Mock You Like a Hurricane

Randy White

Reaction score
Biggems;3251692 said:
Salary was the reason I put Spears on the gone list of my mock the other day. I figure he is going to go Canty on us. I cant blame him either. If someone is willing to throw huge amounts of money at him, I would not be upset if he took it. As long as he doesn't end up a Skin or Eagle, I am cool.

Tell you what: I'd be SHOCKED, as in: Tony Romo got cut today shocked, if any team in the NFL throws even half the contract that Canty got at Spears. As a matter of fact, Canty did a diservice to Spears being such a bust in his first year for the G-men.

Spears needs to thread very carefuly here now. Would he be happy for an extra 1 million somewhere else ( and I'd be surprised if it's that much ) or give the Cowboys a home discount and stay where you're happy ? The Cowboys are not going to bendover backwards to keep him, probably offer him something in the 2 mills per year range, maybe a little more, with a respectable guaranteed sum, and he should just on it faster than a horny rabbit on a cage full of females. If he fools around too much, he might end up playing for the minimum somewhere else.

Cowboys need to be very careful here too. Igor set the market for the D-linemen in Dallas, and the first priority is to make sure Ratt's next contract is the one doing that, not Spears'.

RS12

Reaction score
Hostile;3251274 said:
We've had rain in Tucson. It's actually cold. High in the 50's. For all of you who live where it gets cold, shut up. I'm freezing my royal trash off.

:D

I feel like the top 2 picks need to be potential starters right away.

Comments always welcome.

1. Jared Odrick, DE, Penn State, 6'5", 305. We have 3 FA DEs and I doubt we keep all 3. Odrick plays in a 3-4 scheme and is has a top notch motor. He can start if we lose Spears or be groomed for a couple of years. Will pressure the QB because he plays in the opponents backfield.

2. Mike Johnson, OG, Alabama, 6'6", 305. If we can't get Odrick I think we take Iupati in the 1st. Either way Kosier needs to be the top interior backup and the OL mentor. It is clear his body is breaking down and we need huge beef inside.

3. Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB, IUP, 6'1", 200. He is quickly becoming my pet cat because of his return skills. If we take Iupati in the 1st another Bama product Javier Arenas might be the choice in the 2nd because he can be the return man and CB depth. He is top value for our needs. I consider the Return game a serious need for upgrade. Perhaps our most serious need.

4. Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale, 6'8", 325. This is a small school gamble pick on an athletic freak. Exactly the kind of risks that pay off huge and this guy defines huge. Jason Fox of Miami is dropping on draft boards due to medical concerns. He would be another candidate.

6. John Estes, C, Hawaii, 6'2", 300.
Reminds me of Kevin Mawae. Plays mad as hell and fills a need for the Cowboys as far as OL depth. The only Center I like better is Olsen from Notre Dame whom I would gladly take in the 4th if we pass on OT.

7. Naaman Roosevelt, WR, Buffalo, 6'0", 190. Jerry can say we aren't looking at WR, but I don't buy it. For the last 2 years this guy's production is off the charts. He fits the bill of a 3rd WR perfectly. I can see a future of him, Ogletree and Austin and I like it.

Royal trash?:laugh1: I have to say I dont hate it. Wonder if Odrick could also fill in at NT?

RS12

Reaction score
Randy White;3251805 said:
Tell you what: I'd be SHOCKED, as in: Tony Romo got cut today shocked, if any team in the NFL throws even half the contract that Canty got at Spears. As a matter of fact, Canty did a diservice to Spears being such a bust in his first year for the G-men.

Spears needs to thread very carefuly here now. Would he be happy for an extra 1 million somewhere else ( and I'd be surprised if it's that much ) or give the Cowboys a home discount and stay where you're happy ? The Cowboys are not going to bendover backwards to keep him, probably offer him something in the 2 mills per year range, maybe a little more, with a respectable guaranteed sum, and he should just on it faster than a horny rabbit on a cage full of females. If he fools around too much, he might end up playing for the minimum somewhere else.

Cowboys need to be very careful here too. Igor set the market for the D-linemen in Dallas, and the first priority is to make sure Ratt's next contract is the one doing that, not Spears'.

Spears is under club control in an uncapped year. If somebody wants to give draft picks for him, I'll take it.

Randy White

Reaction score
RS12;3251941 said:
Spears is under club control in an uncapped year. If somebody wants to give draft picks for him, I'll take it.

I'm right behind you in that line.

Pottsville Maroons

Reaction score
Hostile;3251274 said:
2. Mike Johnson, OG, Alabama, 6'6", 305. If we can't get Odrick I think we take Iupati in the 1st. Either way Kosier needs to be the top interior backup and the OL mentor. It is clear his body is breaking down and we need huge beef inside.

6. John Estes, C, Hawaii, 6'2", 300. Reminds me of Kevin Mawae. Plays mad as hell and fills a need for the Cowboys as far as OL depth. The only Center I like better is Olsen from Notre Dame whom I would gladly take in the 4th if we pass on OT.

Hostile;3251310 said:
Adams, Johnson or Iupati, Gurode, Davis, Columbo
Free, Kosier, Olsen or Estes, Brewster, Free

To me that is 10 OL I can get behind. I still like the Bright kid on the PS too.

Hos, maybe you can answer a question I posed in another thread about Iupati. I've read on here where Kosier helps Gurode w/ line calls and we're still missing blocking assignments. If Kosier does help him, my concern with replacing Kosier is the effect it will have on Gurode re line calls.

If we drafted a Guard, wouldn't we a. also need to draft a starting-quality Center and relegate both Kosier and Gurode to backup duty or b. focus on only drafting the Center and let Gurode move over to Guard?

Getting an upgrade at Guard would be great but if the Center isn't making the right calls, the whole line is weakened, right?

Edit: I should have added that it's possible Iupati could help with the calls, but I don't see the same level of help, given that he'd be a rookie. I'm not saying we should pass on Iupati, but at least short-term, filling the OG need magnifies an issue with the OC.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Your assumption is that Iupati couldn't also help make the line calls and that it's ok to pass on the highest rated player at a position of need because of perceived deficiencies with a player already on your roster.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
dallasfaniac;3254985 said:
Your assumption is that Iupati couldn't also help make the line calls and that it's ok to pass on the highest rated player at a position of need because of perceived deficiencies with a player already on your roster.

He started playing football at 14 and had trouble w/ english for years. Obviously a hard worker but might be years from that.

How about Gurode stops being a dummy?

The Realist

Reaction score

Your assumption is that A) OG is a position of need and that B) We won't resign Kosier or C) His replacement isn't already on the roster.

DFWJC

Reaction score
VACowboy;3251667 said:
Great mock, Hos. AOA is my pet too. Guy is big, fast, versatile and productive.
I guess he's moving up already. I've see him sloted in the 5th-6th round in many online mocks. Oh well..the cream rises as they say.

Pottsville Maroons

Reaction score

I should have added that it's possible Iupati could help with the calls, but I don't see the same level of help, given that he'd be a rookie. I'm not saying we should pass on Iupati, but at least short-term, filling the OG need magnifies an issue with the OC.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
The Realist;3255008 said:
Your assumption is that A) OG is a position of need and that B) We won't resign Kosier or C) His replacement isn't already on the roster.

Your assumption is that OG is the position of need I am referring to. ;)

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;3251581 said:
White?

jared.jpg

the hell? now I don't want him

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Hos, I'm with you. After having seen Odrick play for PSU this year, and watching the SB practice, I like the idea of this kid wearing the star. I like Spears and Olshansky, but ever since the Boys went to the 3-4, I've been hoping for a DE that can stop the run and get consistent pressure on the QB.