bettter professional.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Greenway was second to Hodge in team tackles by two (156) and tackles for a loss by one. He had an interception and eight passes defensed. So he flies around the field, for sure. But he had all of two sacks, which doesn't indicate to me that he's a great blitzer. He looks like a weak-side 4-3 OLB to me.

Now, Carpenter is 6-3 and weighs 250 pounds. He played linebacker all over the field and put his hand on the ground as a pass rusher. He had 8 sacks and broke up a couple passes. But most of all he's mean and nasty and likes punching o-linemen in the mouth He's the prototypical strong-side 3-4 OLB. The Dallas D could use his talent and his attitude.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Not sure about Greenway at this point but besides that I would really have no problems with that draft.

like a dog

Panamanian Cowboy
Reaction score
aznhalf said:
We already have a Robinson in Crayton. I think some other team will take a chance on him turning into some sort of Randel El or Drew Bennet before the 7th round anyways.

Well Crayton is a much better receiver then Robinson at this point, but I don't believe that he has nearly the sort of dynanicism that Robinson does with the ball in his hands. I would not bat an eye if Dallas used a second day pick on Robinson.

like a dog

Panamanian Cowboy
Reaction score
junk said:
Are you a Hawkeye fan?

No, a Seminoles fan actually.

I guess what it boils down too is that I simply feel that Greenway is the better player. While Carpenter is big and mean, I don't think that he is anywhere close to the athlete that Greenway is. That being said, I would not be dissapointed with Carpenter.

dmoore

Reaction score
We don't even have to debate about taking Greenway, he'll be off the board by the time we pick. I wouldn't mind Carpenter at 18, but I don't think that we could get Winston with our 2nd round pick. I wouldn't be upset at all if we moved up in the 2nd to get him.

like a dog

Panamanian Cowboy
Reaction score
dmoore said:
We don't even have to debate about taking Greenway, he'll be off the board by the time we pick. I wouldn't mind Carpenter at 18, but I don't think that we could get Winston with our 2nd round pick. I wouldn't be upset at all if we moved up in the 2nd to get him.

I agree that my scenario is a little hopeful. Greenway and Winston will probably both be off the board by the time Dallas picks.

I also think that if one of the top five tackles falls out of the first, Dallas would do well to move up and nab one in the early second (assuming of course Dallas has not selected a tackle in the first round).

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
like a dog said:
No, a Seminoles fan actually.

I guess what it boils down too is that I simply feel that Greenway is the better player. While Carpenter is big and mean, I don't think that he is anywhere close to the athlete that Greenway is. That being said, I would not be dissapointed with Carpenter.

I think Greenway is overrated. I've watched a few Hawkeyes games the past couple of years and Greenway never stood out to me.

Hodge did. Roth did.

I just don't think he projects to a 3-4 well at all.