Mock Off-season

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Assuming we don't win the Superbowl...

Fire Wade Phillips.
Promote Jason Garrett to Head Coach.
Sign Dick LeBeau (Pittsburgh) and name him Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator.

Release Roy Williams SS, Greg Ellis OLB, and Brad Johnson QB for cap relief (approx $7M saved).

Allow Chris Canty DE, Tank Johnson NT, Marc Colombo T, and Kevin Burnett LB to leave via free agency.

Sign Jordan Gross T (Carolina) to a 7-year deal.
Sign Brian Dawkins S (Philadelphia) to a 3-year deal.

Draftday Trades
Traded Bobby Carpenter LB and Patrick Crayton WR to Miami for John Beck QB and a 2010 draft pick.

Traded a 2009 3rd round pick, 4th round pick, and a conditional 2010 draft pick to Pittsburgh for Casey Hampton NT. Sign Hampton to a cap-friendly extension (2010 is the last year of his current contract).

Draft
2 - Derek Pegues S Mississippi State
4 (from Detroit) - Clay Matthews OLB USC
5a - Jason Phillips LB TCU
5b (from Tennessee) - Paul Fanaika G Arizona State
5c (Compensatory for Julius Jones) - Antonio Dixon NT Miami
6a (from Miami) - Josh Pinkard CB/S USC
6b (Compensatory for Jacques Reeves) - Jeffrey Fitzgerald OLB Virgina
7a (from Detroit) - Brett Helms LSU
7b - Thor Pili DE UNLV

2009 Main players
QB Tony Romo - John Beck
RB Marion Barber - Felix Jones
FB Deon Anderson
WR Terrell Owens
WR Roy Williams - Miles Austin
TE Jason Witten - Martellus Bennett
C Andre Gurode
G Leonard Davis
G Kyle Kosier - Montrae Holland
T Flozell Adams
T Jordan Gross

NT Casey Hampton
DE Jay Ratliff
DE Marcus Spears - Jason Hatcher
OLB DeMarcus Ware
OLB Anthony Spencer
ILB Bradie James
ILB Zach Thomas
CB Adam Jones - Anthony Henry
CB Terrence Newman - Mike Jenkins - Orlando Scandrick
SS Ken Hamlin
FS Brian Dawkins - Derek Pegues

Have at it.....

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
:madden:

If jerry cut RW for B dawkins I would take a type to VR.....it wouldn't be pretty for jerry.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2418598 said:
Release Roy Williams SS, Greg Ellis OLB, and Brad Johnson QB for cap relief (approx $7M saved).

You sure about that cap relief?
Cause I know if we cut roy, we wont' be saving that much money since we'd still have some of his contract to pay off.
I don't know if we want to get rid of the only other L.B. besides Ware who can rush the passer, Ellis lost a step or TWO, but I wouldn't be too quick to cut him.

Allow Chris Canty DE, Tank Johnson NT, Marc Colombo T, and Kevin Burnett LB to leave via free agency.

Tank, Columbo I agree, I still like Burnett, and I think Canty is a mUST SIGN this off season, SPEARS SUCKS, but Canty is really having a good season, he's getting good q.B. pressures a lot of games, his sack numbers don't tell his story, he's got a TON of Q.B. hurries this year, the T.B. game alone he came within half a second of getting about 4 sacks and hit Garcia like 5 times.

GROSS is a LEFT TACKLE, you're gonna pay him L.T. money to play R.T.???
I Love the dawkins pickup though, but if we get him, why waste one of our top picks on a safety??

Draftday Trades
Traded Bobby Carpenter LB and Patrick Crayton WR to Miami for John Beck QB and a 2010 draft pick.

Now you're getting into too much Madden, this aint' gonna happen.

Traded a 2009 3rd round pick, 4th round pick, and a conditional 2010 draft pick to Pittsburgh for Casey Hampton NT. Sign Hampton to a cap-friendly extension (2010 is the last year of his current contract).

WAY TOO MUCH MADDEN, why on EARTH would the Steelers trade away their Pro-Bowl N.T. who makes their defense work????
AND for only a 3rd and 4th rounder?

Draft
2 - Derek Pegues S Mississippi State
4 (from Detroit) - Clay Matthews OLB USC

Like the safety, but would draft him a round later, and WHY ON EARTH would we use such a hig pick on an O.L.B. when we have Ware and Specner LOCKED IN as our starters for the next decade, and WHY ON EARTH if we just signed Dawkins to a 3 year deal and have Hamlin locked up for abou 5 years would we use our TOP DRAFT PICK on a SAFETY??????
So you basically have us using our TOP TWO PICKS in this years drafts to be BACKUPS for at LEAST 3 years, MIND BOGGLING to say the least.

5a - Jason Phillips LB TCU
5b (from Tennessee) - Paul Fanaika G Arizona State

Not bad!

5c (Compensatory for Julius Jones) - Antonio Dixon NT Miami

Too early for dixon, could be had late 6th or 7th!

6a (from Miami) - Josh Pinkard CB/S USC
6b (Compensatory for Jacques Reeves) - Jeffrey Fitzgerald OLB Virgina
7a (from Detroit) - Brett Helms LSU
7b - Thor Pili DE UNLV

I'd rather trade away all our late round cpiks (can't trade comp picks though) and use them tomove up in the earlier rounds to get the guys we target, if this was our actual draft I'd PUKE!

Bigdog

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think Jordan Gross signed an extension with Carolina.

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
Gross is a RT by nature, he is only playing there this year because their only other OT is a rookie (Jeff Otah). He will be a FA this offseason because Carolina franchised him last year and never got a deal worked out.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
Bigdog;2418769 said:
I could be wrong but I think Jordan Gross signed an extension with Carolina.

It's a moot point since no way are we gonna pay a L.T. Left tackle MONEY to play R.T. for us.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
"You sure about that cap relief?
Cause I know if we cut roy, we wont' be saving that much money since we'd still have some of his contract to pay off."

- Yes. Roy's base salary gets really high starting next year so we would save money by cutting him. Brad Johnson is in the last year of his contract so we save his base salry ($1.5). Same deal with Ellis, last year of his contract so we'd get hit for his prorated bonus instead of his prorated bonus plus his base salary. Plus, I just think Ellis' public whinings hurt the team so it's time to let him go.

"Tank, Columbo I agree, I still like Burnett, and I think Canty is a mUST SIGN this off season, SPEARS SUCKS, but Canty is really having a good season, he's getting good q.B. pressures a lot of games, his sack numbers don't tell his story, he's got a TON of Q.B. hurries this year, the T.B. game alone he came within half a second of getting about 4 sacks and hit Garcia like 5 times."

-I've always liked Canty and coming into this season I thought he was a crucial re-sign but so far this year he hasn't done much to impress me. The defense as a whole can't stop the run, get consistant pressure on QB's, and almost always give up a big play when they just need to hold one play. That being said, I wouldn't be upset at all if we kept Canty at a reasonable rate.

"GROSS is a LEFT TACKLE, you're gonna pay him L.T. money to play R.T.???"

-He IS a left tackle. Moving Flozell Adams to right tackle might actually prolong his career a few seasons.

"Now you're getting into too much Madden, this aint' gonna happen."

-From everything I've read we have now tried to acquire Beck twice. I'm guessing that we might try one more time."

"WAY TOO MUCH MADDEN, why on EARTH would the Steelers trade away their Pro-Bowl N.T. who makes their defense work????
AND for only a 3rd and 4th rounder"

-This one has some wishful thinking involved but Hampton will be in the final year of his contract and will have a 2009 cap hit around $8 M. The Steelers are one of the smartest teams around when it comes to free agency and the salary cap. They almost never overpay players so they will likely lose Hampton without compensation in 2010. Where Jerry is anxious to win now and would be willing to sign Hampton to an extension.

"Like the safety, but would draft him a round later, and WHY ON EARTH would we use such a hig pick on an O.L.B. when we have Ware and Specner LOCKED IN as our starters for the next decade, and WHY ON EARTH if we just signed Dawkins to a 3 year deal and have Hamlin locked up for abou 5 years would we use our TOP DRAFT PICK on a SAFETY??????
So you basically have us using our TOP TWO PICKS in this years drafts to be BACKUPS for at LEAST 3 years, MIND BOGGLING to say the least."

-Do we honestly think with the talent we have on this roster we are going to draft any players outside of the 1st round to come in and start? Pegues is playmaker and would be groomed to replace Dawkins. Matthews was picked to be a back-up pass rushing OLB since Ellis was released and also fill the Special teams void left by trading Bobby Carpenter. Dawkins signing a 3-year deal is just a way for the Cowboys to spread out a larger signing bonus. In reality, he would play 2-years and be released.

"I'd rather trade away all our late round cpiks (can't trade comp picks though) and use them tomove up in the earlier rounds to get the guys we target, if this was our actual draft I'd PUKE"

-I've said all along that we need quality not quantity in this draft so I would want to trade up as well. As far as the players I chose, I patrolled random mock draft and scouting websites to get a feel for where players could end up. I know the usual Cowboys mocks on this forum are littered with players from random Texas colleges but I can't remember a draft where Dallas actually did that.

As long as we use the draft to obtain a real NT, a safety with speed, and some O-Line depth I will be happy. A QB of the future would be nice too.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2418838 said:
"You sure about that cap relief?
Cause I know if we cut roy, we wont' be saving that much money since we'd still have some of his contract to pay off."

- Yes. Roy's base salary gets really high starting next year so we would save money by cutting him. Brad Johnson is in the last year of his contract so we save his base salry ($1.5). Same deal with Ellis, last year of his contract so we'd get hit for his prorated bonus instead of his prorated bonus plus his base salary. Plus, I just think Ellis' public whinings hurt the team so it's time to let him go.

Oh O.K. Cool, yeah I agree HATE Ellis WHINING every off season, although he seems to be a team leader on Sundays, but I could live without him, especially if it means Spencer will see full time duty.

-I've always liked Canty and coming into this season I thought he was a crucial re-sign but so far this year he hasn't done much to impress me. The defense as a whole can't stop the run, get consistant pressure on QB's, and almost always give up a big play when they just need to hold one play. That being said, I wouldn't be upset at all if we kept Canty at a reasonable rate.

I agree, Canty has been playng well though, I record the games and rewatch them looking at certain players each play and thus far he's had a good season, but I don't wanna break the bak for him, but our D-line needs work and if we lost him that's just yet another D-lineman we will need to replace him, he's not the run defense problem, that's the undersized N.T. and Spears sincve teams run predominantly to our defenses left side which is Spears side, haven't seen many runs more then a few yards to Canty's side.

"GROSS is a LEFT TACKLE, you're gonna pay him L.T. money to play R.T.???"

-He IS a left tackle. Moving Flozell Adams to right tackle might actually prolong his career a few seasons.

Can we AFFORD to bring in a L.T. for the money he wants?
I dont' think Flozell could make the switch to R.T., not sure, but I remember he is DEAF in one ear and it's his left ear it would be hard for him to hear the snap count from the R.T. position.
If he could make switch to R.T. and we coudl afford Groos I'm all for it, I just dont' think we can afford it since we are paying Davis/Gurode/Flo to big contracts already and don't know if we want to spend Left Tackle money again, we paid Flo L.T. money, so either cut him or play him at L.T.!

"Now you're getting into too much Madden, this aint' gonna happen."

-From everything I've read we have now tried to acquire Beck twice. I'm guessing that we might try one more time."

I don't think Carpenter for him is gonna get it done.

"WAY TOO MUCH MADDEN, why on EARTH would the Steelers trade away their Pro-Bowl N.T. who makes their defense work????
AND for only a 3rd and 4th rounder"

-This one has some wishful thinking involved but Hampton will be in the final year of his contract and will have a 2009 cap hit around $8 M. The Steelers are one of the smartest teams around when it comes to free agency and the salary cap. They almost never overpay players so they will likely lose Hampton without compensation in 2010. Where Jerry is anxious to win now and would be willing to sign Hampton to an extension.

I just don't see them parting ways with the ANCHOR of their defense!
Plus I don't know if we can afford him, we are short on the cap as it is with the Roy Williams signing and still needing to sign Canty and lets not forget Ware is gonna up for as HUGE contract soon as well.

"Like the safety, but would draft him a round later, and WHY ON EARTH would we use such a hig pick on an O.L.B. when we have Ware and Specner LOCKED IN as our starters for the next decade, and WHY ON EARTH if we just signed Dawkins to a 3 year deal and have Hamlin locked up for abou 5 years would we use our TOP DRAFT PICK on a SAFETY??????
So you basically have us using our TOP TWO PICKS in this years drafts to be BACKUPS for at LEAST 3 years, MIND BOGGLING to say the least."

-Do we honestly think with the talent we have on this roster we are going to draft any players outside of the 1st round to come in and start? Pegues is playmaker and would be groomed to replace Dawkins.

You do NOT draft a guy with your 1st pick in he draft to be groomed as the starter in THREE YEARS from now sine you want to sign Dawkins to a 3 year deal.
YES I think our top pick should come in and start if not this year the following year, with Hamlin and Dawkins, that won't happen.
Plus with so many other positions of need like N.T., Guard, R.T, etc., would you want to use our top pick on a position that his it's starters locked up for 3 years????

Matthews was picked to be a back-up pass rushing OLB since Ellis was released and also fill the Special teams void left by trading Bobby Carpenter. Dawkins signing a 3-year deal is just a way for the Cowboys to spread out a larger signing bonus. In reality, he would play 2-years and be released.

So our TOP DRAFT PICK would ride the bench for TWO YEARS beofre starting?
Why not your top pick on a N.T., R.T. or a Guard who can come in from day 1 and start?

As long as we use the draft to obtain a real NT, a safety with speed, and some O-Line depth I will be happy. A QB of the future would be nice too.

I AGREE, although if we sign Dawkins, I wouldn't see the need to draft a safety this year, would rather use that pick for another positon, or if we were to draft a safety after signign Dawkins, it would be a late round prospect, not our top pick.

IMO if we would just re-sign Canty and can somehow sign Dawkins, that would be a good enough off season for me with us being thin on the cap.
I would like to REVAMP the O-line, L.G. and R.T. need upgrades IMO!

Give me G. Herman Johnson with our top pick, then Trade up for N.T. B.J. Raji with our 2nd pick and then draft a huge R.T. to compete with Doug free for the R.T. spot and I'd be a happy camper.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2418598 said:
Assuming we don't win the Superbowl...

Fire Wade Phillips.
Promote Jason Garrett to Head Coach.
Sign Dick LeBeau (Pittsburgh) and name him Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator.

Draftday Trades

Wade Phillips may get fired, and Jason Garrett may get hired, but LeBeau isn't leaving Pittsburgh. He has no ambitions to be a head coach again, so why leave a team/city you're comfortable in and start with a new team?

Okay releasing Roy Williams makes sense because he makes too much money to be a back-up. The same is not true for Ellis. IMO, the only thing more annoying than the his whinning are the people that want him gone while he's still a good value to the team.

Definately too much to give up for Beck. I may get blasted for this, but if Alex Smith is released I wouldn't mind bringing him in. He had some success in a similar offense when Norv was in SF. Definately makes no sense for Pittsburgh to trade Hampton