Mock til you Drop: BAT 4.0

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
2nd Round
C Alex Mack, California - 6'4 315 4.97 (Trade Up - Ellis to Detroit)

3rd Round
SS Pat Chung, Oregon - 5'11 215 4.49 (initially nickel LB & ST demon)

4th Round
OLB David Veikune, Hawaii - 6'3 257 4.79 (Pick Acquired via trade on draft day)
FB James Casey, Rice - 6'3 246 4.74
WR Mike Thomas, Arizona - 5'9 195 4.44 (compete at slot & returner)

5th Round
NT/DE Sammie Lee Hill, Stillman - 6'4 330 5.12
LB Zack Follett, California - 6'2 238 4.63 (can play inside or out, ST demon)
CB Lardarius Webb, Nicholls State - 5'10 180 4.35 (super aggressive, super confident defensive, offensive & ST playmaker)

6th Round
OG Roger Allen, Western Missouri State - 6'3 326 5.25 (dominant nasty run blocker w/top notch work ethic)
NT Roy Miller, Texas - 6'1 310 4.89 (non-stop motor, underrated)

7th Round
DE Zach Potter, Nebraska - 6'7 285 4.94 (non-stop motor but not a lot of sacks, knack for INTs and FFs PLUS had 7 blocked kicks in 2008)
OT Sebastian Vollmer, Houston - 6'8 315 5.13 (huge & still getting bigger, stonewalled Sidbury at SR Bowl practices)

Option 2
2nd Round: Trade Up & take OLB Connor Barwin / Michael Johnson
3rd Round: C Eric wood instead of SS Pat Chung
4th Round: ILB Jason Williams instead of OLB David Veikune
5th Round: SS Jonathan Casillas instead of CB Lardarius Webb
6th Round: CB Brice McCain instead of NT Roy Miller

Option 3
3rd Round: Trade down & take ILB Jason Williams
4th Round: CB/S Bradley Fletcher instead of WR Mike Thomas (acquired pick)
5th Round: DL Mitch King instead of CB Lardarius Webb
5th Round: WR Johnny Knox (trade 6th & 7th to move up - lose Potter & Miller picks)

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
They are not going to draft a center with their first pick,and they DEFINITELY arnt trading UP to draft one there.

We already have a probowl Center in the prime of his career.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
BAT;2739331 said:
2nd Round
C Alex Mack, California - 6'4 315 4.97 (Trade Up - Ellis to Detroit)

3rd Round
SS Pat Chung, Oregon - 5'11 215 4.49 (initially nickel LB & ST demon)

4th Round
OLB David Veikune, Hawaii - 6'3 257 4.79 (Pick Acquired via trade on draft day)
FB James Casey, Rice - 6'3 246 4.74
WR Mike Thomas, Arizona - 5'9 195 4.44 (compete at slot & returner)

5th Round
CB Lardarius Webb, Nicholls State - 5'10 180 4.35 (super aggressive, super confident defensive, offensive & ST playmaker)

6th Round
OG Roger Allen, Western Missouri State - 6'3 326 5.25 (dominant nasty run blocker w/top notch work ethic)
NT Roy Miller, Texas - 6'1 310 4.89 (non-stop motor, underrated)

7th Round
DE Zach Potter, Nebraska - 6'7 285 4.94 (non-stop motor but not a lot of sacks, knack for INTs and FFs PLUS had 7 blocked kicks in 2008)
OT Sebastian Vollmer, Houston - 6'8 315 5.13 (huge & still getting bigger, stonewalled Sidbury at SR Bowl practices)

Option 2
2nd Round: Trade Up & take OLB Connor Barwin / Michael Johnson
3rd Round: C Eric wood instead of SS Pat Chung
4th Round: ILB Jason Williams instead of OLB David Veikune
5th Round: SS Jonathan Casillas instead of CB Lardarius Webb
6th Round: CB Brice McCain instead of NT Roy Miller

Option 3
3rd Round: Trade down & take ILB Jason Williams
4th Round: CB/S Bradley Fletcher instead of WR Mike Thomas (acquired pick)
5th Round: DL Mitch King instead of CB Lardarius Webb
5th Round: WR Johnny Knox (trade 6th & 7th to move up - Potter & Miller picks)

It's not a bad mock, I'm confused about Chungy though. LB and ST??:lmao: Isn't the guy suppose to be the next big thing at Safety?

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2739353 said:
It's not a bad mock, I'm confused about Chungy though. LB and ST??:lmao: Isn't the guy suppose to be the next big thing at Safety?

Note the word "initially". Self explanatory I thought.

As a nickel LB and future starting SS, he fills two integral Cowboys' needs (Casillas is another guy who could do both as well). There is no safety in this class who will step on the field and replace either Hamlin or Sensabaugh from the first day, barring injury of course.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
dbair1967;2739344 said:
They are not going to draft a center with their first pick,and they DEFINITELY arnt trading UP to draft one there.

Mack can also play guard. He is already bigger and more physical than Kosier. Not to mention, should Gurode go down, Mack would be a much better option than Proctor.

Top 3 Centers are rated higher than any Guard in this draft class. All three have great work ethic, character & versatility. High intangibles to along w/their athleticism, tenacity & size.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
BAT;2739365 said:
Mack can also play guard. He is already bigger and more physical than Kosier. Not to mention, should Gurode go down, Mack would be a much better option than Proctor.

I'm with you on upgrading from Proctor, especially in terms of getting a swing guy that can play C/G. I'm just not with you on doing it that early.

Top 3 Centers are rated higher than any Guard in this draft class. All three have great work ethic, character & versatility. High intangibles to along w/their athleticism, tenacity & size.

I agree on that too, that the best centers are all better prospects than the higher rated guards. I just think with Gurode, Davis, Kosier and Holland interior OL isnt much of a priority. I would like to see us add that swing guy in the middle or later rounds though.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
dbair1967;2739371 said:
I agree on that too, that the best centers are all better prospects than the higher rated guards. I just think with Gurode, Davis, Kosier and Holland interior OL isnt much of a priority. I would like to see us add that swing guy in the middle or later rounds though.

Who do you see as a viable option in the later rounds? Antoine Caldwell is the only other swing that I can see working for us, maybe TJ Lang (altho no experience at center, so would be a project pick), but both those guys will be gone by the 4th, maybe even the 3rd, there is going to be a run on centers after the first IMO. And neither are even close to the top 3 centers. I am of the opinion that the OL needs to have an IQ transfusion, or at the very least, some discipline_for all that talent/accolades, the OL has underachieved.

Woods

Reaction score
BAT;2739387 said:
Who do you see as a viable option in the later rounds? Antoine Caldwell is the only other swing that I can see working for us, maybe TJ Lang (altho no experience at center, so would be a project pick), but both those guys will be gone by the 4th. And neither are even close to the top 3 centers. I am of the opinion that the OL needs to have an IQ transfusion, or at the very least, some discipline_for all that talent/accolades, the OL has underachieved.

How about a guy like Brewster from Ball State?

And, we've shown interest in him as well.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Woods;2739444 said:

i can live with that draft;

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Woods;2739444 said:

Dbair and I are discussing an OG/C swing. Brewster is an OG/OT swing. And Brewster's forte is pass blocking, not run blocking. He is tough, but does not get a lot of push in the run game. Although he is supposed to be smart & nimble, maybe center could be an option, but again, a project. Projects will not push Proctor, not this season.

Not sure if he is the answer at OG or OT either, as the O is supposed to be more run oriented next season.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
With the intensified interest in Casey, tweaked it just a tad_every single one is high character, hard working, physical, intelligent, versatile & super productive:

2nd Round
C Max Unger, Oregon - 6'5 309 5.25

3rd Round
ILB Jason Williams, W Illinois - 6'1 241 4.46 (trade down - add fourth)
FB James Casey, Rice - 6'3 246 4.71 (trade up - 4th & player/future pick)

4th Round
OLB David Veikune, Hawaii - 6'3 257 4.79
DL Mitch King, Iowa -6'2 280 4.85 (elite intangibles, violent hands, quickness)

5th Round
SS Jonathan Casillas, Wisconsin - 6'1 228 4.42

6th Round
WR Johnny Knox, Abilene Christian - 6'0 180 4.29 (hands & speed)

7th Round
CB Brice McCain, Utah - 5'9 185 4.33

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
If Antoine Caldwell can be as good or better than Kosier at LG, I think the Cowboys should consider taking him at 69 if he's there. He gets rid of Proctor and gives you legit depth a guard and center. If Gurode has to miss a game, you are covered.

Caldwell plays with a very wide base, and he's strong. He's a very good run blocker. He's very good in pass protection, and he's smart.

He looked good at guard at the Senior Bowl.

I wouldn't be upset if Dallas took him in round 3.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
41gy#;2739983 said:
If Antoine Caldwell can be as good or better than Kosier at LG, I think the Cowboys should consider taking him at 69 if he's there. He gets rid of Proctor and gives you legit depth a guard and center. If Gurode has to miss a game, you are covered.

Caldwell plays with a very wide base, and he's strong. He's a very good run blocker. He's very good in pass protection, and he's smart.

He looked good at guard at the Senior Bowl.

I wouldn't be upset if Dallas took him in round 3.

Caldwell would be a good consolation pick if neither of the top 3 are available. But he does not make my mock due to his suspension (character) & lack of awareness (instincts) when plays break down in backfield. He does have good leadership & football IQ but does not always play w/a mean streak. I want my OL to be nasty, all the dang time. And while he has a nice burst off the snap, his lateral ability is not that good. Good lower body strength but is more of a grab and hold type blocker, doesn't have a great punch either. He is versatile experience at every line position, but not enough lateral ability to play OT at next level and not physical enough as an OG in our system, probably not much of an upgrade to Kosier, if at all.

I like him, just don't love him. I almost prefer Lang over Caldwell, he is nastier and plays with more urgency. Always looks to finish.

So who would you take w/51 if its Caldwell at 69?

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
BAT;2739999 said:
Caldwell would be a good consolation pick if neither of the top 3 are available. But he does not make my mock due to his suspension (character) & lack of awareness (instincts) when plays break down in backfield. He does have good leadership & football IQ but does not always play w/a mean streak. I want my OL to be nasty, all the dang time. And while he has a nice burst off the snap, his lateral ability is not that good. Good lower body strength but is more of a grab and hold type blocker, doesn't have a great punch either. He is versatile experience at every line position, but not enough lateral ability to play OT at next level and not physical enough as an OG in our system, probably not much of an upgrade to Kosier, if at all.

I like him, just don't love him. I almost prefer Lang over Caldwell, he is nastier and plays with more urgency. Always looks to finish.

So who would you take w/51 if its Caldwell at 69?

I don't know about some of that, Bat. I watched Alabama play a whole lot. Alabama has only had 8 two time team captains, and Caldwell is one of them. He was a four year starter. Someone is going to be very happy with him.

That text book incident isn't going to hurt his draft status.

He is very aware to twists and stunts. He picks them up and has great vision and instincts. You need to recheck that.

He does have a powerful punch. He comes of the snap low and fast and has good pop. Alabama had the most physical offensive line in the country. His lower body is very powerful, and he plays with a wide base. His upper body can get stronger.

He may not be the best lateral agility guy, but he ran the zone reach block, from the Senior Bowl, and did it very well. Plus, he answered questions about his lateral movement at the Senior Bowl. Caldwell has great feet.

In my opinion, Wood and Caldwell would be the two guys Dallas would want. Wood is out of reach.

You give Caldwell one year of weight training where his upper body strength catches up to his lower body strength, and I think he will get better. He's already good. He was an All-American.

In 2005, Caldwell started his first 11 games at LG. He can play 3 OL positions. He played all 5 at 'Bama before he graduated.

You know, Mack/Unger is not the power player that Caldwell is. Caldwell has 34 inch arms, and he knows how to use them. He understands and uses leverage. He is outstanding at that. Plus, he is an expert at blocking angles.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
dbair1967;2739344 said:

I think you're right about that, but at the same time, Mack can also play guard... so worst case scenario, he could backup all along the interior of the OL, and eventually be ready to step into a starting role...

silverbear

Reaction score
dbair1967;2739371 said:
I'm with you on upgrading from Proctor, especially in terms of getting a swing guy that can play C/G. I'm just not with you on doing it that early.

Would you be content with Antoine Caldwell at pick 101??

silverbear

Reaction score
Woods;2739444 said:

The closer we get to the draft, the more I like him and Roger Allen... I also like Cornelius Lewis... the Boys have shown some interest in all 3 of them...

I'd take 2 of those 3 from the 5th round on, and not mind if the Boys didn't draft any offensive linemen earlier (even though I have often said that I want to upgrade the OL depth in this draft)...

silverbear

Reaction score
41gy#;2739983 said:
If Antoine Caldwell can be as good or better than Kosier at LG, I think the Cowboys should consider taking him at 69 if he's there.

He'd more than likely be there at 101... I just don't see the Boys going OL that early (at pick 69), even if I did have them drafting Duke Robinson at 51 in my draft analysis... these last coupla days, I'm reconsidering that, simply because of the signals coming out of Valley Ranch...

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
silverbear;2740025 said:
He'd more than likely be there at 101... I just don't see the Boys going OL that early (at pick 69), even if I did have them drafting Duke Robinson at 51 in my draft analysis... these last coupla days, I'm reconsidering that, simply because of the signals coming out of Valley Ranch...

You are probably right, silverbear. I'm with you. I'm hearing those signals, too.

I wish the Cowboys would invest a 3rd round pick in a proven guy, though.

I think Caldwell will come off the board in round 3. He's too good of a player to fall to round 4, imo.

The top three guys should be off the board by 51, especially Wood and Mack.

Caldwell could go to Bengals at pick 70 if they don't take a center in round 2. They need one.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
41gy#;2740016 said:
I don't know about some of that, Bat. I watched Alabama play a whole lot. Alabama has only had 8 two time team captains, and Caldwell is one of them. He was a four year starter. Someone is going to be very happy with him.

That text book incident isn't going to hurt his draft status.

He is very aware to twists and stunts. He picks them up and has great vision and instincts. You need to recheck that.]

Really? The scandal that caused him to be suspended is not going to affect his character grade? And I understand that he is very smart and savvy with what is going on in front of him, it is his awareness of what is going on behind him when a play breaks down that I was commenting on.

To be honest, the few games I watched last year and the year before, Caldwell looked dominant, actually the entire OL looked dominat. It is only reading all the reports that I have been informed of some of his weaknesses.

41gy#;2740016 said:
He does have a powerful punch. He comes of the snap low and fast and has good pop. Alabama had the most physical offensive line in the country. His lower body is very powerful, and he plays with a wide base. His upper body can get stronger.].

Hey just reporting what I read. I have no first hand knowledge of his punch or his ability to reload, but several analyses states that all of his power comes from his legs, and he needs to gain power in the upper body, which will help his punch, which is nothing special.

41gy#;2740016 said:
He may not be the best lateral agility guy, but he ran the zone reach block, from the Senior Bowl, and did it very well. Plus, he answered questions about his lateral movement at the Senior Bowl. Caldwell has great feet.].

He is fast, that is not in doubt. Good burst out his stance, but NFLDS lists his lateral ability as a weakness.

41gy#;2740016 said:
In my opinion, Wood and Caldwell would be the two guys Dallas would want. Wood is out of reach.

You give Caldwell one year of weight training where his upper body strength catches up to his lower body strength, and I think he will get better. He's already good. He was an All-American.

In 2005, Caldwell started his first 11 games at LG. He can play 3 OL positions. He played all 5 at 'Bama before he graduated.

You know, Mack/Unger is not the power player that Caldwell is.

You're right about Wood, he may be overtaking Mack soon. But Unger also played every line position, with distinction. While Unger also needs to put on muscle, he is nasty play to the whistle type. His tenacious play, always stalking, head on a swivel, in your face approach is very attractive.

Unger's technique, high character, intelligence & disposition combined w/his frame (lean 6'5 w/room to easily put on 20-25 lbs) give him the highest upside IMO.

But I understand that familiarity could be blinding. I followed Unger more closely and as such am bound to be partial.