Mock - less than 3 weeks out

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
22. Justin King CB Penn State - Fastest corner in the draft who is rated much higher as a prospect by some teams than by most fans.

28. Ketwan Balmer DE NC- Value pick as some players I think Dallas would like I have projected as gone and no trade offers are viable. Projects to 3-4 DE. Would join a rotation of Canty, Spears and Hatcher.

61. Charles Godfrey CB Iowa- I'm not projecting an Adams Jones deal so quality depth at CB is priority #1.

92. Steve Slaton RB WVU - Dropped out of the discussion of elite backs but still has a chance to be an elite player at the next level.

126. Roy Shuening OG Oregon St.- Most people will scream about a guard but I have him as the BPA and a solid pick.

For the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds, I have Dallas jumping around and down quite a bit so the pick numbers aren't listed.

6th Round - Colt Brennan -QB Hawaii Perfect chance to take a flyer on a quality QB with some question marks. May "redshirt" on the IR his rookie year thanks to his hip surgery.

6th Round - Arman Shield - WR Richmond A knee injury his senior year kept this WR from sniffing the first day as he has all the measurables. Would have liked to see some better production at Richmond but has a chance to make the Cowboys.

6th Round - Rodrick Johnson -LB Oklahoma St. Big physical LB to replace Ayodele if he's released/traded. I have him on my sleeper list and think he has what it takes to be a decent pro.

7th Round - Rodney Kinlaw RB Penn State- Another on my sleeper list. Decent speed and good production in a tough conference. Worth a 7th.

7th Round - Chris Horton S UCLA- Keith Davis' replacement on special teams. He'd have gone much higher except for a serious injury. Picked solely on his ability to make the team.

I've picked 2 CBs, 1 OG, 1 DE, 1 QB, 1 WR, 1 ILB , 1 SS and 2 RBs.

I realize that I'm projecting guys like Brennan, Shields and Horton who have somewhat serious injury concerns but I'm of the school of thought that grabbing either sleepers or injury concerns is the way to go in the last two rounds. Boom or bust on a team that doesn't have a lot of openings.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Justin King will likely go in the 3rd at the earliest.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
theogt;2027628 said:

My bet is first round but there's no way he last until the second day. Kiper's usually pretty close as the draft draws closer with all his connections and he has him in the first round now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
StanleySpadowski;2027635 said:
My bet is first round but there's no way he last until the second day. Kiper's usually pretty close as the draft draws closer with all his connections and he has him in the first round now.

I'd be willing to bet money against Kiper here.

His draft rankings seem a bit 'distracted' to me this year.

Like he's got too much going on and isn't focusing on the draft as much as he used to be. Or as much as he should be.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
stasheroo;2027638 said:
I'd be willing to bet money against Kiper here.

His draft rankings seem a bit 'distracted' to me this year.

Like he's got too much going on and isn't focusing on the draft as much as he used to be. Or as much as he should be.
I'll get in on this bet too.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
22. Justin King CB Penn State - YUCK!! He has poor technique and his 40 speed is spent chasing guys. Reminds of Jacque Reeves. A 3rd round candidate imho.

28. Ketwan Balmer DE NC- The Cowboys do apparently like him as a 3-4 DE fit but are they gonna use another first on the DL? Doubtful imho.

61. Charles Godfrey CB Iowa- This one makes a lot of sense. Might be a FS type, would be a nickel player a least.

92. Steve Slaton RB WVU - He had a poor final collegiate season and followed it with poor speed showing. Might be a steal but could fall to day 2 after a poor season and off-season. May have been a system back.

126. Roy Shuening OG Oregon St.- We could go OG here but I think we'd rather go OT.

6th Round - Colt Brennan - This guy has zero NFL future. He simply lacks NFL ability. He was a system guy who showed up at the Senior Bowl with size and system concerns.

6th Round - Arman Shield - This would be a flyer but all these picks will be.
I'll ignore the rest because this late any guess is legit.

IMO If the draft falls like this Dallas fans will mutiny and burn Jerry's Highland Park mansion down. :D

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Sorry, no offense, but this is down right horrible. I'd honestly be sick all summer long if this was our draft.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
jterrell;2027642 said:
22. Justin King CB Penn State - YUCK!! He has poor technique and his 40 speed is spent chasing guys. Reminds of Jacque Reeves. A 3rd round candidate imho.

28. Ketwan Balmer DE NC- The Cowboys do apparently like him as a 3-4 DE fit but are they gonna use another first on the DL? Doubtful imho.

61. Charles Godfrey CB Iowa- This one makes a lot of sense. Might be a FS type, would be a nickel player a least.

92. Steve Slaton RB WVU - He had a poor final collegiate season and followed it with poor speed showing. Might be a steal but could fall to day 2 after a poor season and off-season. May have been a system back.

126. Roy Shuening OG Oregon St.- We could go OG here but I think we'd rather go OT.

6th Round - Colt Brennan - This guy has zero NFL future. He simply lacks NFL ability. He was a system guy who showed up at the Senior Bowl with size and system concerns.

6th Round - Arman Shield - This would be a flyer but all these picks will be.
I'll ignore the rest because this late any guess is legit.

IMO If the draft falls like this Dallas fans will mutiny and burn Jerry's Highland Park mansion down. :D

This draft is how I think it will fall, not how I hope it falls. Some can't seem to grasp the difference. And Dallas fans are primed for a mutiny no matter who Dallas drafts.

I'll disagree with you about Brennan, he showed up at the Senior Bowl with a bum hip, performed poorly and dropped from a potential first day guy to a late rounder. I've been pretty good at evaluating QBs, especially late round guys (search the history) and I really think that if Brennan has "it". Whether he develops into something special remains to be seen but I'll bet that he has a somewhat lengthy career in the league.

And I have Slaton going day two ;) (third round is now day two).

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;2027612 said:
22. Justin King CB Penn State - Fastest corner in the draft who is rated much higher as a prospect by some teams than by most fans.

28. Ketwan Balmer DE NC- Value pick as some players I think Dallas would like I have projected as gone and no trade offers are viable. Projects to 3-4 DE. Would join a rotation of Canty, Spears and Hatcher.

61. Charles Godfrey CB Iowa- I'm not projecting an Adams Jones deal so quality depth at CB is priority #1.

92. Steve Slaton RB WVU - Dropped out of the discussion of elite backs but still has a chance to be an elite player at the next level.

126. Roy Shuening OG Oregon St.- Most people will scream about a guard but I have him as the BPA and a solid pick.

For the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds, I have Dallas jumping around and down quite a bit so the pick numbers aren't listed.

6th Round - Colt Brennan -QB Hawaii Perfect chance to take a flyer on a quality QB with some question marks. May "redshirt" on the IR his rookie year thanks to his hip surgery.

6th Round - Arman Shield - WR Richmond A knee injury his senior year kept this WR from sniffing the first day as he has all the measurables. Would have liked to see some better production at Richmond but has a chance to make the Cowboys.

6th Round - Rodrick Johnson -LB Oklahoma St. Big physical LB to replace Ayodele if he's released/traded. I have him on my sleeper list and think he has what it takes to be a decent pro.

7th Round - Rodney Kinlaw RB Penn State- Another on my sleeper list. Decent speed and good production in a tough conference. Worth a 7th.

7th Round - Chris Horton S UCLA- Keith Davis' replacement on special teams. He'd have gone much higher except for a serious injury. Picked solely on his ability to make the team.

I've picked 2 CBs, 1 OG, 1 DE, 1 QB, 1 WR, 1 ILB , 1 SS and 2 RBs.

I realize that I'm projecting guys like Brennan, Shields and Horton who have somewhat serious injury concerns but I'm of the school of thought that grabbing either sleepers or injury concerns is the way to go in the last two rounds. Boom or bust on a team that doesn't have a lot of openings.
You've always been a King guy, and I've always been a Cason guy.

I like Balmer a lot. I've wanted to include him in a couple of the mocks I have done, but never can make it fit in my head.

I do like the kid from Iowa and if we wait on RB I wouldn't mind Slaton. Kinlaw is also interesting. You and I have discussed him via PM.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2027628 said:

You're SMOKING CRACK if you think King doesn't get drafted in the top 2 rounds!
3rd EARLIEST?
How much would you like to BET that says he gets picked in the top 2 rounds?
Granted this guys mock having us pick him at #22 is WAY WAY TOO EARLY, but he has WAY TOO MUCH upside that he'll 100% be picked in the top 2 rounds I'd bet ANYTHING you'd like on it.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;2027612 said:

WAY TOO MUCH OF A REACH, I like King, but as a mid 2nd rounder!
I'd LOVE this pick, we keep forgetting L.D.E. is a HUGE NEED, Spears is GREAT as a 1st and 2nd round run stuffer but that's IT!
I'd love to draft Balmer at #28

NO WAY he lasts this long, I have us taking him in round 2 but that's cause I have us trading our #28 and 2nd rounder for Atlanta's Two mid round picks.
LOVE the pick if he's here though, can play both C.B. and safety so gives us a ton of versatility and just LOVE this kid.

About a round too early, but if we haven't picked a R.B. by now, I dont' mind it!

Is an early to mid 3rd round prospect, NO WAY he lasts this long, would doubt he lasts till our late 3rd and has NO CHANCE of being here with this pick!

No arm strength, but neither did Montana or a Chad Pennington, I like the pick!
!

Ayodelle will be RELEASED because there's NO MORE ROOM forr an I.L.B. on this roster, so this would be a waste of a dradft pick cuase it's a numbers game and all our I.L.B>"s are SET IN STONE and there's NO MORE ROOM FOR ANOTHER ONE hence the reason Ayodelle will be released!